- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Maltreatment By Parents On Teenagers' Depression: Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Social Withdrawal and Cell Phone Dependency
부모로부터의 학대피해경험이 청소년의 우울에 미치는 영향 -사회적 위축과 휴대폰 의존도의 매개효과-
- Kim, Ok Soo (School of Social Welfare, Yonsei University)
- 김옥수 (연세대학교 사회복지전문대학원)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
The purpose of this study was to verify the impact of maltreatment by parents on adolescents' depression, furthermore, confirm the mediating effects of social withdrawal and cell phone dependency in South Korea. The data were analyzed with frequency, correlation and structural equation modeling(SEM) by SPSS 18.0 and AMOS 20.0. Data was employed from the wave 5 in 2014 of Korean Children and Youth Panel Study (KCYPS), and analyzed data of 1,969 fourth grade elementary school students. The result showed: First, maltreatment experience from parents has a statistically significant positive effect on adolescent's depression. Second, maltreatment experience from parents has positive effects on both social withdrawal and mobile phone dependency. Third, both social withdrawal and mobile phone dependency have positive effects on adolescent's depression. Fourth, both social withdrawal and mobile phone dependency have significant mediating roles in the relationship between maltreatment experience from parents and adolescent's depression.
Maltreatment by parents;Social withdrawal;Cell phone dependency;Adolescents' depression;KYCPS
- D. K. Moon, Y. H. Kim, "A Meta-Regression Analysis on Related triggering Variables of Adolescents' Suicidal Ideation," Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 945-964, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.945
- Y. J. Chun, "Path Model for the Family and School Environment Affecting Adolescent Suicidal Ideation Mediated by Depression," Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 151-167, 2001.
- E. K. Mościcki, "Identification of Suicide Risk Factors Using Epidemiologic Studies," Psychiatric Clinics of North America, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 499-517, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0193-953X(05)70327-0
- Y. J. Lee, "The Effects of Suicidal Risk Factors on Suicidal Behavior and the Moderating Effect of Ego Resiliency," The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 659-673, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.659
- Y. H. Lim, K. J. Oh, "Attribution Style of Depressed Child," Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 69-76, 1989.
- S. O. Kang, A Study on the Effect of Juvenile's Depression, Social Support and Stress on Suicide Thinking, Master's thesis, Kangnam University, 2011.
- M. A. Reinecke, A. Simons, "Vulnerability to Depression among Adolescents: Implications for Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment," Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 166-176, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1077-7229(05)80022-7
- J. E. Dumas, W. J. Nilsen, Abnormal Child and Adolescent Psychology. Pearson College Division, 2003.
- I. J. Chung, J. Y. Lee, "The Pathways from Child Abuse and School Bullying to Depression and Aggression in Adolescence : With a Special Focus on Differences in Gender," Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 217-242. 2012.
- P. H. Kim, H. M. Yoon, "Mediating Effect of Shame in the Relationship of Child Abuse and Children's Depression and Aggression," Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 601-620. 2014.
- H. M. Kim, Y. M. Kim, "The Effect of Family Violence Witness and Child Abuse Experience on Youth's Maladaptive Behavior," Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 31-60, 2014.
- I. J. Chung, "Developmental Pathways from Child Abuse to Peer Rejection," Korean Journal of Child Studies, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 79-95, 2008.
- Y. K. Kim, O. K. Lee, "The Effects of Peer Relations on Psychosocial Adjustments and Behavior Characteristics in Children and Young Adolescents," The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 65-82. 2001.
- K. H. Rubin, X. Chen, P. McDougall, A. Bowker, J. McKinnon, "The Waterloo Longitudinal Project: Predicting Internalizing and Externalizing Problems in Adolescence," Development and Psychopathology, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 751-764, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400006829
- M. Boivin, S. Hymel, W. M. Bukowski, "The Roles of Social Withdrawal, Peer Rejection, and Victimization by Peers in Predicting Loneliness and Depressed Mood in Childhood," Development and Psychopathology, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 765-785, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400006830
- K. H. Rubin, R. S. Mills, "The Many Faces of Social Isolation in Childhood," Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 916-924, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.6.916
- E. Gullone, T. H. Ollendick, N. J. King, “The Role of Attachment Representation in the Relationship between Depressive Symptomatology and Social Withdrawal in Middle Childhood,” Journal of Child and Family Studies, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 263-277, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-006-9034-0
- S. M. Jun, "Longitudinal Relationship between Overuse/Addictive Use of Mobile Phones and Depression in Adolescents: Adapting the Autoregressive Cross-Lagged Model and Multiple Group Analysis across Gender," Family and environment Research, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 301-312, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2014.026
- S. Y. Kim, C. R. Nho, Y. K. Son, "The Effects of Adolescents' Mobile Phone Dependency on Depression and Aggression: the Mediating Effects of Parenting Attitudes and Peer Relationships," Korean Journal of Social Studies, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 251-277, 2016.
