- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Convergence Factors Affecting Nursing Students' Adjustment to College Life
간호대학생의 학교생활적응에 미치는 융복합적 영향요인
- Park, Dahye (Department of Nursing, Semyung University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Daewon University College)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
This study was conducted to identify the factors affecting nursing students' adjustment to college life. 364 students from six different nursing colleges were recruited into the study. The data were collected using questionnaires about bullying, peer support, ego-resilience and adjustment to college life and were analyzed using IBM SPSS 19.0 program. Data were collected from March 3rd, 2014 to December 12th, 2015. The results indicated that bullying(r=-.24, p<.001) had a significant negative association with nursing college adaptation. And adjustment to college life was positively correlated with peer support(r=.38, p<.001) and ego-resilience(r=.69, p<.001). The significant predictors of adjustment to college life were ego-resilience (F=334.33, p<.001), peer support(F=60.86, p<.001) and bullying(F=22.03, p<.001), explaining 47% of the variance. Based on the study results, we suggest that it is necessary to develop and apply the educational strategy to improve the peer support and ego-resilience for the adjustment to college life.
Adjustment to college life;Bullying;Convergence;Ego-resilience;Peer support
Supported by : Semyung University
- M. E. Fass, & J. G. Tubman, "The influences of parental nd peer attachment on college students' academic achievement," Psychology in the School, Vol. 39, No. 5, pp. 561-573, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.10050
- H. Y. Lee, "Parenting Behavior and Adjustment to College : Moderating effect of Cultural Dispositions," Journal of North-East Asian Cultures, Vol. 14, pp. 337-355, 2008.
- D. L. Coffman, & T. D. Gillian, "Social support, stress and self-efficacy: Effect on student's satisfaction," Journal of College Student Retention, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 53-66, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2190/BV7X-F87X-2MXL-2B3L
- K. W. Kim, Y. H. Cho, "Mediation and moderation effects of self-efficacy between career stress and college adjustment among freshmen," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 197-218, 2011.
- K. H. Kim, E. S. Kim, "The Influence of Nursing Student;s Self-leadership, Self-esteem on Clinical Practice Stress and Stress Coping," Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1519-1533, 2012.
- E. A. Kim, Developing a Prediction Model regarding Adjustment of Nursing Students to College Life, Unpublished master dissertation, Jeonnam, University of Jeonnam, 2011
- E. A. Kim, K. S. Jang, "Developing a prediction model regarding adjustment of nursing students to college life," The Journal of Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 312-322, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312
- J. E. Lee, The Moderating effect of self-compassion on the relationship between past Bullying experience during dolescence and Adjustment ot college: the Mederating Effect of Self -compassion, Unpublished master dissertation, Seoul, University of Sungshin, 2016
- S. Hinduja, J. W. Patchin, "Bullying, cyber bullying, and suicide," Archives of Suicide Research, Vol. 14, pp. 206-221, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811118.2010.494133
- F. Mishna, M. Khoury-Kassabri, T. Gadalla, J. Daciuk, "Risk factors for involvement in cyber bullying: Victims, bullies and bully-victims," Children and Youth Services Review, Vol. 34, pp. 63-70, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2011.08.032
- S. Einarsen, B. I. Raknes, "Harassment in the workplace and the victimization of men," Violence and Victim, Vol. 12, pp. 247-263, 1997.
- E. G. Mikkelsen, S. Einarsen, "Relationship between Exposure to Bullying at Work and Psychological and Psychosomatic Health Complaints: The Role of State Negative Affectivity and Generalized Self-Efficacy," Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 397-405, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9450.00307
- M. S. Seo, J. H. Kim, "Effect of Workplace Bullying, Job Satisfaction and Self-Esteem on Turnover Intention in Clinical Nurses," Journal of the Korean society for Wellness, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 105-115, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2017.05.12.2.105
- C. Baruch-Feldman, E. Brondolo, D. B. Dayan, J. Schwarth, "Sources of social support and burnout job satisfaction, and career commitment among primary school teacher," Educational Psychology, Vol. 11, pp. 59-76, 2002.
- Y. K. Kwag, "Effect of Self-Esteem, Ego-Resilience, Social Support on Nursing Student's Adjustment to College," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 2178-2186, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178
- G. W. Lee, I. O. Moon, S. K. Park, "The Relationship between Social Support, College Adjustment and Academic Adjustment among Nursing Students," The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education. Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 15-27, 2013.
- M. S. Park, C. U. Oh, H. K. Kang, "Relationships among Bullying, Ego-Resilience, Perceived Stress, and College Adaptation in Nursing Students," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 73-81, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.073
- B. M. Gillespie, W. Chaboyer, M. Wallis, P. Grimbeek, "Resilience in the operating room: developing and testing of a resilience model," Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 427-438, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04340.x
- M. Earvolino-Ramirez, "Resilience: A Concept Analysis," Nursing Forum, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 73-82, 2007.
- O. Atsushi, K. Hitoshi, N. Shinji, N. Motoyuki, "Construct validity of the Adolescent resilience Scale," Psychological Report, Vol. 93, pp. 1217-1222, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.2003.93.3f.1217
- D. Olweus, Bully/Victim questionnaire for students. Department of Psychology, University of Bergen, 1989.
- H. Leymann, "Mobbing and psychological terror at workplaces," Violence and Victims, Vol. 5, pp. 119-126, 1990.
- J. Y. Hwang, A study on the Influence of Mobbing at Work on Attitude of the Members, Unpublished master dissertation, Seoul, University of Seogang, 2005
- J. H. Block, A. M. Kremen, "IQ and ego- resiliency: conceptual and empirical connections separateness," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 70, No. 2, pp. 349-361, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- O. Atsushi, K. Hitoshi, N. Shinji, N. Motoyuki, "Development and validation of an Adolescent resilience Scale," Japanese Journal of Counseling Science, Vol. 35, pp. 57-65, 2002.
- E. O. Jeong, A Validation of Psychological Resilience Scale, Unpublished master dissertation, Jeonbuk, University of Jeonbuk, 2006.
- S. Cobb, "Social support as a moderator of life stress," Psychosom. Me, Vol. 38, pp. 300-314, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197609000-00003
- J. L. Price, C. W. Mueller, "A Causal Model of Turnover for Nurses," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 543-565, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/255574
- K. A. Son, J. W. Ko, "The moderating effect of social support on the relations between teachers' job stress and job satisfaction, and organizational commitment," The Journal of Educational Administration, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 73-94, 2007.
- E. I. Jeong, Y. H. Park, "Development and Validation of the College Adjustment Scale," Korean Journal Of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 69-92, 2009.
- J. Y. Park, Y. S. Kang, "A Qualitative Study for Experience of College Bullying," The Korean Psychological Association Conference, No. 8, pp. 341, 2016.
- H. J. Kim, D. Park, "The effects of workplace bullying on turnover intention in hospital nurses," Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 241-252, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.241
- J. A Park, E. K. Lee, "Influence of ego -resilience and stress coping styles on college adaptation in nursing students," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 267-276, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267