- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Trunk Stability Exercise on Knee function, Balance, Gait in patients after Total Knee Arthroplasty
체간 안정화 운동이 무릎관절 전치환술 환자의 무릎기능, 균형, 보행에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Jae-Hong (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Daegu health college) ;
- Min, Dong-Ki (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Daegu health college) ;
- Lee, Sang-Jae (Daegu The open hospital)
- Received : 2017.11.08
- Accepted : 2018.02.02
- Published : 2018.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of trunk stability exercise on knee function, balance and gait in patients who underwent total knee arthroplasty. The subjects of this study were recruited from individuals diagnosed with degenerative arthritis who had undergone total knee arthroplasty. Overall, 24 patients were randomly divided into a control groups and an experimental groups (12 each). The trunk stability exercise was conducted for 4 weeks with three exercises developed in a previous study. The measurement tools used were knee function measurements based on the Lysholm knee score, balance ability measured using a test of TUG and OLS, and a walking ability test measured using a 10MWT. Pre and post test results were within groups were compared using the paired t-test, whole differences between groups were compared using the independent t-test. The experimental group showed significantly enhanced results relative to the control group (p<0.05). Based on these results, trunk stability exercise in parallel with knee joint therapy effectively improves the recovery of patients with total knee arthroplasty.
- Badley E. E., Wang P. P., "Arthritis and the aging population: Projection of arthritis prevalence in Canada 1991 to 2031", The Journal of rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 138-144, 1998.
- Brooks P. M., "Impact of osteoarthritis on individual and society: how much disability? Social consequences and health economic implication", CURRENT OPINION IN RHEUMATOLOGY, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 573-577, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00002281-200209000-00017 https://doi.org/10.1097/00002281-200209000-00017
- Creamer P, Lethbridge-Cejku M, Hochberg M. C, "Factors associated with functional impairment in symptomatic knee osteoarthritis", Rheumatology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 490-496, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/39.5.490 https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/39.5.490
- H. J. Cho, C. B. Chang, J. W. Jung, S. C. Seong, T. K. Kim, "Prevalence of radiographic knee osteoarthritis in elderly kreans", Korean Knee Society, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 223-231, 2009.
- Kramer J. F, Speechley M, Bourne R, Rorabeck C, Vaz M, "Comparison of clinic and home-based rehabilitation programs after total knee arthroplasty", Clinical orthopaedics and related research, vol. -no. 410, pp. 225-234, 2003.
- K. O. Hwang, "The effects of isometric exercise and active stretching on joint function in patient with osteoarthritis", Daegu University Dissertation of Master Degree, 2005
- Brill P. W, Couzen G. S, "The core program", 1-231, Bantam Book, 2002.
- Akuthota V, Nadler S. F, "Core strengthening", Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, vol. 85, pp. 86-92, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1053/j.apmr.2003.12.005
- Marshall P. W, Murphy B. A, "Core stability exercises on and off a swiss ball", Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 242-249, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1053/j.apmr.2003.12.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.05.004
- O'Sullivan P. B, Twomey L. T, Allison G. T, "Evaluation of specific stabilizing exercise in the treatment of chronin low back pain with radiologic diagnosis of spondylolysis or spondylolisthesis", Spine, vol. 22, no. 24, pp. 2959-2967, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199712150-00020 https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199712150-00020
- M. S. Jung, H. S. Kwak, "The effects of a muscle strengthening exercise program on pain, straight leg raising ability, passive range of motion, independent walking time and satisfaction with total knee arthroplasty(TKA)", The journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 20-29, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.1.020 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.1.020
- H. S. Min, "Effects of muscle strengthening exercise program on pain, fatigue, physical function in elderly women with total knee arthroplasty", Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 203-214, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.203 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.203
- Maniar R. N, Baviskar J. V, Singhi T, Rathi S. S, "To use or not to use continuous passive motion post-total knee arthroplasty", The Journal of arthroplasty, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 193-200, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2011.04.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2011.04.009
- Synder M, Kozlwski P, Drobniewski M, Grzegorzewski A, Glowacka A, "The use of continuous passive motion(CPM) in the rehabilitation of patients after total knee arthroplasty", Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 336-41, 2004
- Sara R, Piva, Alexandra B, Gil, Gustabo J, Almeida M, Antony M, DGgioia III, Iimothy J, Levison G, Kelley Fitzgerald, "A balance exercise program appears to improve function for patiens with total knee arthroplasty : a randomized clinical trial", Journal of the american physical therapy association, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 880-894, 2010.
