- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Seismic behaviour of gravity load designed flush end-plate joints
- Cassiano, David (Constructure, Ltd) ;
- D'Aniello, Mario (Department of Structures for Engineering and Architecture, University of Naples "Federico II") ;
- Rebelo, Carlos (ISISE, University of Coimbra)
- Received : 2017.06.12
- Accepted : 2017.12.23
- Published : 2018.03.10
Flush end-plate (FEP) beam-to-column joints are commonly used for gravity load resisting parts in steel multi-storey buildings. However, in seismic resisting structures FEP joints should also provide rotation capacity consistent with the global structural displacements. The current version of EN1993-1-8 recommends a criterion aiming at controlling the thickness of the end-plate in order to avoid brittle failure of the connection, which has been developed for monotonic loading conditions assuming elastic-perfectly plastic behaviour of the connection's components in line with the theory of the component method. Hence, contrary to the design philosophy of the hierarchy of resistances implemented in EN1998-1, the over strength and the hardening of the plastic components are not directly accounted for. In light of these considerations, this paper describes and discusses the results obtained from parametric finite element simulations aiming at investigating the moment-rotation response of FEP joints under cyclic actions. The influence of bolt diameter, thickness of end-plate, number of bolt rows and shape of beam profile on the joint response is discussed and design requirements are proposed to enhance the ductility of the joints.
cyclic loading;beam-to-column joints;FEM;flush end-plate;seismic design
- AISC (2016a), AISC 341-16-Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings, Chicago, IL, USA.
- AISC (2016b), ANSI/AISC 358-16-Prequalified connections for special and intermediate steel moment frames for seismic applications, Chicago, IL, USA.
- AISC (2016c), ANSI/AISC 360-16-Specification for structural steel buildings, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Aribert, J., Braham, M. and Lachal, A. (2004), "Testing of "simple" joints and their characterization for structural analysis", J. Constr. Steel Res., 60(3-5), 659-681. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00135-4
- Boorse, M. (1999), "Evaluation of the inelastic rotation capability of flush end-plate moment connections", M.Sc. Thesis; Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, USA.
- Borgsmiller, J.T. and Murray, T.M. (1995), "Simplified method for design of moment end-plate connections", Report No. CE/VPIST 95/19, Blacksburg, VA, USA.
- Broderick, B.M. and Thomson, A.W. (2002), "The response of flush end-plate joints under earthquake loading", J. Constr. Struct. Res., 58(9), 1161-1175. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00073-6
- Cassiano, D., D'Aniello, M., Rebelo, C., Landolfo, R. and Silva, L.S. (2016), "Influence of seismic design rules on the robustness of steel moment resisting frames", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(3), 479-500. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.3.479
- Cassiano, D., D'Aniello, M. and Rebelo, C. (2017), "Parametric finite element analyses on flush end-plate joints under column removal", J. Constr. Steel Res., 137, 77-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.06.012
- CEN (2004), EN 1998-1-Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance-Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, Brussels, Belgium.
- CEN (2005), EN 1993-1-8-Eurocode 3-Design of steel structures-Part 1-8: Design of joints, Brussels, Belgium.
- Chi, W.M., Kanvinde, A.M. and Deierlein, G.G. (2006), "Prediction of ductile fracture in steel connections using SMCS criterion", J. Struct. Eng., 132(2), 171-181. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:2(171)
- D'Aniello, M., Cassiano, D. and Landolfo, R. (2016), "Monotonic and cyclic inelastic tensile response of European preloadable gr10.9 bolt assemblies", J. Constr. Steel Res., 124, 77-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.05.017
- D'Aniello, M., Tartaglia, R., Costanzo, S. and Landolfo, R. (2017a), "Seismic design of extended stiffened end-plate joints in the framework of Eurocodes", J. Constr. Steel Res., 128, 512-527. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.09.017
- D'Aniello, M., Cassiano, D. and Landolfo, R. (2017b), "Simplified criteria for finite element modelling of European preloadable bolts", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 24(6), 643-658.
- Dassault (2013), Abaqus 6.13-Abaqus Analysis User's Manual, Dassault SystemesSimulia Corp.
