- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Changgyeongwon Ya-Aeng as Modern Urban Culture - An Interpretation based on Benjamin's Phantasmagoria -
근대 도시 문화로서 창경원 야앵 - 벤야민의 '판타스마고리아'를 중심으로 -
- Kwon, Young-Ran (Dept. of Landscape Architecture, Graduate School, Seoul National University) ;
- Pae, Jeong-Hann (Dept. of Landscape Architecture and Rural Systems Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.11
- Published : 2018.02.28
This study sought to interpret the Ya-Aeng (夜櫻) from the viewpoint of urban society, focusing on the occurrence of the Ya-Aeng at Changgyeongwon (昌慶苑) in the modern city of Kyungsung. When the Ya-Aeng started in the 1920s, the social aspects of Kyungsung were in a transitional period from the traditional to the modern. The social modernization of Kyungsung has had a dramatic impact on the Ya-Aeng as a part of the city culture. Using the concept of 'phantasmagoria', which was widespread in Kyungsung society and the Ya-Aeng, this study has established three implications of the Ya-Aeng. First, Kyungsung's phantasmagoria appeared in the form of crowds, spectacles, and experiences. This study suggests that such interpretation also applies to the Ya-Aeng. This means that the capitalism-controlled modern society on one hand and the Ya-Aeng on the other had the same mechanism. Therefore, the Ya-Aeng, as modern city culture, becomes a miniature version of Kyungsung and a modern commodity world in itself. Second, the fact that phantasmagoria is a major element of the landscape of the Ya-Aeng means that there is a special way of seeing. For modern subjects, the phantasmagoria of the Ya-Aeng has acted as a learning mechanism for a modern way of seeing. Third and finally, the phantasmagoria of the Ya-Aeng was an illusion to encourage the continued consumption of this culture and at the same time, forget about the capitalism-controlled urban culture. At this time, capitalism was dominated by the influence of Japanese imperialism. The significance of this study lies in that it expands the idea of the Ya-Aeng from the events inside Changgyeongwon into the urban culture, which is a projection of modern urban society. In addition, where the Ya-Aeng in the past had been regarded as a decadent and poor-quality spring celebration in comparison to the traditional spring celebration, this study proposes a new point of view for the Ya-Aeng in an urban social context.
- Benjamin, W.(1983a) Das Passagen-Werk 1. Translated by Cho, H. J. Seoul: Saemulgyeol. 2005.
- Benjamin, W.(1983b) Das Passagen-Werk 2. Translated by Cho, H. J. Seoul: Saemulgyeol. 2006.
- Buck-Morss, S.(1991) Dialectics of Seeing: Walter Benjamin and the arcades project. Translated by Kim, J. A. Paju: Munhakdongne. 2004.
- Gwon, B. D. R.(2008) 1910s, Read The Era of Rumors. Seoul: The Dongguk University Press.
- Han, S. W.(2016) Commodity and allegory. Studies in Urban Humanities 8(2): 105-132. https://doi.org/10.21458/siuh.2016.8.2.005
- Kim, B. Y.(2007) The spectacle effects of the empire and the urban experiences of the colonized -The department store and the consumption culture in the 1930s Seoul. Journal of Society and History 75: 77-113.
- Kim, B. Y.(2009) (The) Dominance and Space. Seoul: Moonji Publications.
- Kim, H. G.(2011) A study in interpreting peoples enjoyment under cherry blossom in modern times. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 29(4): 124-136.
- Kim, H. S.(2008) Night cherry blossoms festival and Yojakura(夜櫻) at Changgyeong garden. Journal of the Korean Modern & Contemporary Art History 19: 139-162.
- Kim, J. E.(2014) Spring celebrations and modernity in Korea and Japan. Journal of Japanese Studies 22: 77-109.
- Kim, J. E.(2015) The image of Changgyeongwon and culture of pleasure grounds during the Japanese colonial period. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 43(6): 1-15. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2015.43.6.001
- Kim, J. S.(1999a) Formation of Modernity: Allow the Dance Hall in Kyungsung. Seoul: Reality Culture Studies.
- Kim, Y. K.(1999b) Study on Changes and Characteristics of Everyday Life during the Japaness Colonization of Korea: Focused on 'Keijo' Area. Ph.D. Dissertation, Yonsei University. Korea.
- Kwon, C. R.(2011) Urban experience of Kim Yu-jung's novels and a form of phantasmagoria. The Journal of Korean Fiction Research 47: 43-68.
- Kwon, Y. S.(2009) (The) Montage of World and History, Benjamin's Arcade Project. Seoul: Greenbee.
- Lee, S. W.(2004) Korean Modern Literature and Urban Culture. Seoul: Culture Science.
- Na, B. C.(2016) The modern phantasmagoria experiences and aesthetics of non-identity. The Journal of Korean Modern Literature 49: 35-66.
- Oh, C. Y.(1993) 80-Year History of Zoos in Korea: Changgyeongwon: 1907-1983. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan City.
- Shin, M. J.(2003) Modern Boy Walking in Kyungsung. Seoul: Reality Culture Studies.
- Shim, H. R.(2010) Die surrealistische stadt und das erlebnis der stadt: In bezug auf die theorie von walter Benjamin. Journal of Pan-Korean Philosophical Society 56: 207-234.
- Maeil Shinbo(每日申(新)報).
- The Chosun Ilbo(朝鮮日報).
- The Dong-A Ilbo(東亞日報).