- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An analytical analysis of the pullout behaviour of reinforcements of MSE structures
- Ren, Feifan (Key Laboratory of Geotechnical and Underground Engineering of the Ministry of Education, Tongji University) ;
- Wang, Guan (School of Environment and Architecture, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology) ;
- Ye, Bin (Key Laboratory of Geotechnical and Underground Engineering of the Ministry of Education, Tongji University)
- Received : 2016.06.20
- Accepted : 2017.07.21
- Published : 2018.02.28
Pullout tests are usually employed to determine the ultimate bearing capacity of reinforced soil, and the load-displacement curve can be obtained easily. This paper presents an analytical solution for predicting the full-range mechanical behavior of a buried planar reinforcement subjected to pullout based on a bi-linear bond-slip model. The full-range behavior consists of three consecutive stages: elastic stage, elastic-plastic stage and debonding stage. For each stage, closed-form solutions for the load-displacement relationship, the interfacial slip distribution, the interfacial shear stress distribution and the axial stress distribution along the planar reinforcement were derived. The ultimate load and the effective bond length were also obtained. Then the analytical model was calibrated and validated against three pullout experimental tests. The predicted load-displacement curves as well as the internal displacement distribution are in closed agreement with test results. Moreover, a parametric study on the effect of anchorage length, reinforcement axial stiffness, interfacial shear stiffness and interfacial shear strength is also presented, providing insights into the pullout behaviour of planar reinforcements of MSE structures.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Central Universities
- Abdi, M.R. and Zandieh, A.R. (2014), "Experimental and numerical analysis of large scale pull out tests conducted on clays reinforced with geogrids encapsulated with coarse material", Geotext. Geomembr., 42(5), 494-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2014.07.008
- Abramento, M. and Whittle, A.J. (1995), "Analysis of pullout tests for planar reinforcements in soil", J. Geotech. Eng., 121(6), 476-485. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1995)121:6(476)
- Alobaidi, I.M., Hoare, D.J. and Ghataora, G.S. (1997), "Load transfer mechanism in pull-out tests", Geosynth., 4(5), 509-521. https://doi.org/10.1680/gein.4.0104
- Bathurst, R.J. and Ezzein, F.M. (2015), "Geogrid and soil displacement observations during pullout using a transparent granular soil", Geotech. Test. J., 38(5), 673-685. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ20140145
- Bergado, D.T., Voottipruex, P., Srikongsri, A. and Teerawattanasuk, C. (2001), "Analytical model of interaction between hexagonal wire mesh and silty sand backfill", Can. Geotech. J., 38(4), 782-795. https://doi.org/10.1139/t01-019
- Ferreira, J.A.Z. and Zornberg, J.G. (2015), "A transparent pullout testing device for 3D evaluation of soil-geogrid interaction", Geotech. Test. J., 38(5), 686-707. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ20140198
- Ingold, T.S. (1982), Reinforced Earth, Thomas Telford, London, U.K.
- Karpurapu, R. and Bathurst, R.J. (1995), "Behavior of geosynthetic-reinforced soil retaining walls using the finiteelement method", Comput. Geotech., 17(3), 279-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-352X(95)99214-C
- Palmeira, E.M. (2009), "Soil-geosynthetic interaction: Modelling and analysis", Geotext. Geomembr., 27(5), 368-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2009.03.003
- Ren, F.F., Yang, Z.J., Chen, J.F. and Chen, W.W. (2010), "An analytical analysis of the full-range behaviour of grouted rockbolts based on a tri-linear bond-slip model", Construct. Build. Mater., 24(3), 361-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.08.021
- Schlosser, F. and Elias, V. (1978), "Friction in reinforced Earth", Proceedings of the Symposium on Earth Reinforcement, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., April.
- Sieira, A.C.C.F., Gerscovich, D.M.S. and Sayao, A.S.F.J. (2009), "Displacement and load transfer mechanisms of geogrids under pullout condition", Geotext. Geomembr., 27(4), 241-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2008.11.012
- Teerawattanasuk, C., Bergado, D. and Kongkitkul, W. (2003), "Analytical and numerical modeling of pullout capacity and interaction between hexagonal wire mesh and silty sand backfill under an in-soil pullout test", Can. Geotech. J., 40(5), 886-899. https://doi.org/10.1139/t03-038
- Wang, Z., Jacobs, F. and Ziegler, M. (2016), "Experimental and DEM investigation of geogrid-soil interaction under pullout loads", Geotext. Geomembr., 44(3), 230-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2015.11.001
- Weerasekara, L. and Wijewickreme, D. (2010), "An analytical method to predict the pullout response of geotextiles", Geosynth., 17(4), 193-206. https://doi.org/10.1680/gein.2010.17.4.193
- Wilson-Fahmy, R.F. and Koerner, R.M. (1993), "Finite element modelling of soil-geogrid interaction with application to the behavior of geogrids in a pullout loading condition", Geotext. Geomembr., 12(5), 479-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-1144(93)90023-H
- Wilson-Fahmy, R.F., Koerner, R.M. and Sansone, L.J. (1994), "Experimental behavior of polymeric geogrids in pullout", J. Geotech. Eng., 120(4), 661-677. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1994)120:4(661)
- Xu, C., Chen, H., Shi, Z. and Ren, F. (2013), "Research on the mechanical behavior of soil-reinforcement interface by horizontal cyclic shear test", Rock Soil Mech., 34(6), 1553-1559.
- Yang, G., Ding, J., Zhou, Q. and Zhang, B. (2010), "Field behavior of a geogrid reinforced soil retaining wall with a wrap-around facing", Geotech. Test. J., 33(1), 1-6.