- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
General and abdominal obesity and risk of cardiometabolic factors in the community dwelling women
순환대사위험요인의 관련성에서 비만지표인자인 허리둘레와 체질량지수의 비교
- Shin, Sohee (University of Ulsan) ;
- So, Wi-Young (Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Kim, Hyun Soo (Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2017.11.26
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
The aim of this study was to investigate the cardiometabolic risk factors (CRF) of community dwelling women based on a combination of body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference (WC). This cross-sectional study was based on 1,447 subjects between 30 and 60 years of age. Subjects were categorized into 4 groups by BMI and WC [group 1, BMI<
Supported by : Seoul National University of Science and Technology
- World Health Organization, "Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation on Obesity." Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 1998
- National Institutes of Health, "Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults-the evidence report." Obes Res, Vol. 6, pp. 51S-209S, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1998.tb00690.x
- G. A. Colditz, W. C. Willett, A Rotnitzky, J. E. Manson, "Weight gain as a risk factor for clinical diabetes mellitus in women." Ann Intern Med, Vol. 122, No. 7, pp. 481-486, 1995. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-122-7-199504010-00001
- E. E. Calle, M. J. Thun, J. M. Petrelli, C. Rodriguez, W. Heath, "Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of U.S. adults." N Engl J Med., Vol. 341, No. 15, pp. 1097-1105, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199910073411501
- C. J. Lavie, R. V. Milani, H. O. Ventura, "The "obesity paradox" in coronary heart disease." Am J Cardiol, Vol. 106, No. 11, pp. 1673, 2010.
- WHO Expert Consultation, "Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies." Lancet, Vol. 363, No. 9403, pp. 157-163, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3
- C. J. Lavie, A, De Schutter, D. Patel, S. M. Artham, R. V. Milani, "Body composition and coronary heart disease mortality-an obesity or a lean paradox?" Mayo Clinic Proc, Vol. 86, No. 9, pp. 857-864, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4065/mcp.2011.0092
- C. J. Lavie, R. V. Milani, H. O. Ventura, "Obesity and cardiovascular disease: risk factor, paradox, and impact of weight loss." J Am Coll Cardiol, Vol. 53, No. 21, pp. 1925-1932, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2008.12.068
- A. R. Folsom, L. H. Kushi, K. E. Anderson, P. J. Olson, J. E., Hong, C. P, T. A. Sellers, D. Lazovich, R. J. Prineas, "Associations of general and abdominal obesity with multiple health outcomes in older women: the Iowa Women's Health Study." Arch Intern Med, Vol. 160, No. 14, pp. 2117-2128, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.160.14.2117
- Kissebah, A. H., Vydelingum, N., Murray, R., Evans, D. J., Hartz, A. J., Kalkhoff, R. K., Adams, P. W., "Relation of body fat distribution to metabolic complications of obesity." J Clin Endocrin Metab, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 254-260, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-54-2-254
- T. Coutinho, K. Goel, D. Correa de Sa, R. E. Carter, D. O. Hodge, C. Kragelund, A. M. Kanaya, M. Zeller, J. S. Park, L. Kober, C. Torp-Pedersen, Y. Cottin, L. Lorgis, S. H. Lee, K. Y. Kim, R. Thomas, V. L. Roger, V. K. Somers, F. Lopez-Jimenez, "Combining body mass index with measures of central obesity in the assessment of mortality in subjects with coronary disease: role of "normal weight central obesity," J Am Coll Cardiol, Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 553-560, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2012.10.035
- S. Zhu, Z. Wang, S. Heshka, M. Heo, M. S. Faith, S. B. Heymsfield, "Waist circumference and obesity-associated risk factors among whites in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: clinical action thresholds." AmJ Clin Nutr, Vol. 76, No. 4, pp. 743-749, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.4.743
- C. Palacios, C. M. Manue, M. Guzman, A. P. Ortiz, A. Ayala, A. Suarez, "Association between adiposity indices and cardiometabolic risk factors among adults living in Puerto Rico," Public Health Nutrition: Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 1714-1723, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980011000796
- S. Czernichow, A. P. Kengne, R. R. Huxley, G. D. Batty, B. D. Galan, S. Zoungas, M. Marre, M. Woodward, B. Neal, 'Comparison of waist-to-hip ratio and other obesity indices as predictors of cardiovascular disease risk in people with type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study from ADVANCE. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. Vol. 18, No. 2: pp. 312-319, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/HJR.0b013e32833c1aa3
- S. H. Shin, J. M. Kim, S. C. Sung, H. S. Kim, "Prevalence and Associated Characteristics of Metabolically Healthy Obese Phenotypes in a Community Dwelling Population." J Obesity & Metab Synd, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 130-137, 2017. https://doi.org/10.7570/jomes.2017.26.2.130
- Korean Society for the Study of Obesity, "Obesity Treatment Guidelines 2012," Korean Society for the Study of Obesity, 2012.
