- Volume 9 Issue 1
The purpose of this study was to identify the influence the depression and social maladjustment in adolescence of multi_cultural families. The participants were 211 adolescents in multicultural family. The data were collected using a self-report questionnaire. Data analysis was performed using hierarchical regression with the SPSS 23.0 program. The stress, career maturity and authoritarian caring attitude had a significant impact on depression(F=13.77, p<.001). The stress, authoritarian caring attitude, negative impact and resilience, career maturity, cultural diversity attitude, open communication, parents' support showed positive impact on social maladaptation(F=13.77, p<.001). This study contributes an integrated understanding of adolescents in multicultural family. And the findings was provided basic data for the development of intervention program on depression and social maladjustment for adolescents in multicultural family.
Depression;Social maladaptation;Adolescents in multicultural family;Career maturity;Authoritarian caring attitude
- Ministry of Gender Equality, "Statistics of multicultural family," 2015.
- Ministry of Education, "Statistics of Foreigner students," 2016.
- Y. J. Nam, S. A. Lee. "comparative study on the mother's attachment, self-concept, daily stress, depression of children from multicultural and typical Korean families," Korean Journal of Community Living science, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 357-367, 2009.
- B. J. Jeon, "The effects of social capital and acculturation stress on school adaptation ofadolescents of multicultural family," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 11, pp. 29-38, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.11.029
- S. H. Lee, Y. C. Park, J. Hwang, J. J. Im, D. H. Ahn. "Mental health of intermarried immigrant women and their children in South Korea." Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health., Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 77-85, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-012-9747-7
- Y. L. Song, J. Kim, "Economic hardship, parent-adolescent communication and depression in adolescence: A longitudinal approach," Korean Journal of Youth Studies. Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 131-135, 2013.
- D. H. Seol, Y. T. Kim, H. M. Kim, H. S. Yoon, H. Lee, K. T. Yim, "Foreign wives' life in Korea : focusing on the policy of welfare and health," Ministry of Health & Welfare, 2005.
- S. G. Kim, "The psycho-social adaptation among children of multicultural families," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 247-272, 2011.
- S. Y. Oh, " A study on the reasons and solutions of internet addiction in multicultural family," The Korean Association for Local Government & Administration Studies, Vol. 27, No. 13, pp. 165-189, 2013. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2013.27.3.165
- A. Kowal, D.Pritchard, "Psychological characteristics of children who suffer from headache: A research note," Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol. 31, pp. 637-649, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1990.tb00803.x
- J. H. Park, J. S. Nam, "The Language development and psychosocial adjustment of multicultural children," Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 129-152, 2010.
- B. S. Lee, J. S. Kim, K. S. Kim, "Factors that affect the subjective health status of adolescents in multicultural families" Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 64-75, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.64 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.64
- W. S. Park, "The relationship between career exploration behavior and dysfunctional career thoughts, its related variables," Career Education Research. Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 23-39, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10903-012-9747-7.
- S. I. Shin,"The validity and reliability of the Korean version of the general health questionnaire: KGHQ-20 & KGHQ-30," The Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 210-23, 2002.
- S. M. Jang, D. S. Lim, B. K. Song, "Guidance of career maturity scale for adolescents. Research reports," RR 91-5-1, Seoul: Institute for Korean Education Development. 1991.
- S. Y. Ju, Y. H. Lee, “Development and validation of the resilience scale for adolescents(RSA),” The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 103-139, 2011.
- Y. M. Choi, M. H. Lee, "A study on the risk and protective factors influencing career maturity in adolescents," The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 171-187, 2011.
- S. H. Lee, S. Y. Lee, H. H. Jung, H. S. Park, "Parent-child relationships and adolescence' psychosocial adaptation," Samsung life insurance social mental health research center. Research Report, 97-7, 1997.
- H. Barnes, D. H. Olson,"Parent-adolescent communication and the circumflex model," Child Development. Vol. 56, pp. 438-447, 1982.
- J. W. Park, "Scales for Social Support Development," Yonsei University, Ph.D. thesis, 1985.
- J. M. Hwang, I. S. Kim, M. J. Lee, H. Choi, D. J. Lee, "Research on multiracial and multicultural orientation of Korean society. Survey Report. Seoul, Korea," Korean Women's Development Institute, Report No: All Humanities and social economy Research Association as a cooperative research 07-19-02, 2007.
- T. Ariunsanaa, S. K. Yoo, "Factors affecting school adjustment of Mongolian children and adolescents Living in Korea: With a special focus on a multicultural characteristics and social supports," Korean journal of family social work. Vol. 32, pp. 177-203, 2011.
Supported by : Namseoul University