- Dusicka, P., Itani, A.M. and Buckle, I.G. (2007), "Cyclic response of steel plates under large inelastic strains", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(2), 156-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.03.006
- El-Tawil, S., Vidarsson, E., Mikesell, T. and Kunnath, S.K. (1999), "Inelastic behaviour and design of steel panel zones", J. Struct. Eng., 125(2), 183-193. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:2(183)
- Fang, C., Izzuddin, B.A., Elghazouli, A.Y. and Nethercot, D.A. (2013), "Robustness of multi-storey car parks under localised fire-towards practical design recommendations", J. Constr. Steel Res., 90, 193-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.08.004
- Fang C., Izzuddin B.A., Obiala R., Elghazouli, A.Y. and Nethercot, D.A. (2012), "Robustness of multi-storey car parks under vehicle fire", J. Constr. Steel Res., 75, 72-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.004
- Gioncu, V., Mosoarca, M. and Anastasiadis, A. (2014), "Local ductility of steel elements under near-field earthquake loading", J. Constr. Steel Res., 101, 33-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.05.001
- Girao Coelho, A.M. and Bijlaard, F. (2007), "Experimental behaviour of high strength steel end-plate connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(9), 1228-1240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.11.010
- Girao Coelho, A.M., da Silva, L.S. and Bijlaard, F. (2004), "Characterisation of the nonlinear behaviour of single bolted TStub connections", Connections in Steel Structures V.
- Hancock, J.W. and Mackenzie, A.C. (1976), "On the mechanics of ductile failure in high-strength steel subjected to multi-axial stress-states", J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 24(3), 147-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(76)90024-7
- ISO (2009), EN ISO 2560 - Welding consumables. Covered electrodes for manual metal arc welding of non-alloy and fine grain steels.
- Kuhlmann, U., Rolle, L., Jaspart, J.P., Demonceau, J.F., Vassart, O. and Weynand, K. (2009), "Robust structures by joint ductility - Final report", Research Fund for Coal and Steel.
- Lamarche, C.P. and Tremblay, R. (2011), "Seismically induced cyclic buckling of steel columns including residual-stress and strain-rate effects", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(9), 1401-1410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.10.008
- Myers, A.T., Kanvinde, A.M. and Deierlein, G.G. (2010), "Calibration of the SMCS Criterion for Ductile Fracture in Steels: Specimen Size Dependence and Parameter Assessment", J. Eng. Mech., 136(11), 1401-1410. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000178
- Pavlovic, M., Heistermann, C., Veljkovic, M., Pak, D., Feldmann, M., Rebelo, C. and Silva, L.S. (2015), "Connections in towers for wind converters, part I: Evaluation of down-scaled experiments", J. Constr. Steel Res., 115, 445-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.09.002
- Da Silva, L.S., Lima, L., Vellasco, P. and Andrade, S. (2004), "Behaviour of flush end-plate beam to column joints under bending and axial force", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 4(2), 77-94. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2004.4.2.077
- Srouji, R., Murray, T.M. and Kukreti, A.R. (1983), "Yield-line analysis of end-plate connections with bolt force predictions", Report No. FSEL/MBMA 8305, University of Oklahoma.
- Tartaglia, R. and D'Aniello, M. (2017), "Nonlinear performance of extended stiffened end plate bolted beam-to-column joints subjected to column removal", Open Civil Eng. J., 11(1), 369-383. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874149501711010369
- Tartaglia, R., D'Aniello, M., Rassati, G.A., Swanson, J.A. and Landolfo, R. (2018), "Full strength extended stiffened end-plate joints: AISC vs recent European design criteria", Eng. Struct., 159, 155-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.12.053
- Wang, W., Fang, C., Qin, X., Chen, Y. and Li, L. (2016), "Performance of practical beam-to-SHS column connections against progressive collapse", Eng. Struct., 106, 332-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.10.040
- Yu, H., Burgess, I., Davison, J. and Planck, R. (2011), "Experimental and numerical investigations of the behaviour of flush end plate connections at elevated temperatures", J. Constr. Eng., 137(1), 80-87.
- Zangouie, A.R. and Deylami, A. (2013), "Influence of beam flange thickness on seismic performance of flange plate connections", Proceedings of the 13th East Asia-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction (EASEC-13), Sapporo, Japan, September.