- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Marriage Stewardship and the Role and Status of Social Development Network in Singapore
결혼 책임주의와 싱가포르 Social Development Network의 역할과 위상
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
This paper focuses on how Singapore has adopted the 'Marriage Promotion Policy' for resolving the low birthrate and how it has been using the Social Development Network (SDN) to cope with the problem of low fertility. Social Development Network is an organization that shows Singapore's national stewardship to marriage, and has developed from the beginning to the social phenomenon of increasing number of highly educated women and decreasing fertility. The predecessor of Social Development Network is 'Social Development Unit' (SDU), absorbed the 'Social Development Service' (SDS) that was launched later, and reborn as Social Development Network in 2009. At its inception, Social Development Network has been recruiting and organizing its own memberships without the help of commercial marriage agencies, and since 2006 has been dedicated to delegating dating and matchmaking services to private companies and supporting projects. The purpose of this paper using literature analysis is to analyze the status and role of Social Development Network from the theoretical point of view of marital stewardship to the present, and to suggest meaningful implications for Korea which has the same social experience.
birth promotion;Social Development Network;stewardship;marriage matchmaking agency;low birth rate
- M. H. Kim, "Solutions for Low Birth Rates Problems and between Japan and Singapore with Implications for South Korea," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities and Sociology, Vol. 10, 2017.
- M. L. Shanley, Just Marriage, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- R B. Saltman, O. Ferroussier-Davis, "The Concept of Stewardship in Health Policy," Bulletin of the World Health Organization, Vol. 78, No. 6, pp. 732-739, 2000.
- L. Donaldson, "For Positive Management Theories While Retaining Science: Reply to Ghoshal". Academy of Management Learning and Education, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 109-113, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMLE.2005.16132594
- H. A. Simon, "Organizations and Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 5, pp. 25-44, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.5.2.25
- L. Donaldson, J. H. Davis, "Stewardship Theory or Agency Theory: CEO Governance and Shareholder Returns," Australian Journal of Management, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 49-64, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/031289629101600103
- The World Health Report 2000, "Health Systems: Improving Performance," World Health Organization, 2000.
- M. Saner, J. Wilson, "Stewardship, Good Governance and Ethics," Institute on Governance Policy Brief, No. 19, 2003.
- P. Travis, D. Egger, P. Davies, A. Mechbal, "Towards Better Stewardship: Concepts and Critical Issues," Evidence and Information for Policy, Geneva: World Health Organization, pp. 1-19. 2002.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, "History and Recent Issues of Singapore Population Policy," Global Social Policy Brief, February, Vol. 5, 2016.
- Tessa Wong, "SDU's Role As Qupid Comes to an End," The Straits Times, November, 2006.
- Bob Ng, "Get Hitched. And Don't Stop at One," The Straits Times, August, 1983.
- The Straits Times, "Lop-sided Birth Rate Drop, 80pc Nature and 20pc Nurture, and Talent for the Future," Singapore, August, 1983.
- The Straits Times, "Seven Hundred People Benefit from Social Development Unit," October, 1984.
- Singapore Government, "Social Development Unit is Established, History SG," Retrieved from http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/history/events/3c520e6c-dc34-4cef-84f5-1d73062c411b
- Social Development Unit, Annual Report, 2003.
- The Straits Times, "Most Singles Intend to Marry, but Six in 10 Not Dating Seriously: Marriage and Parenthood Survey in 2016, July 8, 2017.
- Social Development Network, https://www.sdn.sg
- Ministry of Social and Family Development, https://www.msf.gov.sg/policies/Marriages/Pages/default.aspx
- Joongboo Ilbo, "The Marriage Team for Population Growth Was Newly Established in Yangpyeong County," August 3, 2016.