- National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection E, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III), "Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report." Circulation, Vol. 106, No. 25, pp. 3143-3421, 2002.
- J. Y. Kim, S. H. Han, B. M. Yang, "Implication of High-Body-Fat Percentage on Cardiometabolic Risk in Middle-Aged, Healthy, Normal-Weight Adults." Obesity, Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 1571-1577, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.20020
- A. Romero-Corral, V. K. Somers, J. Sierra-Johnson, Y. Korenfeld, S. Boarin, J. Korinek, M. D. Jensen, G. Parati, F. Lopez-Jimenez, "Normal weight obesity: a risk factor for cardiometabolic dysregulation and cardiovascular mortality." Eur Heart J, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 737-746, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehp487
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Korea Health Statistics 2014: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-2)" Sejong, Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2015.
- Y. L. Lym, S. W. Hwang, H. J. Shim, E. H. Oh, Y. S. Chang, B. L. Cho, "Prevalence and Risk Factors of the Metabolic Syndrome as Defined by NCEP-ATP III" J Korean Acad Fam Med, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 135-143, 2003.
- F. Conus, D. B. Allison, R. Rabasa-Lhoret, M. St-Onge, D. H. St-Pierre, A. Tremblay-Lebeau, E. T. Poehlman, "Metabolic and behavioral characteristics of metabolically obese but normal-weight women." J Clin Endocrinol Metab, Vol. 89, No. 10, pp. 5013-5020, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2004-0265
- D. C. Lee, X. Sui, T. S. Church, I. M. Lee, S. N. Blair, "Associations of cardiorespiratory fitness and obesity with risks of impaired fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes in men." Diabetes care, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 257-262, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-1377
- J. H. Kim, "Prevalence and Related Factors of Metabolically Obese, Normal-Weight Adolescents" Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 93-101. 2011.
- M. Fogelholm, K. Kukkonen-Harjula, "Does physical activity prevent weight gain-a systematic review." Obes Rev, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 95-111, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-789x.2000.00016.x
- J. W. Twisk, H. C. Kemper, W. van Mechelen, "Tracking of activity and fitness and the relationship with cardiovascular disease risk factors." Med Sci Sports Exerc, Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 1455-1461. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200008000-00014
- X. Sui, M. J. LaMonte, J. N. Laditka, J. W. Hardin, N. Chase, S. P. Hooker, S. N. Blair, "Cardiorespiratory fitness and adiposity as mortality predictors in older adults." JAMA, Vol. 298, No. 21, pp. 2507-2516, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.298.21.2507
- F. Hosseinpanah, M. Barzin, P. Mirmiran, P. Azizi, "Effect of changes in waist circumference on metabolic syndrome over a 6.6-year follow-up in Tehran," European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 64, 879-886, European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 64, pp. 879-886, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2010.79
- V. van Harmelen, A. Dicker, M. Ryden, H. Hauner, F. Lonnqvist, E. Naslund, "Increased lipolysis and decreased leptin production by human omental as compared with subcutaneous preadipocytes," Diabetes Vol. 51, pp. 2029-2036, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.51.7.2029
- R. B. Darren, T. Kasia, M. E. Karen, E. C. Leah, E. S. Ahmed, "Comparison of body mass index and waist circumference as predictors of cardiometabolic health in a population of young Canadian adults." Diabetol Metab Syndr, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 28, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-5996-2-28
- J. B. Meigs, P. W. Wilson, C. S. Fox, R. S. Vasan, D. M. Nathan, L. M. Sullivan, R. B. D'Agostino, "Body mass index, metabolic syndrome, and risk of type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular disease." J Clin Endocrinol Metab, Vol. 91, No. 8, pp. 2906-2912, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-0594
- R. Rubenoff, "Sarcopenic obesity: the confluence of two epidemics." Obes Res, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 887-888, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2004.107
- N. B. Ruderman, S. H. Schneider, P. Berchtold, "The "metabolically-obese," normal-weight individual." Am J Clin Nutr, Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 1617-1621, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/34.8.1617
- M. P. Gill, U. Ricardo, B. Elizabeth, J. B. Christopher, E. F. Astrid, "Weight, shape, and mortality risk in older persons: elevated waist-hip ratio, not high body mass index, is associated with a greater risk of death." AJCN, Vol. 84, No. 2, pp. 449-460, 2006.
- S. Tanaka, K. Togashi, T. Rankinen, L. Perusse, A. S. Leon, D. C. Rao, J. S. Skinner, J. H. Wilmore, J. P. Despres, C. Bouchard, "Sex differences in the relationships of abdominal fat to cardiovascular disease risk among normal weight white subjects." Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 320-323, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802545