- Volume 13 Issue 2
This paper aims is to study the effect of photovoltaic generation penetration and STATCOM on the transient stability of a single machine infinite bus (SMIB) system based on the rotor angle stability. The influence of STATCOM and PV penetration can be seen through damping oscillations, so that the generator remains stable with the rest of the system for various fault conditions. The simulation results obtained make it possible to efficient identify harmful and beneficial impact of increasing the PV penetration and the existence of STATCOM capability. The system model is created in MATLAB/ SIMULINK software.
Photovoltaic power system;Synchronous generator stability;STATCOM;Rotor angle stability
- Rupesh G. Wandhare and Vivek Agarwal, "Novel Integration of a PV-Wind Energy System With Enhanced Efficiency", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 3638-3649, July 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2345766
- Mohammad S. Widyan, Rolf E. Hanitsch. Operating point stability analysis of SMIB power system equipped with high PV penetration. Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 55, pp. 522-530, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.09.031
- Chia-Hung Lin, Wei-Lin Hsieh, Chao-Shun Chen, Cheng-Ting Hsu, and Te-Tien Ku, "Optimization of Photovoltaic Penetration in Distribution Systems Considering Annual Duration Curve of Solar Irradiation," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 1090-1097, MAY 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2178619
- Hongbin Wu, Shuzhao Wang, Bo Zhao and Chengzhi Zhu, "Energy management and control strategy of a grid-connected PV/battery system," Int. Trans. Electr. Energ. Syst, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1590-1602, August 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.1926
- Fetissi Selwa, Labed Djamel, Labed Imen and Seghrine Hasiba, "Impact of PSS and STATCOM on transient stability of multi-machine power system connected to PV generation," International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA) on Palermo 22-25 Nov. 2015 IEEE, pp. 1416-1421.
- Karami , S.Z. Esmaili, "Transient stability assessment of power systems described with detailed models using neural networks," Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 45, 2013, pp. 279-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.08.071
- Chong Suk Song, Gilsoo Jang and Chang-Hyun Park, "Visualization of Dynamic Simulation Data for Power System Stability Assessment," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 484-492, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.4.484
- M. Yagami, T. Hasegawa, J. Tamura, "Transient stability assessment of synchronous generator in power system with high-penetration photovoltaics," 15th International Conference on Electrical Machine and System (ICEMS), IEEE, 21-24 Oct.2012, pp. 1-6.
- Mohammed T. Hussain and Ibrahim .M. El-Amin, "A PV Controlled System for Damping Power System Oscillations," Innovative Smart Grid Technologies -Middle East (ISGT Middle East), 2011 IEEE PES Conference on Jeddah, 17-20 Dec. 2011 IEEE, pp. 1-5.
- Prabha Kundur & all, IEEE/CIGRE Joint Task Force on Stability Terms and Definitions, "Definition and Classification of Power System Stability," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 2004, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 1387-1401. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.825981
- Saeid Jalilzadeh, Reza Noroozian, Mahdi Sabouri and Saeid Behzadp, "PSS and SVC Controller Design Using Chaos, PSO and SFL Algorithms to Enhancing the Power System Stability," Energy and Power Engineering, 2011, vol. 3, pp. 87-95. https://doi.org/10.4236/epe.2011.32012
- G.R. Mohapatra and A. Kalam, "Dynamic Stability Analysis of Renewable Energy Sources Interconnected to the Distribution Networks," Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC'08), 2008, pp. 1-4.
- Ali Zafari, and Mostafa Jazaeri, "STATCOM systems in distribution and transmission system applications: are view of power-stage topologies and control methods," Int. Trans. Electr. Energ. Syst, vol. 26. no. 2, pp. 323-346, February 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.2084
- Tran Thi Ngoat and Le Ngoc Giang, "Assessment of the Effectiveness of Two Coordinated Systems: SVCPSS and STATCOM-PSS for Improving Transient Stability of Power System," International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 414-418, August 2013.
- Q. Yu, "Applications of Flexible AC Transmissions System(FACTS) Technology in SmartGrid and Its EMC Impact," Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 4-8 Aug 2014, IEEE, pp. 392-397.
- Kusum Tharani and Ratna Dahiya, "PV Module integration with STATCOM for Reactive Power Compensation," International Conference on Innovative Applications of Computational Intelligence on Power, Energy and Controls with their Impact on Humanity (CIPECH14) 28 & 29 November 2014, pp. 400-404.
