- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Patterns and Trends of Water Level and Water Quality at the Namgang Junction in the Nakdong River Based on Hourly Measurement Time Series Data
낙동강 남강 합류부 수위와 수질 패턴 및 추세
- Yang, Deuk Seok (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Center) ;
- Im, Teo Hyo (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Center) ;
- Lee, In Jung (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Center) ;
- Jung, Kang Young (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Center) ;
- Kim, Gyeong Hoon (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Center) ;
- Kwon, Heon Gak (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Center) ;
- Yoo, Je-Chul (Department of Environment Engineering, Kumoh National of Technology) ;
- Ahn, Jung Min (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Center)
- 양득석 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 임태효 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 이인정 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 정강영 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 김경훈 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 권헌각 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 유제철 (금오공과대학교 환경공학과) ;
- 안정민 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소)
- Received : 2017.11.16
- Accepted : 2018.02.05
- Published : 2018.02.28
As part of the Four Major Rivers Restoration Project, multifunctional weirs have been constructed in the rivers and operated for river-level management. As the weirs play a role in draining water from tributaries, the aim of this study was to determine the influence of the weirs on the water level of the Nam River, which is one of the Nakdong River's tributaries. Self-organizing maps (SOMs) and a locally weighted scatterplot smoothing (LOWESS) technique were applied to analyze the patterns and trends of water level and quality of the Nakdong River, considering the operation of the Changnyeong-Haman weir, which is located where the Nam River flows into the Nakdong River. The software program HEC-RAS was used to find the boundary points where the water is well drained. Per the study results at the monitoring points ranging between the junction of the two rivers and 17.5 km upstream toward the Nam River, the multifunctional weir influenced the water level at the Geoyrong and Daesan observation stations on the Nam River and the water quality based on automatic monitoring at the Chilseo station on the Nakdong River was affected strongly by the Nakdong River and partly by the Nam River.
- ASCE, 1996, River hydraulics, Technical Engineering And Design Guide As Adepted From Us Army Corps Of Engineers, ASCE, New York, 18.
- Cleveland, W. S., Devlin, S. J., 1988, Locally weighted regression: An Approach to regression analysis by local fitting, Journal of the American Statistician Assocociation, 83, 596-610.
- Clow, D. W., Mast, M. A., 1999, Long-term trends in stream water precipitation chemistry at five headwater basins in the northeastern Unites States, Water Resources Research, 35(2), 541-554. https://doi.org/10.1029/1998WR900050
- Garcia, H. L., Gonzalez, I. M., 2003, Self-organizing map and clustering for wastewater treatment monitoring, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 17, 215-225.
- Helsel, D. R., Hirsch, R. M., 2002, Statistical methods in water resources techniques of water-resources investigations book 4, Chapter A3, U.S. Geological Survey, 226-230, 329-335.
- Hirsch, R. M., Slack, J. R., Smith, R. A., 1982, Techniques of trend analysis for monthly water quality data, Water Resources Research, 18(1), 107-121. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR018i001p00107
- Hong, Y. S., Rosen, M. R., 2001, Intelligent characterisation and diagnosis of the groundwater quality in an urban fractured-rock aquifer using an artificial neural network, Urban Water, 3, 193-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1462-0758(01)00045-0
- Huber, W. C., 1985, Deterministic modeling of urban runoff quality, in: Urban runoff pollution, Torno, H. C., Marsalek, J., Desbordes, M. eds., NATO ASI Series, Series G: Ecological Sciences, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, 10, 167-242.
- Huber, W. C., 1986, Modeling urban runoff quality: State of the art, Proceedings of Conference on Urban Runoff Quality, Impact and Quality Enhancement Technology, Urbonas, B., Roesner, L. A. eds., Engineering Foundation, ASCE, New York, NY, 34-48.
- James, L. D., Burges, S. J., 1982, Selection, calibration, and testing of hydrologic models. in: Hydrologic modeling of small watersheds, Haan, C. T., Johnson, H. P., Brakensiek, D. L eds., Monograph, Chapter 11, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, St. Joseph, MI. (5), 435-472.
- Jung, K. Y., Lee, I. J., Lee, K. L., Cheon, S. U., Hong, J. Y., Ahn, J. M., 2016, Long-term trend analysis and exploratory data analysis of Geumho River based on seasonal mann-kendall test, Journal of Environmental Science International, 25(2), 217-229. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.2.217
- Kibler, D. F., 1982, Urban storm water hydrology, American Geophysical Union, Water Resources Monograph, 7, Washington, DC.
- Kim, E. J., Kim, Y. S., Rhew, D. H., Ryu, J. C., Park, B. K., 2014, A Study on the water quality changes of TMDL unit watershed in Guem River Basin using a nonparametric trend analysis, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 30(2), 148-158. https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2014.30.2.148
- Kim, E. S., Yoon, J. H., Lee, J. W., Choi, H. I., 2012, Analysis of long-term trends in lake water quality observations, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 12(1), 231-238. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2012.12.1.231
- Kim, J. T., 2014, Lowess and outlier analysis of biological oxygen demand on Nakdong main stream river, Journal of Korean Data & Information Science Society, 25(1), 119-130. https://doi.org/10.7465/JKDI.2014.25.1.119
- Kim, Y. G., Jin, Y. H., Park, S. C., Kim, J. M., 2010, Analysis of non-point source pollution discharge characteristics in leisure facilities areas for pattern classification, Journal of Korean Water Resources Association, 43(12), 1029-1038. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2010.43.12.1029
- Kohonen, T., 2002, Self-organizing maps. Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Li, W., Merrill, D. E., Haith, D. A., 1989, Loading Functions for Pesticide Runoff, J. WPCF, 62(1), 16-26.
- Lu, H., Bryant, R. B., Buda, A. R., Collick, A. S., Folmar, G. J., Kleinman, P. J. A., 2015, Long-term trends in climate and hydrology in an agricultural, headwater watershed of central Pennsylvania, Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies 4, 713-731. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrh.2015.10.004
- Lu, R. S., Lo, S. L., 2002, Diagnosing reservoir water quality using self-organizing maps and fuzzy theory, Water Research., 36, 2265-2274. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00449-3
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport., 2008, The basic plan of stream-improvement for Nam river-Natoinal rivers, Sejong, Korea.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport., 2009, The basic plan of stream-improvement for Nakdong river-Natoinal rivers, Sejong, Korea.
- Paik, B. C., Kim, C. K., Kim, T. R., 2011, A Study on the pattern analysis of correlation between the river flow and water quality using a SOM technique, Journal of Korea Society of Urban Environment, 11(2), 153-160.
- Paul, M. B., Linfield, C. B., 2002, Statistics for environmental engineers, second edition, Lewis publishers.
- Ritter, A., Munoz-Carpena, R., 2013, Performance evaluation of hydrological models: statistical significance for reducing subjectivity in goodnessof-fit assessments, Journal of Hydrology
- Rodriguez-Murillo, J. C., Filella, M., 2015, Temporal evolution of organic carbon concentrations in Swiss lakes: trends of allochthonous and autochthonous organic carbon, Science of the Total Environment, 520, 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.02.085
- SOM Toolbox Team, 2000, SOM toolbox for Matlab 5, Helsinki University.
- Woo, H., 2002, River hydraulics, Cheong moon gak.
- Wu, M. L., Zhang, Y. Y., Dong, J. D., Wang, Y. S., Cai, C. H., 2011, Identification of coastal water quality by self-organizing map in Sanya Bay, South China Sea, Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management, 14(3), 291-297. https://doi.org/10.1080/14634988.2011.604273