- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of harvest time and added molasses on nutritional content, ensiling characteristics and in vitro degradation of whole crop wheat
- Xia, Chuanqi ;
- Liang, Yixun ;
- Bai, Sarula ;
- He, Yang ;
- Muhammad, Aziz Ur Rahman ;
- Su, Huawei ;
- Cao, Binghai
- Received : 2017.07.21
- Accepted : 2017.09.29
- Published : 2018.03.01
Objective: Wheat is an alternative to corn silage for ruminant feeding in northern China. This study examined the effects of harvest time and added molasses on nutritional content, ensiling characteristics and in vitro degradation of whole crop wheat (WCW). Methods: Fresh WCW at the milk-ripe stage was harvested at 0700 h (i.e., in the morning [Mo]) and 1700 h (i.e., in the afternoon [Af]), and then immediately used to prepare silage and make hay. Commercial molasses was added to Af WCW at 0%, 2%, 4%, and 6% (fresh weight) proportions. The WCW treated with molasses was mixed thoroughly prior to ensiling. Results: Dry matter (DM), neutral detergent fiber, water soluble carbohydrate (WSC) content (p<0.01), accumulative gas production in 72 h (
Harvest Time;Molasses Addition;Nutritional Content;Ensiling Characteristics;In vitro Fermentation;Whole Crop Wheat
- Weddell JR. Add-SaFe as a silage additive for big bale silage. Occasional Symposium-British Grassland Society, 1991;25:228-9.
- Bolsen KK, Ashbell G, Weinberg ZG. Silage fermentation and silage additives - review -. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 1996;9:483-94.
- Dolezal P, Zeman L, Dvoracek J. Quality of silages and silage additives. Krmivarstvi Czech Republic; 2001. p. 16-20.
- Ni K, Wang Y, Cai Y, Pang H. Natural lactic acid bacteria population and silage fermentation of whole-crop wheat. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2015;28:1123-32.
- Weinberg ZG, Chen Y, Solomon R. The quality of commercial wheat silages in Israel. J Dairy Sci 2009;92:638-44.
- Bal EBB, Bal MA. Effects of chemical additives and ensiling time on whole plant wheat silage microbial profiles inferred by phenotypic and 16S ribosomal DNA analyses. World J Microb Biotechnol 2012;28:767-76.
- Adamson AH, Reeve A. Nutritional evaluation of whole-crop wheat. In: Whole-crop cereals. Aberystwyth, UK: Chalcombe Publications; 1992. p. 85-96.
- Weinberg ZG, Ashbell G, Hen Y, Harduf Z. Ensiling whole wheat for ruminant feeding at different stages of maturity. Anim Feed Sci Technol 1991;32:313-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(91)90035-Q
- Lima R, Lourenco M, Diaz RF, Castro A, Fievez V. Effect of combined ensiling of sorghum and soybean with or without molasses and lactobacilli on silage quality and in vitro rumen fermentation. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2010;155:122-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.10.008
- Baytok E, Aksu T, Karsli MA, Muruz H. The effects of formic acid, molasses and inoculant as silage additives on corn silage composition and ruminal fermentation characteristics in sheep. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2005;29:469-74.
- Shao T, Shimojo M, Wang T, Masuda Y. Effect of additives on the fermentation quality and residual mono- and di-saccharides compositions of Forage Oats (Avena sativa L.) and Italian Ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) silages. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2005;18:1582-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1582
- Rezaei J, Rouzbehan Y, Fazaeli H. Nutritive value of fresh and ensiled amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) treated with different levels of molasses. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2009;151:153-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2008.12.001
- Broderick GA, Radloff WJ. Effect of molasses supplementation on the production of lactating dairy cows fed diets based on alfalfa and corn silage. J Dairy Sci 2004;87:2997-3009.
- Menke KH, Raab L, Salewski A, et al. The estimation of the digestibility and metabolizable energy content of ruminant feedingstuffs from the gas production when they are incubated with rumen liquor in vitro. J Agric Sci 1979;93:217-22.
- Orskov ER, McDonald I. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J Agric Sci 1979;92:499-503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- AOAC. Official methods of analysis of the AOAC International. 17th edn. Gaithersberg, MD: AOAC International; 2000.
- Van-Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- McDonald P, Henderson AR, Heron SJE. The biochemistry of silage. 2nd edn. Kingston, Kent: Chalcombe Publications; 1991. p. 340.
- Broderick GA, Kang JH. Automated simultaneous determination of ammonia and total amino acids in ruminal fluid and in vitro media. J Dairy Sci 1980;63:64-75. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82888-8
- Barker SB, Summerson WH. The colorimetric determination of lactic acid in biological material. J Biol Chem 1941;138:535-54.
- Ennahar S, Cai Y, Fujita Y. Phylogenetic diversity of lactic acid bacteria associated with paddy rice silage as determined by 16S ribosomal DNA analysis. Appl Environ Microbiol 2003;69:444-51.
- Fenton MP. An investigation into the sources of lactic acid bacteria in grass silage. J Appl Microbiol 2008;62:181-8.
- Reponen TA, Gazenko SV, Grinshpun SA, Willeke K, Cole EC. Characteristics of airborne actinomycete spores. Appl Environ Microbiol 1998;64:3807-12.
- Tong YY, Lighthart B. Effect of simulated solar radiation on mixed outdoor atmospheric bacterial populations. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 1998;26:311-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6941.1998.tb00515.x
- Kilic U. Nutritive values of whole-crop wheat hay and silage and effect of microbial inoculants on in vitro gas production. J Appl Anim Res 2010;37:67-71. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2010.9707096
- Williams CC, Froetschel MA, Ely LO, Amos HE. Effects of inoculation and wilting on the preservation and utilization of wheat forage. J Dairy Sci 1995;78:1755-65. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76801-1
- Chamberlain AT, Wilkinson JM. Feeding the dairy cow, 2nd edition. Lincoln, UK: Chalcombe Publications; 2000.
- Chase LE. Controlling silage quality. In: Cornell nutrition conference for feed manufacture. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University; 1988.
- Shao T, Ohba N, Shimojo M, Masuda Y. Effects of addition of glucose and sorbic acid on the fermentation quality of guineagrass (Panicum maximum Jacq.) silages. J Fac Agric Kyushu U 2003;47:351-8.
- Nsahlai IV, Siaw DEKA, Osuji PO. The relationships between gas production and chemical composition of 23 browses of the genus Sesbania. J Sci Food Agric 1994;65:13-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740650104
- The Effect of Coleus amboinicus L. Supplementation on In vitro Digestibility vol.18, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2019.241.246