- J. Y. Park, G. A. Kim, C. H. Hong, "The Relationships between Adolescents' Cellular Phone Use Motivation, Peer Relationships, Emotional Factors and Cellular Phone Addictive Use," Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 151-169. 2012. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2012.31.1.008
- J. Roelofs, C. Meesters, M. Huurne, L. Bamelis, P. Muris, "On the Links between Attachment Style, Parental Rearing Behaviors, and Internalizing and Externalizing Problems in Non-Clinical Children," Journal of Child and family Studies, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 331-344, 2006.
- J. Bowlby, "The Nature of the Child's Tie to His Mother,"The International Journal of Psycho-Analysis, Vol. 39, pp. 350-373, 1958.
- J. Jeon, "Attachment Diffrences in College Students' Psychological and Physical Wellbeing: Mediating Effects of Self-Esteem, Loneliness, and Life Satisfaction," Family and Environment Research, Vol. 43, No. 9, pp. 85-96, 2005.
- S. Messer, A. Gross, "Childhood Depression and Family Interaction: A Naturalistic Observation Study," Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 77-88, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp2401_10
- P. Cole, N. Kaslow, Interactional and Cognitive Strategies for Affect Regulation: Developmental Perspective on Childhood Depression, NY: Guilford Press, 1988.
- D. Bell-Dolan, N. Reaven, & L. Peterson, "Depression and Social Functioning: A Multidimensional Study of the Linkages," Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 306-315, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp2203_1
- Y. Lim, K. Oh, "Attribution Style of Depressed Child," Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 69-76, 1989.
- M. Reinecke, & A. Simons, "Vulnerability to Depression among Adolescents: Implications for Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment," Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 166-176, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1077-7229(05)80022-7
- J. Lee, T. Chin, & J. Cho, "A Study on the Anxiety, Depression, Repression and Coping Strategy of Delinquent Adolescents," Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 493-500, 1998.
- J. Y. Kim, Y. E. Jang, J. Y. Seo, & J. M. Park, "A Study on the Effect of School Violence to Adolescents Suicidal Behaviors: Mediating Effect of in Depression," Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 83-110, 2014.
- Y. J. Cho, H. W. Hyun, & M. H. Hyun, "The Mediating Effect of Social Withdrawal on the Relationship between Negative Parenting Attitudes and Victimization in Adolescents," Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 59-81, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14816/sky.2015.26.2.59
- Y. H. Jang, & J. H. Song, "Influence of the Experience of the Childhood Abuse on the Self-Esteem and Suicidal Thought in the Adolescence Period," Institute of Policy Science, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 80-104, 2011.
- G. I. Kim, J. H. Kim & H. T. Won, "Symptom Checklist-90-Revision in Psychiatric Outpatients, Mental Health Research, Vol. 1, pp. 150-168, 1983.
- M. Y. Huh, A Study for the Development of an Inventory for Parenting Behavior Perceived by Adolescents, Ph.D thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2000.
- S. W. Kim, The effect of Social Support on Abused Children's Adjustment, Master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2003.
- S. H. Kim, K. Y. Kim, 1998, "Development of Behavior Problem Scale for Children and Adolescence," Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 155-166, 1998.
- S.H. Lee, H.S. Kim & E. Y. Na, A Study on the Effects of the Mobile Phone Use of Youth, Seoul: Samsung Life Public Welfare Foundation Social Mental Health Research, 2002.
- B. R. Bae, Amos 21.0 Structural Equation Modeling, Seoul: Chungram, 2014.
- K. S. Paek, "A Convergence Study the Association between Addictive Smart Phone Use, Dry Eye Syndrome, upper Extremity Pain and Depression among College Students," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 61-69, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.1.061
- J. S. No, G. S. Lee, B. A. Kim, "Psychosocial factors of physically abused children and non-abused children," The Journal of Play Therapy, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 115-126, 2003.
- J. Belsky, "The Determinants of Parenting: A Process Model," Child Development, pp. 83-96, 1984.
- P. H. Jung, C. R. Nho, K. S. Lee, M. H. Sung, J. D. Song, "Mediating Effects of Depression and Aggression on the Association between Child Abuse and Neglect and Cell Phone Addiction," Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare, Vol. 47, pp. 93-123, 2014.
- O. S. Kim, H. Y. Choi, "Impact of Maltreatment Experience from Parents on Adolescents' X-rated Media Preoccupation: the Mediating Effect of Mobile Phone Dependency and Aggression," The Korean Society of School Social Work, Vol. 37, pp. 1-23, 2017.