- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Iron Losses in Flux-Switching Permanent Magnet Machines
- Shin, Heung-Kyo (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Engineering Research Institute, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.09.06
- Accepted : 2017.12.06
- Published : 2018.03.01
Flux-switching permanent magnet machines (FSPMM) have doubly-salient and simple structures making it cost effective and suitable for mass production. In addition, it is possible to increase the rotor rotating speed and concentrate the flux of the permanent magnet on the air-gap. Due to these merits, the FSPMM can be applied to the various industry applications. To improve the performance, various design variables need to be studied in terms of design techniques. In this paper, we especially concentrate on the distribution of iron losses using a two-dimensional finite-element method (2D FEM). As a result, we can get an information for high efficiency FSPMM design.
- S. E. Rauch and L. J. Johnson, "Design principles of flux-switching alternators," AIEE Trans. 74III, pp. 1261-1268, 1995.
- Y. Liao, F. Liang, and T. A. Lipo, "A novel permanentmagnet motor with doubly-salient structure," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1069-1078, Sept./Oct. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.464521
- M. Cheng, K. T. Chau, and C. C. Chan, "Static characteristics of a new doubly salient permanent magnet machine," IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 20-25, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.911398
- E. Hoang, A. H. Ben-Ahmed, and J. Lucidarme, "Switching flux permanent magnet polyphased machines," EPE'97 7th European Conf. Power Electronic and Applications, vol. 3, pp. 903-908, 1997.
- E. Hoang, M. Gabsi, M. Lecrivain, and B. Multon, "Influence of magnetic losses on maximum power limits of synchronous permanent magnet drives in flux-weakening mode," Proc. IEEE IAS 2000 Annual Conf., vol. 1, pp. 299-303, 2000.
- Y. Amara, E. Hoang, M. Gabsi, M. Lecrivain, and S. Allano, "Design and comparison of different fluxswitch synchronous machines for an aircraft oil breather application," Proc. 2nd IEEE Int. Conf. Signals, Systems, Decision and Information Technology, pp. 26-29, March 2003.
- Z. Q. Zhu, Y. Pang, D. Howe, S. Iwasaki, R. Deodhar, and A. Pride, "Analysis of Electromagnetic Performance of Flux-Switching Permanent Magnet Machines by Nonlinear Adaptive Lumped Parameter Magnetic Circuit Model," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 4277-4287, July 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2005.854441
- K. Yamazaki, "Torque and efficiency calculation of an interior permanent magnet motor considering harmonic iron losses of both the stator and rotor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 1460-1463, July 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2003.810515
- Tae Heoung Kim and Ju Lee, "Comparison of the Iron Loss of a Flux-Reversal Machine Under Four Different PWM Modes," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1725-1728, April 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.892287