- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influences of intra- and inter-team networks on knowledge brokerage behavior
팀 내·외부 관계망이 지식 중개자 활동에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2018.08.01
- Accepted : 2018.10.19
- Published : 2018.12.31
Knowledge transfer among employees integrates individual knowledge scattered within a firm, thus increases organizational effectiveness. In particular, the role of knowledge broker, which enables knowledge sharing across multiple teams or subunits, is critical for the success of knowledge management. This study classified the types of knowledge broker that facilitates knowledge flows among team, and examined the influences of various intra- and inter-team social networks. Survey responses from 128 employees of four R&D teams were gathered and analyzed using partial least square structural equation modeling. The results of analysis showed that all types of inter-team networks(i.e., emotional closeness network, frequency of interaction network, and perceived expertise network) had significant influences on related knowledge brokerage behaviors. In case of intra-team networks, only the emotional closeness network showed significant influence. These results proved the necessity of managing various types of intra- and inter-team networks to encourage knowledge brokerage behaviors within a firm.
Supported by : 아주대학교
- 강민형, 허용석 2012. "지식이전 선행요인에 관한 다차원 분석: 사회적 자본 이론과 사회연결망 이론의 결합," Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems (22:3), pp. 75-97.
- 김병수, 한인구 2012. "R&D 조직의 지식 경영 활동이 R&D 성과에 미치는 영향," 지식경영연구 (13:1), pp. 25-39.
- 이인석, 최선규, 지성구 2010. "멘토링 기능이 신입판매원의 지식채택 동기, 지식이전 성공에 미치는 영향," 지식경영연구 (11:3), pp. 13-29.
- 이재윤, 문주영, 김희정 2007. "텍스트 마이닝을 이용한 국내 기록관리학 분야 지적구조 분석," 한국문헌정보학회지 (41:1), pp. 345-372. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2007.41.1.345
- 이희석, 김정군, 최병구, 조진현 2002. "조직 구성원 신뢰의 지식공유에 대한 영향 분석," 지식경영연구 (3:1), pp. 19-39.
- Aalbers, H. L. and Dolfsma, W. 2015. "Bridging Firm-Internal Boundaries for Innovation: Directed Communication Orientation and Brokering Roles," Journal of Engineering and Technology Management (36), pp. 97-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2015.05.005
- Adler, P. S. and Kwon, S.-W. 2002. "Social Capital: Prospects for a New Concept," Academy of Management Review (27:1), pp. 17-40. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2002.5922314
- Alavi, M. and Leidner, D. 2001. "Review: Knowledge Management and Knowledge Management Systems: Conceptual Foundations and Research Issues," MIS Quarterly (25:1), pp. 107-136. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250961
- Argote, L., Mcevily, B. and Reagans, R. 2003. "Managing Knowledge in Organizations: An Integrative Framework and Review of Emerging Themes," Management Science (49:4), pp. 571-582. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.4.571.14424
- Blumberg, M. and Pringle, C. D. 1982. "The Missing Opportunity in Organizational Research: Some Implications for a Theory of Work Performance," Academy of Management Review, pp. 560-569.
- Bock, G.-W., Zmud, R. W., Kim, Y.-G. and Lee, J.-N. 2005. "Behavioral Intention Formation in Knowledge Sharing: Examining the Roles of Extrinsic Motivators, Social-Psychological Forces, and Organizational Climate," MIS Quarterly (29:1), pp. 87-111. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148669
- Borgatti, S. P. and Cross, R. 2003. "A Relational View of Information Seeking and Learning in Social Networks," Management Science (49:4), pp. 432-445. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.4.432.14428
- Burt, R. 1992. Structural Holes: The Social Structure of Competition, Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press.
- Chou, H.-W., Lin, Y.-H., Lu, H.-S., Chang, H.-H. and Chou, S.-B. 2014. "Knowledge Sharing and Erp System Usage in Post-Implementation Stage," Computers in Human Behavior (33), pp. 16-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.12.023
- Chow, W. S. and Chan, L. S. 2008. "Social Network, Social Trust and Shared Goals in Organizational Knowledge Sharing," Information & Management (45:7), pp. 458-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2008.06.007
- Coleman, J. S. 1988. "Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital," American Journal of Sociology (94:Supplement: Organizations and institutions: Sociological and economic approaches to the analysis of social structure), pp. S95-S120. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Gould, R. V. and Fernandez, R. M. 1989. "Structures of Mediation: A Formal Approach to Brokerage in Transaction Networks," Sociological methodology, pp. 89-126.
- Granovetter, M. S. 1973. "The Strength of Weak Ties," American Journal of Sociology (78:6), pp. 1360-1380. https://doi.org/10.1086/225469
- Hair Jr., J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. and Sarstedt, M. 2016. A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PlsSem), Thousand Oaks, CA, Sage Publications, Inc.
- Ibarra, H. and Andrews, S. B. 1993. "Power, Social Influence, and Sense Making: Effects of Network Centrality and Proximity on Employee Perceptions," Administrative science quarterly, pp. 277-303.
