- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Impact of Teacher's Occupational Stress on Their Sense of Happiness and Enthusiasm for Teaching Profession in Early Childhood Education Institutions
유아교육기관에서의 직무 스트레스가 유아교사의 행복감과 교직에 대한 열정에 미치는 영향
- Cho, An-Na (Department of Early Childhood Education, Kangnam University)
- 조안나 (강남대학교 유아교육과)
- Received : 2017.11.26
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
The study aimed to investigate the impact of teacher's occupational stress on their sense of happiness and enthusiasm for teaching profession in early childhood institutions according to their occupational stress. For these purposes, data were collected from 321 early childhood teachers in Gyeonggi province. The results of this study were as follows: First, there was a statistically significant difference in sense of happiness of early childhood teachers according to occupational stress level. Second, there was no statistically significant difference in overall enthusiasm for teaching profession according to occupational stress level, but significant differences among sub-factors. Third, as a result of examining the effects of occupational stress on sense of happiness and enthusiasm for teaching profession for early childhood teachers, all of them had a statistically significant effect, except overall enthusiasm. It is expected that this study will help to provide basic data for preparing a happy classroom environment.
Supported by : Kangnam University
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2015-2019 The First Child Policy Basic Plan to Change the Life of the Child and the Future of the Republic of Korea. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2015.
- S. Y. Kim. Analysis of the Structure among Early Childhood Education Teachers' Sense of Happiness, Enthusiasm for the Teaching Profession, Satisfaction with Their Jobs, Efficacy, and Interactions with Young Children. Gwangju Women's University, Ph.D. thesis, 2014.
- Child Rearing Policy Institute, "For a Happy Young Children, Now When I Look Into the Happiness of the Teacher," Child Care Policy Brief, Vol. 59, pp. 1-4, 2017.
- K. Y. Kim, The relationship between the stress of kindergarten teacher's duties and communication with child's parent based on demographic transition, Sungkyunkwan University, M.A. thesis, 2017.
- Spodek, B. (1985). Teaching in the early years(3rd ed). NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- H. I. Hwang, J. H. Tak, & S. H. Hong, "Impact of Resilience, Teacher Efficacy, and Job Satisfaction on Happiness in Early Childhood Teachers," Early Childhood Education Research & Review, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 411-432, 2013.
- Sachs, J. (2012). Introduction. In J. Helliwell, R. Layard, & J. Sachs(Eds.), World happiness report(pp. 1-9). UN: CIFAR.
- J. H. Ahn, Relationship between job satisfaction and sense of happiness of child teacher and teacher-child interaction. Soongsil University, M.A. thesis, 2014.
- Y. J. Choi, K. M. Lee, “Development of the Educational Program to Enhance Happiness for the Educators in Early Childhood,” Early Childhood Education Research & Review, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 395-416, 2012.
- Lyubomirsky, S. (2010). The how of happiness: a practical guide to getting the life you want. London: Piatkus.
- E. S. Kim, J, A. Park, S. J. Kim, Survey on the improvement of childcare center installation standards, Child Rearing Policy Institute, 2010.
- K. H. Koo, S. S. Kim, "The Influence of Early Childhood Teachers' Happiness on Creativity and Their Teaching Efficacy," Early Childhood Education Research & Review, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 287-304, 2013.
- H. J. Choi, H. P. Lee, "The Effect of Happiness and Self-leadership of an Infant Teacher on Teaching Immersion," J of Children's Literature and Education, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 515-537, 2015.
- H. K. Kwak, A Study of the Relationship between Happiness, Self-Identity and Teacher's Efficacy Belief, Teacher-Young Children Interaction, Jeonbook University, Ph.D. thesis, 2015.
- Y. J. Lee, "A Study on Effect of the Subjective Well-being on Job Stress," Asia Study, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 251-290, 2010.
- H. Y. Hwang, Y. S. Song, H, Y, Jung, S. K, Kindergarten teacher's actual workbook. Kyonggi-Do; Jungmisa, 2014.
- C. H. Sim, Study on the full-day kindergarten teachers' perception for public kindergarten organizational climate and their occupational stress, Korea National University of Education, M.A. thesis, 2008.
- I. S. Lee, The relationship between job stress of public kindergarten teachers and their job satisfaction. Chungnam National University. Ph, D. thesis, 2010.
