- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Development of a self-centering tension-only brace for seismic protection of frame structures
- Chi, Pei (Key Laboratory of Concrete and Prestressed Concrete Structures of the Ministry of Education, Southeast University) ;
- Guo, Tong (Key Laboratory of Concrete and Prestressed Concrete Structures of the Ministry of Education, Southeast University) ;
- Peng, Yang (College of Civil Engineering, Nanjing Tech University) ;
- Cao, Dafu (College of Civil Science and Engineering, Yangzhou University, 88 South University Avenue) ;
- Dong, Jun (College of Civil Engineering, Nanjing Tech University)
- Received : 2017.08.23
- Accepted : 2017.12.18
- Published : 2018.03.10
This study develops and numerically verifies an innovative seismically resilient bracing system. The proposed self-centering tension-only brace (SC-TOB) is composed of a tensioning system to provide a self-centering response, a frictional device for energy dissipation, and a high-strength steel cable as a bracing element. It is considered to be an improvement over the traditional self-centering braces in terms of lightness, high bearing capacity, load relief, and double-elongation capacity. In this paper, the mechanics of the system are first described. Governing equations deduced from the developed analytical model to predict the behavior of the system are then provided. The results from a finite element validation confirm that the SC-TOB performs as analytically predicted. Key parameters including the activation displacement and load, the self-centering parameter, and equivalent viscous damping are investigated, and their influences on the system behavior are discussed. Finally, a design procedure considering controlled softening behavior is developed and illustrated through a design example.
self-centering brace;tension-only brace;residual deformation;energy dissipation;pre-tension
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- AISC 341 (2010), Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings, American Institute of steel construction; Chicago, IL, USA.
- ASCE 7 (2010), Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures, American Society of Civil Engineers; Reston, VA, USA.
- Chi, P., Dong, J., Peng, Y. and Liew, J.Y.R. (2016), "Theoretical and numerical study on an innovative self-centering energydissipative tension-brace system", J. Vib. Shock., 35(21), 171-176. [In Chinese]
- Chopra, A.K. (2011), Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, (4th Edition), Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA.
- Chou, C.C. and Chen, Y.C. (2012), "Development and seismic performance of steel dual-core self-centering braces", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September.
- Chou, C.C., Chen, Y.C., Pham, D.H. and Truong, V.M. (2014), "Steel braced frames with dual-core SCBs and sandwiched BRBs: Mechanics, modeling and seismic demands", Eng. Struct., 72, 26-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.04.022
- Chou, C.C., Wu, T.H., Beato, A.R.O., Chung, P.T. and Chen, Y.C. (2016), "Seismic design and tests of a full-scale one-story onebay steel frame with a dual-core self-centering brace", Eng. Struct., 111, 435-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.12.007
- Christopoulos, C., Tremblay, R., Kim, H.J. and Lacerte, M. (2008), "Self-centering energy dissipative bracing system for the seismic resistance of structures: Development and validation", J. Struct. Eng., 134(1), 96-107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:1(96)
- Dassault Systems (2010), Abaqus User's Manual, (Version 6.10), Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, USA.
- Erochko, J., Christopoulos, C. and Tremblay, R. (2014), "Design and testing of an enhanced-elongation telescoping self-centering energy-dissipative brace", J. Struct. Eng., 141(6), 04014163. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001109
- Erochko, J., Christopoulos, C., Tremblay, R. and Kim, H.J. (2013), "Shake table testing and numerical simulation of a selfcentering energy dissipative braced frame", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42, 1617-1635. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2290
- Eurocode 8 (2005), Design of structures for earthquake resistance, European Committee for Standardization; Brussels, Belgium.
- GB 50011-2010 (2010), Code for seismic design of buildings, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of China; Beijing, China.
- Hou, X.G. and Tagawa, H. (2009), "Displacement-restraint bracing for seismic retrofit of steel moment frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(5), 1096-1104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.11.008
- Karavasilis, T.L., Blakeborough, T. and Williams, M.S. (2011), "Development of nonlinear analytical model and seismic analyses of a steel frame with self-centering devices and viscoelastic dampers", Comput. Struct., 89(11-12), 1232-1240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2010.08.013
- Kurata, M., Leon, R.T. and Desroches, R. (2012), "Rapid seismic rehabilitation strategy: Concept and testing of cable bracing with couples resisting damper", J. Struct. Eng., 138(3), 354-362. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000401
- Liu, L., Wu, B., Li, W. and Zhao, J.X. (2012), "Cyclic tests of novel self-centering buckling-restrained brace", J. Southeast Univ., 42(3), 536-541. [In Chinese]
- Mousavi, S.A. and Zahrai, S.M. (2016), "Contribution of preslacked cable braces to dynamic stability of non-ductile frames; An analytical study", Eng. Struct., 117, 305-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.03.013
- Mousavi, S.A. and Zahrai, S.M. (2017), "Slack free connections to improve seismic behavior of tension-only braces: An experimental and analytical study", Eng. Struct., 136, 54-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.01.009
- Qiu, C.X. and Zhu, S.Y. (2016), "High-mode effects on seismic performance of multi-story self-centering braced steel frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 119, 133-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.12.008
- Sorace, S. and Terenzi, G. (2012a), "The damped cable system for seismic protection of frame structures - Part I: General concepts, testing and modeling", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(5), 915-928. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1166
- Sorace, S. and Terenzi, G. (2012b), "The damped cable system for seismic protection of frame structures - Part II: Design and application", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(5), 929-947. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1165
- Tang, B.J., Zhang, F.X., Wang, Y. and Wang, F. (2016), "Effect of pre-stressed cable on pre-stressed mega-braced steel frame", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 59(2), 327-341. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.59.2.327
- Tremblay, R., Lacerte, M. and Christopoulos, C. (2008), "Seismic response of multistory buildings with self-centering energy dissipative steel braces", J. Struct. Eng., 134(1), 108-120. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:1(108)
- Wiebe, L. and Christopoulos, C. (2011), "Using Bezier curves to model gradual stiffness transitions in nonlinear elements: application to self-centering systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40(14), 1535-1552. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1099
- Xu, L.H., Fan, X.W. and Li, Z.X. (2016a), "Development and experimental verification of a pre-pressed spring self-centering energy dissipation brace", Eng. Struct., 127, 49-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.08.043
- Xu, L.H., Fan, X.W., Lu, D.C. and Li, Z.X. (2016b), "Hysteretic behavior studies of self-centering energy dissipation bracing system", Steel Comp. Struct., Int. J., 20(6), 1205-1219. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.6.1205
- Zahrai, S.M. and Mousavi, S.A. (2016), "Cable-pulley brace to improve story drift distribution of MRFs with large openings", Steel Comp. Struct., Int. J., 21(4), 863-882. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.4.863
- Zahrai, S.M., Mousavi, S.A. and Saatcioglu, M. (2017), "Analytical study on seismic behavior of proposed hybrid tension-only braced frames", Struct. Design Tall Spec. Build., 26(3), 1-15.
- Zhou, Z., He, X.T., Wu, J., Wang, C.L. and Meng, S.P. (2014), "Development of a novel self-centering buckling-restrained brace with BFRP composite tendons", Steel Comp. Struct., Int. J., 16(5), 491-506. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.16.5.491
- Zhou, Z., Xie, Q., Lei, X.C., He, X.T. and Meng, S.P. (2015), "Experimental investigation of the hysteretic performance of dual-tube self-centering buckling-restrained braces with composite tendons", J. Compos. Constr., 19(6), 04015011. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000565