- Volume 54 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A basic study on the introduction of safety management system for the costal/offshore fishing vessels in Korea
연근해어선 안전관리체제 도입에 관한 기초 연구
- RYU, Kyung-Jin (Ship Operation Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- KIM, Hyung-seok (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University) ;
- LEE, Yoo-Won (Training Ship, Pukyong National University) ;
- AN, Young-Su (Institute of Marine Industry, College of Marine Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2018.01.29
- Accepted : 2018.02.21
- Published : 2018.02.28
This study analyzed the condition of marine accident and disaster rate of crew of Korean fishing vessels by vessel type, and checked the Australian safety management system and relevant regulation in Korea to suggest measures to build coastal/offshore fishing vessel safety management system in Korean coastal/offshore fishery. As a result, the power and production amount of Korean coastal/offshore fishing vessel is consistently decreasing while marine accident is increasing. Disaster rate of crew was higher than land industry, especially, the disaster rate of coastal/offshore fishing vessel was very high (100.0‰). Australia applies safety management system differed by vessel type and operation waters which fully considers the characteristics of pertinent vessel. The average accident rate of fishing vessels with gross tonnage over 20 tons among the Korean coastal/offshore fishing vessel was 13.6%, which was significantly higher than fishing vessels with gross tonnage below 20 tons (1.4%). Such result indicates it is urgent to implement safety management system to fishing vessel with gross tonnage over 20 tons and introduce fishing vessel safety supervisor. Establishing safety management system of coastal/offshore fishing vessel will contribute to consistent industrial development by achieving the general goal of reducing marine accident and spreading safety culture.
Safety management system;Costal/offshore Fishing vessel;Fishing vessel safety
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority(AMSA). 2014. Sample safety management system document for A class 3B operation. 1-31.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority(AMSA). 2016. A guide to your Vessel Safety Management System. 1-51.
- Kim WS, Cho YB, Kim SJ, Ryu KJ and Lee YW. 2014. A basic research on risk control measure for reducing the fisherman's occupational accidents in offshore and coastal fishing vessel. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 50(4), 614-622. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.614) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.614
- Korea Maritime Institute(KMI). 2017. Industrial trend analysis, 13, 1-8.
- Korean Maritime Safety Tribunal(KMST). 2017. statistics of marine accident and casualty, 52-64.
- Korea Seafarer's Welfare & Employment Center(KSWMC). 2015, 2016. Korean Seafarer's Statistical Year Book.
- Lee YW, Kim SJ, Park TG, Park TS, Kim HS and Ryu KJ. 2016. A basic study on the introduction of safety management system for the deep-sea fishing vessel in Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 52(3), 281-288. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.4.281) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.4.281
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries(MOF), 2017. 2017 Maritime Safety Implementation Plan, 1-208.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries(MOF), 2018. Statistical system of Oceans and Fisheries, https://www.mof.go.kr/statPortal/.
- Noh CK and Chong CH. 2005. A fundamental study on the introduction result analysis and activation plan establishment of coastal safety management code. Jour Kor Soc Mar Envir Safety 12(4), 23-29.
- Noh CK and Kim CS. 2006. Empirical study of ISM code induction effects by the Korean government. 2006 Spring Meeting of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, 27-31.
- Ryu KJ. 2018. Study on Safety Management System for fishing vessels in Korea. Doctor of Science thesis. Pukyong National University.
- Yang HS and Noh CK. 2010. A study on the Change of Domestic Marine Accidents and Insurance Rates according to Enforcement of ISM Code, Jour Kor Soc Mar Envir Safety 16(1), 65-69.
- A study on appearance frequencies and fishing ground exploration of low-run fishing obtained by analyzing AIS data of vessels in the sea around Jeju Island vol.54, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.2.157