- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Which is More Important in Useful Online Review? Heuristic-Systematic Model Perspective
유용한 온라인 리뷰에서 어느 것이 더 중요한가? 휴리스틱-체계적 모델 관점
- Received : 2018.07.12
- Accepted : 2018.08.31
- Published : 2018.12.31
Hotel consumers tend to rely on online reviews to reduce the risk to hotel products when they book hotel rooms because hotel products are high-risk products due to their intangibility. However, the development of ICT has caused information load, and it is an important issue to be perceived as useful information to consumer because a large amount of information complicates the decision making process of consumers. Drawn from Heuristic-Systematic Model(HSM), the present study explored the role of heuristic and systematic cues composing an online review influencing consumers' perception of hotel online reviews. More specifically, this study identified reviewers' identity, level of the reviewer, review star ratings, and attached hotel photo as heuristic cue, while review length, cognitive level of review and negativity in review as systematic cues. The binary logistic regression was adopted for analysis. This study found that only systematic cues of online review were found to affect the usefulness of it. Moreover, we preceded further study examining the moderating effect of seasonality in the relationships between systematic cues and usefulness.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- 구철모, 유문정, 전유희, 이지민, 정남호 2016. "관광경험에서의 스마트폰 활용 행태와 사용자 임파워먼트와의 관계에 관한 연구: 중국인을 대상으로," 지식경영연구 (17:1), pp. 155-174.
- 정남호, 엄태휘, 구철모 2016. "인스타그램에서 사회적 관계 형성을 위한 사진 공유에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구," 지식경영연구 (17:4), pp. 129-145. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2016.17.4.006
- Adam, I., and Adongo, C. A. 2016. "Do backpackers suffer crime? Empirical investigation of crime perpetrated against backpackers in Ghana," Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management (27), pp. 60-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2016.03.003
- Ady, M., and Quadri-Felitti, D. 2015. "Consumer research identifies how to present travel review content for more bookings ," Retrieved May 2016, from: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5HvAssYaJSoJ:oldhotelier.tistory.com/attachment/cfile26.uf%402368C83456F93C3E083578.pdf+&cd=4&hl=ko&ct=clnk&gl=kr
- Baek, H., Ahn, J., and Choi, Y. 2012. "Helpfulness of online consumer reviews: Readers' objectives and review cues," International Journal of Electronic Commerce (17:2), pp. 99-126. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415170204
- Byun, J., and Jang, S. S. 2015. "Effective destination advertising: Matching effect between advertising language and destination type," Tourism Management (50), pp. 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2015.01.005
- Chaiken, S. 1980. "Heuristic versus systematic information processing and the use of source versus message cues in persuasion," Journal of personality and social psychology (39:5), pp. 752-766. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1242
- Chaiken, S., and Ledgerwood, A. 2011. "A theory of heuristic and systematic information processing," in Handbook of theories of social psychology (1), pp. 246-266.
- Chevalier, J. A., and Mayzlin, D. 2006. "The effect of word of mouth on sales: Online book reviews," Journal of marketing research (43:3), pp. 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.3.345
- Djekic, P., and Loebbecke, C. 2007. "Preventing application software piracy: An empirical investigation of technical copy protections," The Journal of Strategic Information Systems (16:2), pp. 173-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2007.05.005
- Ert, E., Fleischer, A., and Magen, N. 2016. "Trust and reputation in the sharing economy: The role of personal photos in Airbnb," Tourism Management (55), pp. 62-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2016.01.013
- Fabrigar, L. R., and Petty, R. E. 1999. "The role of the affective and cognitive bases of attitudes in susceptibility to affectively and cognitively based persuasion," Personality and social psychology bulletin (25:3), pp. 363-381. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167299025003008
- Filieri, R., Alguezaui, S., and McLeay, F. 2015. "Why do travelers trust TripAdvisor? Antecedents of trust towards consumergenerated media and its influence on recommendation adoption and word of mouth," Tourism Management (51), pp. 174-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2015.05.007
- Gilly, M. C., Graham, J. L., Wolfinbarger, M. F., and Yale, L. J. 1998. "A dyadic study of interpersonal information search," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (26:2), pp. 83-100. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070398262001
- Hedrick-Wong, Y., and Choong, D. 2015. "MasterCard 2015 Global Destination Cities Index," Retrieved May 2016 from:https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MasterCard-GDCI-2015-Final-Report1.pdf
- International Visitor Survey 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.tour.go.kr
- Jacoby, J., Jaccard, J. J., Currim, I., Kuss, A., Ansari, A., and Troutman, T. 1994. "Tracing the impact of item-by-item information accessing on uncertainty reduction," Journal of Consumer Research (21:2), pp. 291-303. https://doi.org/10.1086/209398
- Jin, Y. Yang, S. B., and Lee, K. Y. 2013. "Are information-rich reviews really helpful? An empirical study of online product reviews on Amazon.com," in Post-ICIS, LG CNS/KrAIS Workshop, Milan, Italy.
- Kanouse, D. E. 1984. "Explaining negativity biases in evaluation and choice behavior: Theory and research," ACR North American Advanced, pp. 703-708.
