- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study of Visual Components in the Best Seller Cover Design in 2017
2017년 베스트셀러 표지디자인의 시각적 구성요소에 대한 연구
- Lee, Young hwa (Dept. of Visual Information Design, Dong Yang Mirae University)
- 이영화 (동양미래대학교 시각정보디자인과)
- Received : 2017.11.26
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
This study would analyze visual components in the best seller cover design in 2017. The visual components were classified through a preliminary review with editorial design experts, and the top 20 best sellers at the Kyobo Book Centre, which recorded the top rank in sales in 2017 were selected as the subjects of the study. The subjects of the survey were 50 graduates from the design-related departments, who could judge the components, and the following results were drawn as an analysis. First, most layouts were a comparison type, and The Temperature of Language took the highest position at 45.5%. Second, in the typography, having a correlation with the section, most were composed of a Serif, and 'Sapiens' took the highest position at 92.5%. Third, the image is concerned with the illustration, in which The Miracles of the Namiya General Store took the highest position at 93.2%. These visual components of the cover design act as an important factor in choosing books for readers who first encounter the books. Thus, it would be necessary to continue to conduct studies of visual components in best sellers, and hopefully, this study would be helpful for the development of the publication market as it is utilized in the marketing field based on these studies.
Cover Design;Visual Components;Layout;Typography;Image
- S. E. Lee, "Study of the Influence of Infant Picture Book Cover Design on Purchasing," Dongduk Women's University, Master's Thesis, p.15, 1998.
- S. A. Roh, "Study of the Book Cover Design by Typography," Ewha Womans University, Master's Thesis, p.48. 1985.
- M. E. Bevlin, trans. K. W. Jeong, Design through Discovery, Design House, p.306, 1989.
- J. S. Kim, Books that make Good Books, Doosung Books, p.160, 2014.
- H. J. Ju, "Study of the Formativeness of Cover Design of Domestic News Magazines," Konkuk University, Master's Thesis, pp. 15-19, 2003.
- H. S. Lee, "Study of the Visual Components of the Best Seller Cover Design in the 2000s," Chung-Ang University, Master's Thesis, pp. 9-12, 2010.
- K. H. Kim, Packing Design, Johyoungsa, p.18, 1994.
- I. J. Lee, Truth of Best Seller, Kyoungin Munhwa-sa, pp. 30-34, 1998.
- H. O. Seong, "Study of the Formal Change of the Best Seller Cover Design by Age," Sookmyung Women's University, Master's Thesis, pp. 51-55, 2012.
- H. J. Lee, "Study of the Method of Teaching Layouts using Grid System in Editorial Design Education," Kookmin University, Master's Thesis, pp. 11-12, 2005.
- J. W. Jeong, "Study of the Visual Components of the Best Seller Cover Design in South Korea and China," Yeungnam University, Master's Thesis, pp. 14-15, 2013.
- J. H. Choi, "Study on the Education of Ideas through Visual Thinking," Kookmin University, Master's Thesis, p.8, 2007.
- S. G. Kim, Reporter, "Online Bookstore growing Spurt," Maeil Business News MBN, April 27, 2017.
- Y. J. Park, "Study of the Preference for Cover Design by Visual Component," Hongik University, Master's Thesis, 2014.
- S. Y. Park, "Study of the Trend of Cover Design in South Korea," Hongik University, Master's Thesis, 2009
- H. J. Lee, "Study of the Characterization of Publication Cover Design," Chung-Ang University, Master's Thesis, 2001.