- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Impact of Competition on Physician Behavior Clinics - Focused on Acute Otitis Media in Children -
의원급 의료기관 간 경쟁이 진료행태에 미치는 영향 - 유·소아 급성중이염 중심 융합연구 -
- Lee, Chae-Kyung (Dep. of Public Health, Gachon University Graduate School) ;
- Suh, Won-Sik (Dep. of Healthcare Management, Gachon University)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
This study analyzes the impact of competitions clinics on the total treatment cost and anti-biotics prescription rate. The result of implementing the basic statistics, correlations, and regression analysis by facilitating the evaluation data by Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service in 2015 for acute otitis media in children is shown as follows. First, there is a significant difference for each si-gun-gu for the competition index between total treatment cost and clinics, but there is almost no significant difference for the anti-biotics prescription rate. Second, competition in clinics has statistically important impact on the total examination cost And, third, competition in clinics has no statistically important impact on the anti-biotics prescription rate. There is a need for additional studies on re-examination rate, treatment cost per visit and so forth in order to clarify other factors of competition for medical institutions impacting on the physician behavior in the future studies.
Clinic;HHI;Physician behavior;convergence factor;Total medical expenses;Antibiotics prescription rate
- G. D. Park, "Variation of prescription patterns for acute respiratory infection patients : based on health insurance claims data of the clinics," Seoul National Ph. D thesis, 2003.
- H. M. Cho, J. H. Park, D. S. Kim, "A Qualitative Study of Antibiotic Prescribing Decision of Physicians and Strategy of Antibiotics Prescription," Korean Journal of Health Promotion, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 203-213, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2016.16.3.203
- A Survey of Hospital Management, Korea, Medical Association, 2015.
- Hyeung-Keun Park, "Effects of Hospital Competition on the Average length of stay and Cost per inpatient day," Seoul National University Ph. D thesis, pp. 1-9. 2005.
- J. K. Yeom, “The Critical Factors on Impro vement of Medical institution Competitiveness,” Journal of Korea Society of Hospital Management, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 3-6, 2006.
- Y. H. Oh, "Problem with and Policy Agenda for Over Supply of Major Medical Equipments in Korea," Health and welfare policy forum. Vol. 202, pp. 62-73, 2013.
- J. W. Lee, "Complex relationship between Hospital management performance and the degree of the regional competition (Focusing on the Regional Public Hospital)," Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 405-413, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.405
- J. Y. Lim, “The Effect of Doctor's Payment Method on Practice Behavior,” Health Policy and Management, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 48-74, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2004.14.4.048
- C. B. Kim, "Test of physician-induced demand in Korea," Dept. of Health Administration Graduate School Yonsei University Ph.D. thesis, 2002.
- C. I. Cho., J. Y. Lim., & S. Y. Lee, "The Effect of the Degree of Competition of the Hospital Market Regions on Clinic's Rate of Antibiotics Prescription," Korea Development Institue, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 129-155, 2008
- "Infant and Young children Acute Otitis Media evaluation materials of the antibiotics prescription rate," Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service, 2015
- Y. J. Choi, "A study on the physician-induced demand aided by a performance-related pay system for health care providers," Deppartment of Social Welfare Graduate School, Chung-Ang University, 2014.
- J. S. Kim, W. S. Shu, "Changes in Providers' Behavior after the Reviewer Unification of Auto Insurance Medical Benefit Claims," Health Policy and Management, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 30-38, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2017.27.1.30
- Robison, J. C, & H. S. Luft, "The Impact of Hospital Markert Structure on Patient Volume, Average Length of the Stay, and the Cost of Care," Journal of Health Economics, Vol. 4, pp. 333-356, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(85)90012-8
- Zwanziger, Jack, "Antitrust Considerations and Hospital Markets," Jounal of Health Economics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 457-464, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(90)90026-Y
- Noether M., "Competition among hospital," J Health Econ, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 259-84, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(88)90028-8
- "Guideline for Otitis Media," The Korean Otologic Society, 2014.
- J. Sakong, & E. J. Kwon, "A Study of the Effect of Hospital Competition on the Behavior of the Health Care Suppliers," The Korean Journal of Health Economics and Policy, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 1-33, 2011.
- Y. J. KIM, "Clinics competitive impact of physician behavior : clinics in Seoul," Korea, Department of Public Enterprise Policy Graduate School, Seoul National University, 2012
- H. Y. Park, S. M. Kown, & H. Y. Jung, "Competition in the Hospital Service Market and Its Impact on Hospital Behavior in Korea," Health Policy and Management, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 1-20, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2008.18.1.001
- E. J. Kwon, "A study in the effect of hospital competition on the behavior of health care suppliers," Graduate School HanYang University, 2010
- D. E. Farely, "US Department of Health of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Services Research and Health Care Technology Assessment, 1985.
- N. S. Kim, S. R. Jang, & S. M. Jang, "Factors Influencing Antibiotics Prescribing of Primary Health Physicians in Acute Upper Respiratory Infections," Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 2005
- G. S. Uh, "Antibiotics prescription pattern of family Practitioners for respiratory tract infection," Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, Vol. 21, No. 7, pp. 229-244, 2000.
- Korea Medicine Times, pp. 19, 2015.