- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Existing Relationship and IT-based collaboration activities on the Performance of Supply chain: Focused on Absorptive Capacity
공급 사슬 참여 기업간 기존 거래 관계와 IT 기반 협업 활동이 공급 사슬 성과에 미치는 영향: 흡수 역량을 중심으로
- Received : 2018.10.07
- Accepted : 2018.11.21
- Published : 2018.12.31
The purpose of this paper is examine the existing relations structure and IT use for collaboration activities on supply chain and their impacts on the performance of supply chain. This study made a design of the research model that was further constructed by integrating the relationship structure, IT exploration, IT exploitation, supply chain collaboration, absorptive capacity, and knowledge creation, efficiency and efficient. The survey data were collected from 378 companies, where firms are facing increased global competitive pressure and heavily utilize SCM to retain their competitive advantages. The authors validated a measurement model with structural equation modelling and tested eight hypotheses. As a result, the absorptive capacity was closely related to trust, IT exploitation and IT exploration, but supply chain collaboration. Examining the effect of supply chain collaboration with two types of absorptive capacity, the authors found positive effect on potential absorptive capacity, but a non-significant effect on realized absorptive capacity. This finding suggests that the improving performance of supply chain not only is related to the relations structure and IT use on supply chain, but also is closely related to the absorptive capacity.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Adler, P. S., and Kwon, S. 2002. "Social capital: Prospects for a new concept," Academy of Management Review (27), pp. 17-40. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2002.5922314
- Attia, A., and Eldin, I. E. 2018. "Organizational Learning, Knowledge Management Capability and Supply Chain Management Practices in the Saudi Food Industry", Journal of Knowledge Management (22:6), pp. 1217-1242. https://doi.org/10.1108/JKM-09-2017-0409
- Bowersox, D.J., Closs, D.J. and Cooper, M.B. 2002. Supply Chain Logistics Management, McGraw-Hill.
- Boynton, A. C., Zmud, R. W. and Jacobs, G. C. 1994. "The Influence of IT Management Practice on IT Use in Large Organizations," MIS Quarterly (18:3), pp. 299-318. https://doi.org/10.2307/249620
- Brinkhoff, A., Özer, Ö., and Sargut, G. 2015. "All You Need Is Trust? An Examination of Inter‐organizational Supply Chain Projects", Production and Operations Management (24:2), pp. 181-200. https://doi.org/10.1111/poms.12234
- Cao, M. 2011. "Supply Chain Collaboration Impact on Collaborative Advantage and Firm Performance," Journal of Operations Management (29:3), pp. 163-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2010.12.008
- Capaldo, A. and Giannoccaro, I. 2015. "How Does Trust Affect Performance in the Supply Chain? The Moderating Role of Interdependence," International Journal of Production Economics (166), pp. 36-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2015.04.008
- Chae, B., Yen, H.R., and Sheu, C. X. 2005. "Information Technology and Supply Chain Collaboration: Moderating Effects of Existing Relationships between Partners," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management (52:4), pp. 440-448. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2005.856570
- Chang, L., Ouzrout, Y., Nongaillard, A., Bouras, A. and Jiliu, Z. 2014. "Multi-criteria Decision Making Based on Trust and Reputation in Supply Chain", International Journal of Production Economics (147: Part B), pp. 362-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2013.04.014
- Cohen, W.D., and Levinthal, D.A. 1990. "Absorptive Capacity: a New Perspective on Learning and Innovation," Administrative Science Quarterly (35:1), pp. 128-152. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393553
- Constant D, Sproull L.S. and Kiesler S.B. 1996. "The Kindness of Strangers: The Usefulness of Electronic Weak Ties for Technical Advice," Organization Science (7:2), pp. 119-135. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.2.119
- Cooper, V. and Molla, A. 2017. "Information Systems Absorptive Capacity for Environmentally Driven IS-enabled Transformation," Information Systems Journal (27), pp. 379-425. https://doi.org/10.1111/isj.12109
- DeSanctis, G. and Poole, M. S. 1994. "Capturing the Complexity in Advanced Technology Use: Adaptive Structuration Theory," Organization Science (5:2), pp. 121-147. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.5.2.121
- Fawcett, S. E., Wallin, C., Allred, C., Fawcett, A. M., and Magnan, G. M. 2011. "Information Technology as an Enabler of Supply Chain Collaboration: A Dynamic-Capabilities Perspective," Journal of Supply Chain Management (47:1), pp. 38-59. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-493X.2010.03213.x
- Flatten, T.C., Engelen, A., Zahra, S.A., and Brettel, M. 2011. "A Measure of Absorptive Capacity: Scale Development and Validation," European Management Journal (29), pp. 98-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2010.11.002
- Fornell, C. and Larcker, D. F. 1981. "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing Research (18), pp. 39-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- Gebauer, H., Worch, H., and Truffer, B. 2012. "Absorptive Capacity, Learning Processes and Combinative Capabilities As Determinants of Strategic Innovation," European Management Journal (30), pp. 57- 73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2011.10.004
- Grant, R . M. 1996. "Prospering in Dynamically-Competitive Environments: Organizational Capability as Knowledge Integration," Organization Science (7:4), pp. 375-387. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.4.375
- Grover, V., and Saeed, K. A. 2007. "Examining the Impact of Product, Market, and Relationship Characteristics on Interorganizational System Integration in Manufacturer-supplier Dyads," Journal of Management Information Systems (24:4), pp. 185-216. https://doi.org/10.1080/10580530701221072
- Hadaya, P. and Cassivi, L. 2012. "Joint Collaborative Planning as a Governance Mechanism to Strengthen the Chain of IT Value Co-Creation," Journal of Strategic Information Systems (21), pp. 182-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2012.03.001
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R., Tatham, R., and W. C. 1998. Multivariate Data Analysis (5th ed.), UpperSaddleRiver: PrenticeHall.
