- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study of Factors That Influence Awareness of Spirituality Education, Perceived Importance of Spiritual Education, and Satisfaction of Spiritual Education
영성 교육 인지, 영성 교육이 중요성 인식, 영성 교육의 만족에 미치는 요인에 관한 연구
- Yim, Myung-Seong (Department of Business Administration, Sahmyook University)
- 임명성 (삼육대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
In order to overcome the limitations of the previous study, this study reviews the concepts related to spirituality, spiritual wellbeing, workplace spirituality, spirituality and religion in detail. Furthermore, this study was to examine the effects of spiritual education. It is important to examine the effects of spiritual education on individual performance. To do this, proposed model in this study reflects individual, group, and organizational perspectives to reflect all dimensions of spirituality. The proposal model rooted in the theory of vocational personality types and work environments was analyzed empirically. We found that non-work commitment has a negative effect on perceived importance of spiritual education. On the other hand, the appropriateness of work and managers' concerns have a positive effect on the awareness of spiritual education. In addition, awareness of spiritual education has a positive influence on satisfaction of spiritual education. Finally, perceived importance of spiritual education has a positive effect on the satisfaction of spiritual education. Conclusions and implications are discussed.
spirituality;spiritual well-being;religiosity;spiritual education;convergence of scholarship and religion
- J. Milliman, A. J. Czaplewski and J. Ferguson, "Workplace Spirituality and Employee Work Attitudes: An Exploratory Empirical Assessment," Journal of Organizational Change Management, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 426-447, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810310484172
- J. M. Sprung, M. T. Sliter and S. M. Jex, "Spirituality as a Moderator of the Relationship between Workplace Aggression and Employee Outcomes," Personality and Individual Difference, Vol. 53, Issue 7, pp. 930-934, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2012.06.011
- A. Osman-Gani, J. Hashim and Y. Ismail, "Establishing Linkages between Religiosity and Spirituality on Employee Performance," Employee Relations, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 360-376, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/ER-04-2012-0030
- A. Rego and M. P. e Cunha, "Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Commitment: An Empirical Study," Journal of Organizational Change Management, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 53-75, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810810847039
- M. E. Malik and B. Naeem, "Role of Spirituality in Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment among Faculty of Institutes of Higher Learning in Pakistan," African Journal of Business Management, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 1236-1244, 2011.
- B. Afsar, Y. Badir and U. S. Kiani, "Linking Spiritual Leadership and Employee Pro-Environmental Behavior: The Influence of Workplace Spirituality, Intrinsic Motivation, and Environmental Passion," Journal of Environmental Psychology, Vol. 45, pp. 79-88, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2015.11.011
- F. Kazemipour, S. M. Amin and B. Pourseidi, "Relationship between Workplace Spiritual and Organizational Citizenship Behavior among Nurses through Mediation of Affective Organizational Commitment," Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 302-310, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2012.01456.x
- D. P. Ashmos and D. Duchon, "Spirituality at Work: A Conceptualization and Measure," Journal of Management Inquiry, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 134-145, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/105649260092008
- L, Chiu, J. D. Emblen, L, Van Hofwegen, R. Sawatzky and H. Meyerhoff, "An Integrative Review of the Concept of Spirituality in the Health Sciences," Western Journal of Nursing Research, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 405-428, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945904263411
- A. Lazar, "Spirituality and Job Satisfaction among Female Jewish Israeli Hospital Nurses," Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 66, No. 2, pp. 334-344, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05172.x
- A. Altaf and M. A. Awan, "Moderating Affect of Workplace Spirituality on the Relationship of Job Overload and Job Satisfaction," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 104, pp. 93-99, 2011.
- F. Kazemipour and S. M. Amin, "The Impact of Workplace Spirituality Dimensions on Organiational Citizenship Behaviour among Nurses with the Mediating Effect of Affective Organisational Commitment," Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 20, pp. 1039-1048, 2012.
- S. J. Gallagher, T. S. Rocco and H. Landorf, "A Phenomenological Study of Spirituality and Learning Processes at Work: Exploring the Holistic Theory of Knowledge and Learning," Human Resource Development Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 457-480, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.1215
- J. L. Holland, Making Vocational Choices: A Theory of Vocational Personalities and Work Environments, 3rd eds. Psychological Assessment Resources, Adessa, FL., 1997.
- V. Chawla and S. Guda, "Individual Spirituality at Work and Its Relationship with Job Satisfaction, Propensity to Leave and Job Commitment: An Exploratory Study among Sales Professionals," Journal of Human Values, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 157-167, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/097168581001600203
- M. Edwards, "Good for Business: An Integral Theory Perspective on Spirituality in Organisations," Journal of Spirituality, Leadership and Management, Vol. 3, pp. 2-11, 2004.
- C. K. Chandler, J. M. Holden and C. A. Kolander, "Counseling for Spiritual Wellness: Theory and Practice," Journal of Counseling & Development, Vol. 71, pp. 168-175, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1992.tb02193.x
- T. W. Moore and W. J. Casper, "An Examination of Proxy Measures of Workplace Spirituality: A Profile Model of Multidimensional Constructs," Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 109-118, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/107179190601200407
- M. J. Tejeda, "Exploring the Supportive Effects of Spiritual Well-Being on Job Satisfaction Given Adverse Work Conditions," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 131, pp. 173-181, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2269-6
- R. M. M. I. Chowdhury and M. Fernando, "The Role of Spiritual Well-Being and Materialism in Determining Consumers' Ethical Beliefs: An Empirical Study with Australian Consumers," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 113, pp. 61-79, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1282-x
- K. M. Perrone, L. K. Webb, S. L. Wright, Z. V. Jackson and T. M. Ksiazak, "Relationship of Spirituality to Work and Family Roles and Life Satisfaction among Gifted Adults," Journal of Mental Health Counseling, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 253-268, 2006. https://doi.org/10.17744/mehc.28.3.81a1dlhwelblce0v
- P. Chand and H. Koul, "Workplace Spirituality, Organizational Emotional Ownership and Job Satisfaction as Moderators in Coping with Job Stress," International Conference on Humanities, Economics and Geography, March 17-18, Bangkok, pp. 225-229, 2012.