- Kassinis, G. I. and Soteriou, A. C. 2015. "Environmental and quality practices: using a video method to explore their relationship with customer satisfaction in the hotel industry," Operations Management Research (8:3-4), pp. 142-156. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12063-015-0105-5
- Kuan, K. K., Hui, K. L., Prasarnphanich, P., and Lai, H. Y. 2015. "What makes a review voted? An empirical investigation of review voting in online review systems," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (16:1), pp. 48-71. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00386
- Kusumasondjaja, S., Shanka, T., and Marchegiani, C. 2012. "Credibility of online reviews and initial trust: The roles of reviewer' s identity and review valence," Journal of Vacation Marketing (18:3), pp. 185-195. https://doi.org/10.1177/1356766712449365
- Lee, H. A., Law, R., and Murphy, J. 2011. "Helpful reviewers in TripAdvisor, an online travel community," Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing (28:7), pp. 675-688. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2011.611739
- Lin, P. J., Jones, E., and Westwood, S. 2009. "Perceived risk and risk-relievers in online travel purchase intentions," Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management (18:8), pp. 782-810. https://doi.org/10.1080/19368620903235803
- Liu, Z., and Park, S. 2015. "What makes a useful online review? Implication for travel product websites," Tourism Management (47), pp. 140-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2014.09.020
- Martin, B., and Marshall, R. 1999. "The interaction of message framing and felt involvement in the context of cell phone commercials," European Journal of Marketing (33:1/2), pp. 206-218. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569910249247
- Mudambi, S. M., and Schuff, D. 2010. "What makes a helpful review? A study of customer reviews on Amazon. Com," MIS quarterly (34:1), pp. 185-200. https://doi.org/10.2307/20721420
- Nagelkerke, D., 1991. "A Note on a general definition of the coefficient of determination," Biometrika (78:3), pp. 691-693. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/78.3.691
- NEWSPIM, 2012. Retrieved from: http://www.newspim.com/news/view/20120208000409.
- O'brien, R. M. 2007. "A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inflation factors," Quality & Quantity (41:5), pp. 673-690. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-006-9018-6
- Pera, R., Viglia, G., and Furlan, R. 2016. "Who Am I? How Compelling Self-storytelling Builds Digital Personal Reputation," Journal of Interactive Marketing (35), pp. 44-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intmar.2015.11.002
- Pennebaker, J. W., Booth, R. J., and Francis, M. E. 2007. "Linguistic inquiry and word count: LIWC [Computer software],"Austin, TX: liwc.net.
- Racherla, P., and Friske, W. 2012. "Perceived 'usefulness' of online consumer reviews: An exploratory investigation across three services categories," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications (11:6), pp. 548-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2012.06.003
- Schuckert, M., Liu, X., and Law, R. 2015. "Hospitality and tourism online reviews: Recent trends and future directions," Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing (32:5), pp. 608-621. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2014.933154
- Seoul Statistics. 2016. Retrieved from: http://stat.seoul.go.kr/jsp3/index.jsp
- Sirakaya, E., and Woodside, A. G. 2005. "Building and testing theories of decision making by travelers," Tourism management (26:6), pp. 815-832. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2004.05.004
- Sundar, S. S., and Kalyanaraman, S. 2004. "Arousal, memory, and impression-formation effects of animation speed in web advertising," Journal of Advertising (33:1), pp. 7-17.
- Sussman, S. W., and Siegal, W. S. 2003. "Informational influence in organizations: An integrated approach to knowledge adoption," Information systems research (14:1), pp. 47-65. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.126.96.36.19967
- Tabachnick, B. G., and Fidell, L. S. 2007. Using multivariate statistics (6th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Tajfel, H., and Turner, J. C. 1979. "An integrative theory of intergroup conflict," The social psychology of intergroup relations (33:47), pp. 33-74.
- Tidwell, L. C., and Walther, J. B. 2002. "Computer‐mediated communication effects on disclosure, impressions, and interpersonal evaluations: Getting to know one another a bit at a time," Human communication research (28:3), pp. 317-348. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.2002.tb00811.x
- TripAdvisor, 2016. Retrieved from: https://www.tripadvisor.co.kr/
- Vermeulen, I. E., and Seegers, D. 2009. "Tried and tested: The impact of online hotel reviews on consumer consideration," Tourism management (30:1), pp. 123-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.04.008
- Wei, W., Miao, L., and Huang, Z. J. 2013. "Customer engagement behaviors and hotel responses," International Journal of Hospitality Management (33), pp. 316-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2012.10.002
- Weiss, A. M., Lurie, N. H., and MacInnis, D. J. 2008. "Listening to strangers: whose responses are valuable, how valuable are they, and why?," Journal of Marketing Research (45:4), pp. 425-436. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.45.4.425
- Willemsen, L. M., Neijens, P. C., Bronner, F., and De Ridder, J. A. 2011. ""Highly Recommended!" The content characteristics and perceived usefulness of online consumer reviews," Journal of Computer‐Mediated Communication (17:1), pp. 19-38.
- Zeithaml, V. A. 1988. "Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: a means-end model and synthesis of evidence" The Journal of marketing (52:3), pp. 2-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298805200302
- Zhang, K. Z., Lee, M. K., and Zhao, S. J. 2010. "Understanding the Informational Social Influence of Online Review Platforms," In ICIS 2010 Proceedings (71), pp. 1-17.
- Zhang, L., Wu, L. L., and Mattila, A. S. 2016. "Online Reviews The Role of Information Load and Peripheral Factors," Journal of Travel Research (55:3), pp. 299-310. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287514559032
- Zhang, W., and Watts, S. A. 2008. "Capitalizing on content: Information adoption in two online communities," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (9:2), pp. 73-94. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00149
- Zhang, K. Z., Zhao, S. J., Cheung, C. M., and Lee, M. K. 2014. "Examining the influence of online reviews on consumers' decisionmaking: A heuristic-systematic model," Decision Support Systems (67), pp. 78-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2014.08.005