- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Deflection calculation method on GFRP-concrete-steel composite beam
- Tong, Zhaojie (Department of Bridge Engineering, School of Transportation, Southeast University) ;
- Song, Xiaodong (Department of Bridge Engineering, School of Transportation, Southeast University) ;
- Huang, Qiao (Department of Bridge Engineering, School of Transportation, Southeast University)
- Received : 2017.10.17
- Accepted : 2017.12.21
- Published : 2018.03.10
A calculation method was presented to calculate the deflection of GFRP-concrete-steel beams with full or partial shear connections. First, the sectional analysis method was improved by considering concrete nonlinearity and shear connection stiffness variation along the beam direction. Then the equivalent slip strain was used to take into consideration of variable cross-sections. Experiments and nonlinear finite element analysis were performed to validate the calculation method. The experimental results showed the deflection of composite beams could be accurately predicted by using the theoretical model or the finite element simulation. Furthermore, more finite element models were established to verify the accuracy of the theoretical model, which included different GFRP plates and different numbers of shear connectors. The theoretical results agreed well with the numerical results. In addition, parametric studies using theoretical method were also performed to find out the effect of parameters on the deflection. Based on the parametric studies, a simplified calculation formula of GFRP-concrete-steel composite beam was exhibited. In general, the calculation method could provide a more accurate theoretical result without complex finite element simulation, and serve for the further study of continuous GFRP-concrete-steel composite beams.
GFRP-concrete-steel;composite beam;deflection;finite element;slip;variable cross-sections
Supported by : China Communications Construction Company Ltd.
- Alagusundaramoorthy, P., Harik, I.E. and Choo, C.C. (2006), "Structural behavior of FRP composite bridge deck panels", J. Bridge Eng., 11(4), 384-393. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2006)11:4(384)
- Aref, A.J., Chiewanichakorn, M., Chen, S.S. and Ahn, I.S. (2007), "Effective slab width definition for negative moment regions of composite bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 12(3), 339-349. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:3(339)
- Berg, A.C., Bank, L.C., Oliva, M.G. and Russell, J.S. (2006), "Construction and cost analysis of an FRP reinforced concrete bridge deck", Constr. Build. Mater., 20(8), 515-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2005.02.007
- Cheng, L. (2011), "Flexural fatigue analysis of a CFRP form reinforced concrete bridge deck", Compos. Struct., 93(11), 2895-2902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2011.05.014
- Cho, K., Park, S.Y., Kim, S.T., Cho, J.R. and Kim, B.S. (2013), "Behavioral characteristics of precast FRP-concrete composite deck subjected to combined axial and flexural loads", Compos. B, 44(1), 679-685. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2012.01.079
- Dieter, D.A., Dietsche, J.S., Bank, L.C., Oliva, M. and Russell, J. (2002), "Concrete bridge decks constructed with fiberreinforced polymer stay-in-place forms and grid reinforcing", Transp. Res. Rec.: J. Transp. Res. Board, 1814, 219-226. https://doi.org/10.3141/1814-26
- Gao, D. (2017), "Experimental research on GFRP-concrete-steel composite bridge decks and shear connections", Master Dissertation; Southeast University, Nanjing, China.
- Goncalves, R. and Camotim, D. (2010), "Steel-concrete composite bridge analysis using generalised beam theory", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 10(3), 223-243. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.3.223
- Hanswille, G., Porsch, M. and Ustundag, C. (2007a), "Resistance of headed studs subjected to fatigue loading: Part I: Experimental study", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(4), 475-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.06.035
- Hanswille, G., Porsch, M. and Ustundag, C. (2007b), "Resistance of headed studs subjected to fatigue loading Part II: Analytical study", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(4), 485-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.06.036
- He, J., Liu, Y.Q., Chen, A.R. and Dai, L. (2012), "Experimental investigation of movable hybrid GFRP and concrete bridge deck", Constr. Build. Mater., 26(1), 49-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.05.002
- Honickman, H., Nelson, M. and Fam, A. (2009), "Investigation into the bond of glass fiber-reinforced polymer stay-in-place structural forms to concrete for decking applications", Transp. Res. Rec.: J. Transp. Res. Board, 2131, 134-144. https://doi.org/10.3141/2131-13
- Huang, Y., Huang, D., Yang, Y., Yi, W.J. and Zhu, Z.G. (2016), "Element-based effective width for deflection calculation of steel-concrete composite beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 121, 163-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.02.010
- JTGT D64-01-2015 (2015), Specifications for design and construction of highway steel-concrete composite bridge, MOT; Beijing, China.
- Khorramian, K., Maleki, S., Shariati, M., Jalali, A., and Tahir, M. M. (2017), "Numerical analysis of tilted angle shear connectors in steel-concrete composite systems", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 23(1), 67-85. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.23.1.067
- Moses, J.P., Harries, K.A., Earls, C.J. and Yulismana, W. (2006), "Evaluation of effective width and distribution factors for GFRP bridge decks supported on steel girders", J. Bridge Eng., 11(4), 401-409. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2006)11:4(401)
- Nelson, M. and Fam, A. (2012), "Structural GFRP permanent forms with T-shape ribs for bridge decks supported by precast concrete girders", J. Bridge Eng., 18(9), 813-826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000418
- Nelson, M. and Fam, A. (2014), "Modeling of flexural behavior and punching shear of concrete bridge decks with FRP stay-inplace forms using the theory of plates", J. Eng. Mech., 140(12), 04014095. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000813
- Nie, J.G. and Cai, C.S. (2003), "Steel-concrete composite beams considering shear slip effects", J. Struct. Eng., 129(4), 495-506. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:4(495)
- Nie, J., Cai, C.S. and Wang, T. (2005), "Stiffness and capacity of steel-concrete composite beams with profiled sheeting", Eng. Struct., 27(7), 1074-1085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.016
- Ranzi, G. and Zona, A. (2007), "A steel-concrete composite beam model with partial interaction including the shear deformability of the steel component", Eng. Struct., 29(11), 3026-3041. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.02.007
- Samaaneh, M.A., Sharif, A.M., Baluch, M.H. and Azad, A.K. (2016), "Numerical investigation of continuous composite girders strengthened with CFRP", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(6), 1307-1325. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.6.1307
- Tenchev, R.T. (1996), "Shear lag in orthotropic beam flanges and plates with stiffeners", Int. J. Solids Struct., 33(9), 1317-1334. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(95)00093-3
- Wang, Y.C. (1998), "Deflection of steel-concrete composite beams with partial shear interaction", J. Struct. Eng., 124(10), 1159-1165. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:10(1159)
- Wang, W.W., Dai, J.G. and Harries, K.A. (2013), "Intermediate crack-induced debonding in RC beams externally strengthened with prestressed FRP laminates", J. Reinf. Plast. Comp., 32(23), 1842-1857. https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684413492574
- Zheng, Y.Z., Wang, W.W. and Brigham, J.C. (2016), "Flexural behavior of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with a composite reinforcement layer: BFRP grid and ECC", Constr. Build. Mater., 115, 424-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.04.038
- Zhou, W.B., Li, S.J., Jiang, L.Z. and Qin, S.Q. (2015), "Vibration analysis of steel-concrete composite box beams considering shear lag and slip", Math. Probl. Eng., 2015(1), 1-8.
- Zou, B., Chen, A., Davalos, J.F. and Salim, H.A. (2011), "Evaluation of effective flange width by shear lag model for orthotropic FRP bridge decks", Compos. Struct., 93(2), 474-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2010.08.033