- Jeon, S., Kim, Y.-G. and Koh, J. 2011. "An Integrative Model for Knowledge Sharing in Communities-of-Practice," Journal of Knowledge Management (15:2), pp. 251-269. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673271111119682
- Kang, M. and Kim, B. 2017. "Motivation, Opportunity, and Ability in Knowledge Transfer: A Social Network Approach," Knowledge Management Research & Practice (15:2), pp. 214-224. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41275-016-0045-3
- Kang, M., Kim, Y.-G. and Bock, G.-W. 2010. "Identifying Different Antecedents for Closed Vs Open Knowledge Transfer," Journal of Information Science (36:5), pp. 585-602. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551510375667
- Kankanhalli, A., Tan, B. C. Y. and Wei, K.-K. 2005. "Contributing Knowledge to Electronic Knowledge Repositories: An Empirical Investigation," MIS Quarterly (29:1), pp. 113-143. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148670
- Lawler Iii, E. E. 1973. Motivation in Work Organizations, Monterey, CA, Brooks/Cole.
- Lawshe, C. 1945. "Eight Ways to Check the Value of a Training Program," Factory Management and Maintenance (103:5), pp. 117-120.
- Lesser, E. L. 2000. Knowledge and Social Capital: Foundations and Applications , Woburn, MA, Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Levin, D. Z., Walter, J., Appleyard, M. M. and Cross, R. 2015. "Relational Enhancement How the Relational Dimension of Social Capital Unlocks the Value of Network-Bridging Ties," Group & Organization Management:Forthcoming.
- Long, J. C., Cunningham, F. C. and Braithwaite, J. 2013. "Bridges, Brokers and Boundary Spanners in Collaborative Networks: A Systematic Review," BMC health services research (13:1), pp. 158. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-13-158
- Lou, J., Fang, Y., Lim, K. H. and Peng, Z. J. 2013. Knowledge Contribution in Online Question and Answering Communities: Effects of Groups Membership, International Conference on Informataion Systems. Orlando, FL. Vol.
- Lowik, S., Van Rossum, D., Kraaijenbrink, J. and Groen, A. 2012. "Strong Ties as Sources of New Knowledge: How Small Firms Innovate through Bridging Capabilities," Journal of Small Business Management (50:2), pp. 239-256. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-627X.2012.00352.x
- Macinnis, D. J., Moorman, C. and Jaworski, B. J. 1991. "Enhancing and Measuring Consumers' Motivation, Opportunity, and Ability to Process Brand Information from Ads," The Journal of Marketing, pp. 32-53.
- Nonaka, I. and Takeuchi, H. 1995. The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation, Oxford university press.
- O'dell, C. and Grayson, C. J. 1998. "If Only We Knew What We Know: Identification and Transfer of Internal Best Practices," California Management Review (40:3), pp. 154-174. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165948
- Osterloh, M. and Frey, B. S. 2000. "Motivation, Knowledge Transfer, and Organizational Forms," Organization Science (11:5), pp. 538-550. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.11.5.538.15204
- Phelps, C., Heidl, R. and Wadhwa, A. 2012. "Knowledge, Networks, and Knowledge Networks: A Review and Research Agenda," Journal of management (38:4), pp. 1115-1166. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206311432640
- Polanyi, M. and Sen, A. 1983. The Tacit Dimension, Peter Smith Gloucester, MA.
- Reagans, R. and Mcevily, B. 2003. "Network Structure and Knowledge Transfer: The Effects of Cohesion and Range," Administrative Science Quarterly (48:2), pp. 240-267. https://doi.org/10.2307/3556658
- Ringle, C. M., Wende, S. and Becker, J.-M. 2015. Smartpls 3. Boenningstedt, SmartPLS GmbH. Vol.
- Siemsen, E., Roth, A. V. and Balasubramanian, S. 2008. "How Motivation, Opportunity, and Ability Drive Knowledge Sharing: The Constraining-Factor Model," Journal of Operations Management (26:3), pp. 426-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.09.001
- Swap, W., Leonard, D., Shields, M. and Abrams, L. 2001. "Using Mentoring and Storytelling to Transfer Knowledge in the Workplace," Journal of management information systems (18:1), pp. 95-114. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2001.11045668
- Tushman, M. L. and Scanlan, T. J. 1981. "Boundary Spanning Individuals: Their Role in Information Transfer and Their Antecedents," Academy of management journal (24:2), pp. 289-305. https://doi.org/10.2307/255842
- Uzzi, B. 1997. "Social Structure and Competition in Interfirm Networks: The Paradox of Embeddedness," Administrative Science Quarterly (42:1), pp. 35-67. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393808
- Wasko, M. M. and Faraj, S. 2005. "Why Should I Share? Examining Social Capital and Knowledge Contribution in Electronic Networks of Practice," MIS Quarterly (29:1), pp. 35-57. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148667
- Wasserman, S. and Faust, K. 1994. Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications, New York, NY, Cambridge University Press.
- Wenger, E. C. and Snyder, W. M. 2000. "Communities of Practice: The Organizational Frontier," Harvard Business Review (78:1), pp. 139-145.
- Wu, W.-Y., Chen, S.-H. and Lu, H.-Y. 2011. The Role of Moa Framework on Knowledge Sharing and Tourist Behavioral Intention, Southwest Decision Sciences Institute Conference, Houston, TX.
- Wu, Y., Balasubramanian, S. and Mahajan, V. 2004. "When Is a Preannounced New Product Likely to Be Delayed?," Journal of Marketing, pp. 101-113.