- Hart, P. J., and Saunders, C. S. 1997. "Power and Trust: Critical Factors in the Adoption and Use of Electronic Data Interchange," Organization Science (8:1), pp. 23-42. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.8.1.23
- He, Z. L. and Wong, P. K. 2004. "Exploration vs. Exploitation: An Empirical Test of the Ambidexterity Hypothesis," Organization Science (15:4), pp. 481-494. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1040.0078
- Ireland, R. D., Hitt, M. A., and Vaidyanath, D. 2002. "Alliance Management as a Source of Competitive Advantage," Journal of Management (28), pp. 413-446.
- Jang, J. S., Lee, J., Kwak, C. Lee, H., 2016. "The Effect of Individual's on Process and Product Innovation," Knowledge Management Research (17:1), pp. 135-154.
- Jansen, J. Van Den Bosch, F., and Volberda, H. W. 2005. "Managing Potential and Realized Absorptive Capacity: How do Organizational Antecedents Matter," Academy of Management Journal (48:6), pp. 999-1015. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2005.19573106
- Kang, S. B. 2012. "The Relationship Between Supply Chain Competences, Capability, and Firm Performance: A Supply Chain Agility," Knowledge Management Research, (13:2), pp. 95-109.
- Katila, R. and Ahuja, G. 2002. "Something Old, Something New: A Longitudinal Study of Search Behavior and New Product Introduction," Academy Management Journal (45:6), pp. 1183-1194. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069433
- Lane, P.J., Koka, B.R., and Pathak, S. 2006. "The Reification of Absorptive Capacity: a Critical Review and Rejuvenation of the Construct," Academy of Management Review (31;4), pp. 833-863. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2006.22527456
- Liebowitz, J. 2001. "Knowledge Management and Its Link to Artificial Intelligence," Expert Systems with Applications (20), pp. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0957-4174(00)00044-0
- Lin , H.-F. 2017. "Antecedents and Consequences of Electronic Supply Chain Management Diffusion: The Moderating Effect of Knowledge Sharing", The International Journal of Logistics Management (28:2), pp. 699-718. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLM-01-2016-0023
- Liu, H. and Ke, W., Wei, K.K. Gu, J. and Chen, H. 2010. "The Role of Institutional Pressures and Organizational Culture in The Firm's Intention to Adopt Internet-enabled Supply Chain Management Systems," Journal of Operations Management (28:5), pp. 372-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2009.11.010
- Liu, H. and Ke, W., Wei, K.K. Gu, J. and Hua, Z. 2013. "The Impact of IT Capabilities on Firm Performance: The Mediating Roles of Absorptive Capacity and Supply Chain Agility," Decision Support Systems (54:3), pp. 1452-1462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2012.12.016
- Lorenzoni, G., and Lipparini, A. 1999. "The Leveraging of Interfirm Relationships As a Distinctive Organizational Capability: A longitudinal Study," Strategic Management Journal (20), pp. 317-338. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199904)20:4<317::AID-SMJ28>3.0.CO;2-3
- Malhotra, A. Gosain, S., and El Sawy, O. 2005. "Absorptive Capacity Configurations in Supply Chains: Gearing for Partner-enabled Market Knowledge Creation," MIS Quarterly (29:1), pp. 145-187. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148671
- March, J.G. 1991. "Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning," Organization Science (2:1), pp. 71-87. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Markus, M. L., Steinfeld, С. W., Wigand, R. T., and Minton, G. 2006. "Industry-Wide Information Systems Standardization as Collective Action: The Case of the U.S. Residential Mortgage Industry," MIS Quarterly (30), pp. 439-465. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148768
- Nwankpa, J. K., and Datta, P. 2017. "Balancing Exploration and Exploitation of IT Resources: The Influence of Digital Business Intensity on Perceived Organizational Performance," European Journal of Information Systems (26:5), pp. 469-488. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41303-017-0049-y