- M. S. Lee, A study on the relationship between public kindergarten teacher's job satisfaction, job stress and teaching efficacy. The University of Suwon, M.A. thesis, 2012.
- J. H. Lee, H. J. Ahn, "The Effect of Teaching Immersion and Job Stress on the Sense of Happiness of Kindergarten Teachers," J of Future Early Childhhod Education, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 427-447, 2016. https://doi.org/10.22155/JFECE.23.4.427.447
- S. K. Lee, M. H. Lee, K. E. Kim, "Effects of Early Childhood Teachers' Job Stress on Happiness and Organizational Commitment," J of Children's Literature and Education, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 661-680, 2014.
- Moracco, J., & McFadden, H. (1980). Counselors role in reducing teacher stress. Unpublised research report, Auburn University
- Reilly, E., Dhingra, K., & Boduszek, D. (2014). Teachers' self-efficacy beliefs, self-esteem, and job stress as determinants. The International Journal of Educational Management, 28(4), 365-378. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEM-04-2013-0053
- A. Ohm, H. J. Kim, "The Teacher-Child Interaction according to The Full-day Kindergarten Teacher Occupational Stress." Early Childhood Education Research & Review, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 75-100, 2015.
- Spodek, B., Saracho, O. N., & Davis, M. D. (1985). Foundation of early childhood education. Englwood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall Inc.
- J. M. Cho, Teacher recognized infant-teacher relationship and the infant-teacher and infant-peer interaction in plays. Ewha woman' suniversity, M.A. thesis, 2009.
- Y. A. Kwon, S. B. Lee, "Effect of Teacher Efficacy and Teacher Child Interactions on the Child's Social Skill," Child Education, No. 26, pp. 115-129, 2017.
- Day, C. (2004). A passion for teaching. London: Routledge Falmer.
- K. S. Min, "The effect of social support of kindergarten and preschool teachers on job stress, job satisfaction, burnout and turnover intention," J of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 313-333, 2011.
- H. J. Kim, "A study of reality shock and teacher efficacy among inservice teachers: Focus on early childhood and elementary school teachers," Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 151-173, 2012
- Whitebook, M., & Sakai, L. (2003). Turn over begets turnover: An examination of job and occupational instability among child care center staff. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 18, 273-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-2006(03)00040-1
- B. R. Park, "A comparative study on passion for teaching, teacher motivation, and a sense of teacher efficacy between pre-service kindergarten teachers and beginning teachers." Kwangju Women's University, M.A. thesis, 2014
- Malmerg, L. E. (2006). Goal-orientation and teacher motivation among teacher applicants and student teachers. Teaching and Teaching Education, 22, 58-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2005.07.005
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2003). On assimilating identities to the self: A self-determination theory perspective on internalization and integrity within cultures. In M. R. Leary & J. P. Tengney(Eds.), Handbook of self and identity (pp. 255-273). New York: Guilford Press.
- Vallerand, R. J., Blanchard, C., Mageau, G. A., Koestner, R., Ratella, C. F., Leonard, M., & Gagne, M. (2003). Les, Passion de lame: On obsessive and harmonious passion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 85, 756-767. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.116
- N. V. Peal, Passion makes difference, 21th Books Publishing, 2007.
- S. M. Lee, The ecological variables research on the effect of teacher's happiness in child care center. J of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 11, pp. 423-430, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.11.423
- Clark, E. H. (1980). An analysis of occupational stress factor as perceived by public school teachers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Auburn university.
- D'Arienzo, R. V., Moracco, J. C., & Krajewski, R. J. (1982). Stress in teaching, Washington, DC: University Press of America.
- H. J. Lee. A study on occupational stress experienced by beginning teachers at early childhood education institutions. Chung-Ang University, M.A. thesis, 2001.
- Argyle, M. (2005). The psychology of happiness. 서울: 학지사.
- Y. O. Choi, Analysis of the relationship between social problem solving ability, job stress and happiness by teachers' multi dimensional perfectionism Kyungsung University, Ph.D. thesis, 2011.
- M. S. Kim, J. H. Lee. Structural relationship between social support, job stress, and child care teachers' burnout. J of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 10, pp. 281-294, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.10.281
- E. K. Lee, J. H. Park, Converged Study of Influencing Factors on Occupational Stress in Workers, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 3, pp. 15-24, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.015