- Volume 19 Issue 2
This study analyzed the effects of the nutrient intake on oral health and chewing difficulty according to the age group. The subjects were 5,855 participants of the third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES VI), 2015, Korea Centers for Disease Control and prevention and aged 20 years and over. The data were analyzed using SPSS Ver 21.0, classified as the difficulty in chewing group (DC) and no difficulty in chewing group (NDC). As a result, the DC rates were 5 times higher in the 60+ year age group (39.5%) than in the 20-39 year age group (8.1%). The DC group were experience periodontal disease (33.4%), dental caries (30.1%), diabetes (41.8%), myocardial infarction (57.3%), arthritis (44.0%), asthma (48.0%), and depression (41.9%). In addition, 86% of the DC group were experiencing speech problems. The DC group had significantly lower intakes (1446.59g), than the NDC group (1666.62g), and the protein, carbohydrate, dietary fiber and other dietary intake were significantly lower. These findings suggest that the chewing difficulty is related to the nutrient intake, and psychological status in the elderly DC group. Therefore, the care of chewing difficulties is essential for the elderly to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Accordingly, oral care and myofunctional therapy are needed to maintain oral health.
Chewing difficulty;National Health;Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES);Nnutrient intake;Oral health
- Peyron M.A, Mishellany A, Woda A, "Particle size distribution in the food bolus after mastication of six natural foods", J Dent Res, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 803-12, 2004.
- Lucas P.W, Prinz, J.F, Agrawal, K.R, Bruce I.C, "Food texture and its effect on ingestion, mastication and swallowing" Journal of Texture Studies, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 159-70, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.2004.tb00831.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.2004.tb00831.x
- Bates, J, Stafford, G, Harrison A. Masticatory function-a review of the literature". Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 57-67. 1978. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1976.tb00929.x
- Koshino, H, Hirai, T, Ishijima T, Ikeda Y. "Tongue motor skills and masticatory performance in adult dentates, elderly dentates, and complete denture wearers", The journal of prosthetic dentistry, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 147-52, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(97)70228-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(97)70228-2
- Ranta K, Tuominen R, Paunio I., Seppanen, R. "Dental status and intake of food items among an adult Finnish population", Gerodontics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 32-5, 1988.
- Lee H.K, "How does the State of Dentition has Effect on Chewing Ability and Nutritional Intake Status in the rural Elderly?" The journal of the korean dental association, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 601-7, 1999.
- Han D.H, "chewing difficulty and multiple chronic conditions in korean elders", The journal of the korean dental association vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 511-7, 2013.
- Park J.E., An H.J., Jung S.U., Lee Y.N., Kim C., Jang Y.A, "Characteristics of the dietary intake of Korean elderly by chewing ability using data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2010", Journal of Nutrition and Health, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 285-29, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.285 https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.285
- Kim H.Y, Lee J.S, Yun J.C, Jang M,J, "Food and nutrient intake status of Korean elderly by degree of cognitive function", Journal of Nutrition and Health vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 313-22, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2016.49.5.313 https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2016.49.5.313
- Lee S.J, Kim Y.R, Seo S.H, Cho M.S, "A study on dietary habits and food intakes in adults aged 50 or older according to depression status", Journal of Nutrition and Health, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 67-76, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2014.47.1.67 https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2014.47.1.67
- Korean centers for disease control and prevention 2015, The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES VI-2) Key Findings, 2015.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Korea Health Statistics, pp. 66, 2013.
- Lee E,J, Suh S.R, "Structural Equation Modeling of Health-related Quality of Life in Periodontal Disease Patients for the Middle-aged Koreans", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 105-16, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.1.105 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.1.105
- Yang S.B, Moon H.S, "Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients", J Korean Acad Prosthodont vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 455-69, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455 https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455
- Ministry of health and welfare, Korea centers for disease control and preventive, Korea health statistics 2014: Korea national health and nutritional examination survey(KNHANES VI-2), Sejong: Ministry of Health and welfare, pp. 214-20, 2014.
- Meyerowitz C. "Geriatric dentistry and prevention: researchand public policy", Advances in Dental Research vol. 5, no. 74, 1991.
- Mulligan R, Navazesh M. Relationship between oral conditions and systemic disease in the elderly. J Dent Res vol. 71, no. 31, 1992.
- Kim D.H, Hwang S.J, "Influence of the Food Intake Ability and the Number of Remaining Teeth on Oral Health Related Quality of Life in Some Elderly People", J Dent Hyg Sci vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 53-61, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.53 https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.53
- Shin B.M, Bae S.M, Ryu D.Y, Choi Y.K, "The relationship between the numbers of natural teeth and nutritional status of elderly in Korea-based on 2007-2009 national health and nutrition survey data", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg vol. 12, pp. 521-231, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.521 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.521
- Scott R. Youmans, Gina L. Youmans, Julie A. G., "Stierwalt Differences in Tongue Strength Across Age and Gender", Dysphagia, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 57-65, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-008-9171-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-008-9171-2
- Yang Sb, Moon H.S, Han D.H, Lee H.Y, Chung M.K, "Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients" The journal of korean academy of prosthodontics, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 455-69, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455
Supported by : 한국연구재단