- Claudio A. Can˜izares, Massimo Pozzi, Sandro Corsi, Edvina Uzunovic, "STATCOM modeling for voltage and angle stability studies," Electrical Power and Energy Systems 25 (2003), pp. 431-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615(02)00125-4
- Mohsen Darabian, Abolfazl Jalilvand, "Predictive control strategy to improve stability of DFIG-based wind generation connected to a large-scale power system," Int. Trans. Electr. Energ. Syst, pp. 1-19, Nov 2016.
- Arvind Pahade and Nitin Saxena, "Transient stability improvement by using shunt FACT device (STATCOM) with Reference Voltage Compensation (RVC) control scheme," International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 7-12, 2013.
- Saman Babaei, Babak Parkhideh, Mukul C. Chandorkar, Bruce Fardanesh and Subhashish Bhattacharya, "Dual Angle Control for Line-Frequency-Switched Static Synchronous Compensators Under System Faults," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 2723-2736, June 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2273799
- Takanori Isobe, Daisuke Shiojima, Kyohei Kato, Yoel Raul Rosales Hernandez, and Ryuichi Shimada, "Full-Bridge Reactive Power Compensator With Minimized-Equipped Capacitor and Its Application to Static Var Compensator," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 224-234, January 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2412954
- Raul Sarrias, Carlos Gonzalez, Luis M. Fernandez, Carlos Andres Garcia and Francisco Jurado, "Comparative Study of the Behavior of a Wind Farm Integrating Three Different FACTS Devices," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 4: pp. 1258-1268, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.4.1258
- Fetissi Selwa, Labed Djamel and Labed Imen, "The Transient Stability Study of a Synchronous Generator Based on the Rotor Angle Stability," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1319-1327, December 2015.
- P.Sravanthi, K. Radha Rani, Dr. J. Amarnath, Dr. S. Kamakshaiah, "Critical Clearing Time and Transient Stability Analysis of SCIG based Wind Farm with STATCOM," Smart Electric Grid (ISEG), 2014 International Conference on Guntur, 19-20 Sept. 2014, IEEE, pp. 1-8.
- Sara Eftekharnejad, Vijay Vittal, Gerald Thomas Heydt, Brian Keel, and Jeffrey Loehr, "Impact of Increased Penetration of Photovoltaic Generation on Power Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 893-901, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2216294
- Jignesh S. Patel and Manish N. Sinha, "Power System Transient Stability Analysis Using ETAP Software," National Conference on Recent Trends in Engineering & Technology, Gujarat, India, 13-14 May 2011.
- Sibasish Pandaa, Anup Kumar Pandab and H.N Pratiharia, "Fault Analysis on Grid Connected MPPT based Photovoltaic System," International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 833-843, August 2013.
- Prince Jose, and Priya Rani Jose, "Grid Connected Photovoltaic System with Fuzzy Logic Control Based MPPT," International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 142-148, February, 2014.
- Xiongfei Wang, Yun Wei Li, Frede Blaabjerg and Poh Chiang Loh, "Virtual-Impedance-Based Control for Voltage Source and Current Source Converters," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 7019-7037, December 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2382565
- Lei Wang, Hongjie Jia, "STATCOM impact on small signal stability of wind farm integration," IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies on Tianjin, 21-24 May 2012, pp. 1-5.
- M. R. I. Sheikh, M. S. Hossain, and R. Hossain, "Stability Enhancement of a Grid Connected Wind Farm by Using STATCOM," International Conference on Electrical & Electronic Engineering (ICEEE) on Rajshahi, Bangladesh, 4-6 Nov. 2015, IEEE, pp. 81-84.
- Wen-Hao Zhang, Seung-Jae Lee and Myeon-Song Choi, "Setting Considerations of Distance Relay for Transmission Line with STATCOM," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 522-529, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.4.522
- Reza Hemmati, Hamidreza Koofigar and Mohammad Ataei, "Optimal Adaptive Controller Based on STATCOM and UPFC," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1057-1062, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.5.1057
- Yao Xu, Fangxing Li, "Adaptive PI Control of STATCOMfor Voltage Regulation," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1002-1011, June 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2291576