- F. J. Weinberg and W. B. Locander, "Advancing Workplace Spiritual Development: A Dyadic Mentoring Approach," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 25, pp. 391-408, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.10.009
- K. W. Hammell, "Intrinsicality: Reconsidering Spirituality, Meaning(s) and Mandates," Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, Vol. 68, Issue 3, pp. 186-194, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/000841740106800307
- J. E. Sanders III, W. E. Hopkins and G. D. Geroy, "From Transactional to Transcendental: Toward an Integrated Theory of Leadership," Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 21-31, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/107179190300900402
- B. Yang, "Holistic Learning Theory and Implications for Human Resource Development," Advances in Developing Human Resources, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 241-262, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422304263431
- R. Assagioli, Psychosynthesis: A Manual of Principles and Techniques. New York: Viking Penguin, 1965.
- M. S. Yim, "An Empirical Study on Relationship among Management Ideological Education, Stressors in Organizations and Job Satisfaction: From Education and Medical Service Firms," Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 183-219, 2015a.
- M. S. Yim and H. S. Byeon, "An Exploratory Study on Role of Management Ideological Education between Regulatory Focus and Turnover Intention," Logos Management Review, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 161-190, 2015.
- M. S. Yim, "A Study of the Effect of Spirituality Education on Stressors at Work and Job Satisfaction in Service Organizations," Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 55-88, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15706/jksms.2016.17.5.003
- T. S. Jeong and M. S. Yim, "An Exploratory Research for Identifying the Role of Spiritual Education at Workplace: A Longitudinal Analysis," Korean Management Consulting Review, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 125-141, 2017.
- J. C. Anderson and D. W. Gerbing, "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- J. Hulland, "Use of Partial Least Squares (PLS) in Strategic Management Research: A Review of Four Recent Studies," Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 20, pp. 195-204, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199902)20:2<195::AID-SMJ13>3.0.CO;2-7
- C. L. Shook, D. J. Ketchen, Jr., G. T. M. Hult and K. M. Kacmar, "An Assessment of the Use of Structural Equation Modeling in Strategic Management Research," Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 25, pp. 397-404, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.385
- T. J. B. Kline, L. M. Sulsky and S. D. Rever-Moriyama, "Common Method Variance and Specification Errors A Practical Approach to Detection," Journal of Psychology, Vol. 134, No. 4, pp. 401-421, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980009598225
- C. W. Craighead, D. J. Ketchen, Jr., K. S. Dunn and G. T. M. Hult, "Addressing Common Method Variance: Guidelines for Survey Research on Information Technology, Operations, and Supply Chain Management," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp. 578-588, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2011.2136437
- N. K. Malhotra, S. S. Kim and A. Patil, "Common Method Variance in IS Research: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches and a Reanalysis of Past Research," Management Science, Vol. 52, No. 12, pp. 1865-1883, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0597
- D. T. Campbell and D. W. Fiske, "Convergent and Discriminant Validation by the Multitrait-Multimethod Matrix," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 56, pp. 81-105, 1959. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0046016
- P. M. Podsakoff and D. W. Organ, Self-Reports in Organizational Research: Problems and Prospects," Journal of Management, Vol. 12, pp. 531-544, 1986.
- A. Rindfleisch, A. J. Malter, S. Ganesan and C. Moorman, "Cross-Sectional versus Longituinal Survey Research: Concepts, Findings, and Guidelines," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 261-279, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.45.3.261
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, J. Y. Lee and N. P. Podsakoff, "Common Method Biases in Behavioral Research: A Critical Review of the Literature and Recommended Remedies," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 88, pp. 879-903, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- D. Gefen and D. Straub, "A Practical Guide to Factorial Validity Using PLS-Graph: Tutorial and Annotated Example," Communication of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 16, pp. 91-109, 2005.
- M. S. Yim, "Factor Analysis for Exploratory Research in the Distribution Science Field," Journal of Distribution Science, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 103-112, 2015b.
- J. F. Hair, Jr., W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson and R. L. Tatham, Multivariate Data Analysis, 6th eds, Pearson Education Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2006.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- C. Fornell and F. L. Bookstein, "Two Structural Equation Models: LISREL and PLS Applied to Consumer Exit-Voice Theory," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 440-452, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151718
- J. J. Sosik, S. S. Kahai and M. J. Piovoso, "Silver Bullet or Voodoo Statistics? A Primer for Using Partial Least Squares Data Analytic Technique in Group and Organization Research," Group and Organization Management, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 5-36, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601108329198
- M. B. Vandenbosch, "Confirmatory Compositional Approaches to the Development of Product Spaces," European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 30, Issue 3, pp. 23-46, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569610107418
- M. Muller and S. Gaudig, "An Empirical Investigation of Antecedents to Information Exchange in Supply Chains," International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 49, Issue 6, pp. 1531-1555, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540903567317
- M. Tenenhaus, "Component-based Structural Equation Modelling," Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, Vol. 19, Issue 7/8, pp. 871-886, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360802159543
- M. Sarstedt, C. M. Ringle, J. Henseler and J. F. Hair, "On the Emancipation of PLS-SEM: A Commentary on Rigdon(2012)," Long Range Planning, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 154-160, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2014.02.007