- J. Y. Youn, "Effect of thera band exercise program following total knee replacement", Dankook University Dissertation of Master Degree, 2013.
- Liebenson, C. Spinal stabilization training: the transverse abdominis. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 218-223. 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-8592(98)80018-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-8592(98)80018-1
- Liebenson, C. Functional abdominal training. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 101-103. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-8592(02)00112-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-8592(02)00112-2
- C. B. Jeon, "Effects of Trunk Stabilization Exercise on the Thickness of the Deep Abdominal Muscles and Balance in Hemiplegic Patients", Daegu University Dissertation of Master Degree, 2012.
- C. Y. Kim, "The Effects of Trunk Stability Exercise on Trunk Strengthening, Dynamic Balance and Walking in the Persons with Chronic Stroke", Sahmyook University Dissertation of Master Degree, 2008.
- Lysholm, J., & J. Gillquist. Evaluation of knee ligament surgery results with special emphasis on use of a scoring scale, Am J Sports Med, 10, pp. 150-154. 1982. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658201000306 https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658201000306
- Posiadlo D, Richardson S. The Timed "Up & Go": a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons, J Am Geriatr Soc, 39: pp. 142-148, 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1991.tb01616.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1991.tb01616.x
- Man-Roung Lin, Hei-Fen Hwang, et al., Psychometric Comparisons of the Timed Up and Go, One-Leg Stand, Functional Reach, and Tinetti Balance Measures in Community-Dwelling Older People. 2004.
- Wirz M, Van Hedel HJ, et al., Muscle force and gait performance : relationships after spinalcord injury. 2006.
- Urquhart D. M, Hodges P. W., Allen T. J., Story I. H.., "Abdominal muscle recruitment during a range of voluntary exercises", Man Ther, 10, 2, pp. pp. 144-153, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2004.08.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2004.08.011
- Stevens V. K, Coorevits P. L., Bouche K. G., Mahieu N. N., Vanderstraeten G. G., Danneels L. A., "The influence of specific training on trunk muscle recruitment patterns in healthy subjects during stabilization exercises", Man Ther, 12, 3, pp. pp. 271-279, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.07.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.07.009
- O'sullivan P. B, "Lumbar segmental 'instability': clinical presentation and specific stabilizing exercise management", Man Ther, 5, 1, pp. 2-12, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.07.009 https://doi.org/10.1054/math.1999.0213
- Ryerson S, Byl N. N., Brown D. A., Wong R. A., Hidler J. M., "Altered trunk position sense and its relation to balance functions in people post-stroke", Journal Neurol Phys Ther, 32, 1, pp. pp. 14-20, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0b013e3181660f0c https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0b013e3181660f0c
- M. Piirtola and P. Era, "Force platform measurement as predictors of falls among older people-a review", Gerontology, vol. 52, pp. 1-16, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000089820 https://doi.org/10.1159/000089820
- B. J. Park, "Effects of Core Stability Combined Rehabilitation on Muscle Strenght, Stability of Knee Joint after ACL Reconstruction", Korea University Dissertation of Master Degree, 2011.
- I. Y. Oh, "The Effects of 12wk Accelerated Rehabilitation Exercise on Knee Strengthening, Balance, Thigh Circumference and Lysholm Score After ACL Reconstruction", Kookmin University Dissertation of Master Degree, 2011.
- Hodges P. W, Richardson, C. A. "Contraction of the abdominal muscle associated with movement of the lower limb", Physical Therapy, 77, pp. pp. 132-142, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.2.132 https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.2.132
- Akuthota, V., Nadler, S. F. "Core strengthening", Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 85, no. 3, 92, 586, 2004.
- Dennis, D.A., Evaluation of painful total knee arthroplasty, J Arthroplasty, 19(4 Suppl 1): p. pp. 35-40, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2004.03.003
- Y. H. Kim, "The Effects of Trunk Stability Exercise on the Balance and Gait in the Patients with Stroke", Daegu University Dissertation of Master Degree, 2010.
- Kane K, Bell A, "A core stability group program for children with developmental coordination disorder: 3 clinical case reports", Pediatric Phys Ther, 21, 4, pp. pp. 375-382, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/PEP.0b013e3181beff38 https://doi.org/10.1097/PEP.0b013e3181beff38