- Volume 9 Issue 1
Although the use of silicone hydrogel contact lenses which are known to have high oxygen transmissibility is increasing, they are being sold without any product labeling of physical properties such as water content and oxygen transmissibility. To analyze the physical properties such as the water content and oxygen transmissibility of approved silicone hydrogel contact lenses, this study collected and analyzed the approval information published on the KFDA website. Of 68 cases of domestic silicone hydrogel contact lenses analyzed in this study, 61 cases (89.7%) did not meet the international standard for oxygen permeability. This is because lenses that are not different from hydrogel contact lenses were submitted for approval as silicone hydrogel contact lenses because there is no domestic standard for silicone hydrogel contact lenses. In future, besides the information published on the website, analysis of the physical properties of a wide variety of actual silicone hydrogel contact lenses on the market is required.
Oxygen transmissibility;Contact lens;Silicone Hydrogel;Coneal edema;Water content;Convergence
- P.S. Kim, S.D. Kim, J.D. Kim, C.W. Choi, "A Survey on Contact Lens Care in Young Adolescent Student," Journal of Korean Ophthalmological Society, Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 54-58, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2014.55.1.54
- T. H. Kim, G. R. Min, A. Y Sung, "Study on the Contact Lenses Wear Status of University Students" Journal of Korean Ophthalmic Optics Society, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 151-157, 2005.
- Y. Y. Song, H. J. Oh, M. A. Jung, "Survey on Contact Lens Wear Status in Gyeonggido," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 373-378, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.373
- J.H. Kim, J.S. Song, J.Y. Hyon, S.K. Chung, T.J. Kim, "A Survey of Contact Lens-Related Complications in Korea: The Korean Contact Lens Study Society," Journal of Korean Ophthalmological Society, Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 20-31, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2014.55.1.20
- K. J. Lee, J. W. Buyn, M. Y. Mun, H. S. Leem, "The Relationship between Habitual Patient-reported Symptoms and Signs in the Soft Contact Lens Wearers" Journal Korean Ophthalmic Optics Society, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 19-28, 2008.
- K. S. Kim, S. K. Kim, H. J. Kim, "The Survey on its Wearing Schedule of Workers Wearing Contact Lens" Journal of Korean Ophthalmic Optics Society, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 43-49, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2015.20.1.43
- J.Y. Choi, Y.Y. Song, J.C. Byun, "The Status of Contact Lens Wearing, Management and Eye Health Awareness Among Female University Students in Jeju Area" Journal Korean Ophthalmic Optics Society, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 203-214, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.3.203
- The Korean Contact Lens Study Society, Contact Lens: Principles and Practice, Koonja Publishing, pp. 211-218, 2014.
- J. H. Kim, RGP Contact Lens, Hyunmoonsa, pp. 16-17, 1998.
- W. J. Benjamin, "Downsizing of Dk and Dk/L: The Difficulty in Using hPa Instead of mmHg," Contact Lens and Anterior Eye, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 188-189, 1996.
- B.A. Holden, G.W. Mertz, "Critical Oxygen Levels to Avoid Corneal Edema for Daily and Extended Wear Contact Lenses," Investigative Ophthalmology Visual Science, Vol. 25, No. 10, pp. 1161-1167, 1984.
- K. J. Lee, M. Y. Mun, J. W. Buyn, H. S. Leem, "Changes in Objective and Subjective Responses in Soft Contact Lens Wearers Refitted to Daily-Wear Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses" Journal of Korean Ophthalmic Optics Society, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 43-54, 2007.
- J.D. Kim, J.H. Yoon, Contact lens complete conquest, Doing media, pp. 71, 2012.
- J. H. Lee, K. S. Lee, B. S. Chu, "Contact Lens Prescribing Pattern in Korean During 2010 to 2013" Journal of Korean Ophthalmic Optics Society, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 323-329, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.3.323
- S. D. Klyce, "Ocular Changes Due to Contact Lenses." American Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 58, pp. 424-443, 1964. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9394(64)91221-8
- G. Iskeleli, Y. Karakoc, B. Akdeniz-Kayhan, U. Kayhan, B. Gurler, S. Ozkan, "Comparison of Tear Lactate Dehydrogenase Activities of Different Types of Contact Lens Wearers and Normal Control Group" The CLAO Journal: Eye and Contact Lens, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 101-104, 1999.
- J. S. Song, H. Lee, J. W. Kim, M. H. Chang, S. K. Ha, H.M. Kim, "The Effects of Cheap Tinted Contact Lenses on Corneal Swelling and Ocular Surface Inflammation" Journal of Korean Ophthalmological Society, Vol. 49, No. 12, pp. 1888-1893, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2008.49.12.1888
- P.B. Morgan, C.A. Woods, I.D. Tranoudis, M. Helland, N. Efron, L. Jones, M. Beusekom, C.N. Grupcheva, D. Jones, M. Beeler-Kaupke, Q.I. Polo; K.O. Tan, J. Krasnaska, H. Pult, O. Ravn, J. Santodomingo, M. Vegh, C.S. Fan, N. Erdinest, A.R. Jafari, G. Montani, M. Itoi, B.S. Chu, J. Bendoriene, V. Ziziuchin, E. Worp, W. Lam, J. Romualdez-Oo, C. Abesamis-Dichoso, J.M. Gonzalez-Meijome, V. Belousov, P. Gierow, M.S. Silih, J. Hsiao, J.J. Nichols, "International Contact Lens Prescribing in 2016." Contact Lens Spectrum, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 30-35, 2017.
- K.S. Kim, T.H. Kim, "Performance Comparison of Released Contact Lens in the Korea: KFDA Approval Data Analysis" The Korean Journal of Vision Science, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 461-474, 2016.
- S. A. Kim, J. W. Jung, K. Y. Seo, H. K. Lee, E. K. Kim, T. I. Kim, "Comparison and Investigation of the National Standards for Tinted Contact Lenses between Various Countries," Journal of Korean Ophthalmological Society, Vol. 56, No. 11, pp. 1692-1698, 2015. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2015.56.11.1692
- T. H. Kim, Study on High-Performance Contact Lens Material and the Standardization of Performance Assessment. Daebul University, Ph.D. thesis, 2011.
- T. I Kim, "Study for Amendment of Standard Guideline for Safety of Contact Lens," National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation, pp. 52-58, 2014.
- J. R. Yeom, Analysis of satisfaction with silicone hydrogel contact lens and its and physical properties, Baekseok University, Master's thesis, 2016.
- K. H. Ye, T. H. Kim, A. Y. Sung, "Study on the water content variation of contact lens with silicone type," The Korean Journal of Vision Science, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 63-70, 2008.