- Obayi, R., Koh, S.C., Oglethorpe, D. and Ebrahimi, S.M. 2017. "Improving Retail supply Flexibility Using Buyer-Supplier Relational Capabilities," International Journal of Operations & Production, Management (37:3), pp. 343-362. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-12-2015-0775
- Pavlou, P.A. and El Sawy, O.A. 2011. "Understanding the Elusive Black Box of Dynamic Capabilities", Decision Sciences (42:1), pp. 239-273. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2010.00287.x
- Pavlou, P.A. and El Sawy, O.A. 2006. "From IT Leveraging Competence to Competitive Advantage in Turbulent Environments: The Case of New Product Development," Information Systems Research (17:3), pp. 198-227. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1060.0094
- Roberts, N., Galluch, P.S., Dinger, M., and Grover, V. 2012."Absorptive Capacity and Information Systems Search: Review, Synthesis, and Directions for Future Research," MIS Quarterly (36:2), pp. 625-626. https://doi.org/10.2307/41703470
- Rowley, T., Behrens, D., and Krackhardt, D. 2000. "Redundant Governance Structures: An Analysis of Structural and Relational Embeddedness in The Steel and Semiconductor Industries," Strategic Management Journal (21), pp. 369-386. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<369::AID-SMJ93>3.0.CO;2-M
- Simatupang, T. M. and Sridharan, R. 2004. "A Benchmarking Scheme for Supply Chain Collaboration," Benchmarking: An International Journal (11:1), pp. 9-30. https://doi.org/10.1108/14635770410520285
- Simatupang, T. M., and Sridharan, R. 2006. "The Collaborative Supply Chain," International Journal of Logistics Management (13:1), pp. 15-30. https://doi.org/10.1108/09574090210806333
- Todorova, G., and Durisin, B. 2007. "Absorptive Capacity: Valuing a Reconceptualization," Academy of Management Review (32:3), pp. 774-786. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2007.25275513
- Tokman, M. 2007. "Exploration, Exploitation and Satisfaction in Supply Chain Portfolio Strategy," Journal of Business Logistics (28:1), pp. 25-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2158-1592.2007.tb00231.x
- Tsai, W. 2001. "Knowledge Transfer in Intraorganizational Networks: Effects of Network Position and Absorptive Capacity on Business Unit Innovation and Performance," Academy Management Journal (44:5), pp. 996-1004. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069443
- Tseng, S. and Lee, P. 2014. "The Effect of Knowledge Management Capability and Dynamic Capability on Organizational Performance", Journal of Enterprise Information Management (27:2), pp. 158-179. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-05-2012-0025
- Vanpoucke, E., Vereecke, A., and Muylle, S. 2017. "Leveraging the Impact of Supply Chain Integration through Information Technology," International Journal of Operations & Production Management (37:4), pp. 510-530. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-07-2015-0441
- Volberda, H. W. 1998. Building The Flexible Firm: How to Remain Competitive, Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Volberda, H.W., Foss N.J., and Lyles, M. A. 2010. "Absorbing the Concept of Absorptive Capacity: How to Realize Its Potential in the Organization Field," Organization Science (21:4), pp. 931-951. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1090.0503
- Weill, P. and Vitale, M. 2002. "What IT Infrastructure Capabilities are Needed to Implement e-Business Models," MIS Quarterly Executive (1), pp. 17-34.
- Wu, I.L., Chuang, C.H. and Hsu, C.H. 2014. "Information Sharing and Collaborative Behaviors in Enabling Supply Chain Performance: A Social Exchange Perspective," International Journal of Production Economics (148), pp. 122-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2013.09.016
- Wu, S., Xu, L. and He, W. 2009. "Industry-oriented enterprise resource planning," Enterprise Information Systems (3:4), pp. 409-424. https://doi.org/10.1080/17517570903100511
- Zaheer, A. and Bell, G. G. 2005. "Benefiting from Network Position: Firm Capabilities, Structural Holes, and Performance," Strategic Management Journal (26), pp. 809-825. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.482