- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study on the Effect of Tote Bag Weight on Muscle Thickness and Muscle Tone of Upper Trunk Muscles in Young Adult Women
토트백의 무게가 젊은 성인여성의 상부 체간근육의 근두께와 근긴장도에 미치는 영향에 관한 융합연구
- Cho, Gyu-Dong (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Division of Health Science, Baekseok University) ;
- Shim, Jae-Hun (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Division of Health Science, Baekseok University) ;
- Choung, Sung-Dae (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Division of Health Science, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
The aim of this study was to determine the effects of tote bag weight on muscle thickness of pectroalis minor and tone of upper trapezius in young adult women. 27 women habitual of carrying tote bags. The subjects were measured the tone of the upper trapezius muscle and the thickness of the pectoralis minor muscle while carrying tote bags with the weight of 0%, 5%, 7.5% and 10% of the subjects' body weight. As the weight load increased, the upper trapezius muscle demonstrated significantly increased muscle tone (p<.05). additionally, a significantly increased thickness in the pectoralis minor muscle was noted(p<.05). These findings suggest that the habit of carrying a tote bag on the wrist may be disadvantageous to improving the two muscles in young women. Therefore, this study recommend women who likely used tote bag decrease the weight of the bag.
- J. S. Ahn, Effects of asymmetric load of shoulder bag on trunk and pelvis movement patterns of normal adult during gait. Graduate School of Health and Environment, Yonsei University, Master thesis, 2006.
- J. H. Shim, G. H. Yu, Y. J. Cohi et al., "Effects of Different Carrying Bag Position on the Muscle Activation of Neck and Lumbar During Walking in Young Women," Archives of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 19-30, 2016.
- C. G. Kim, D. M. shin, "Kinematic Analysis of Book Bag Weight on Gait Cycle and Posture of Youth," Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 3, pp. 175-85, 1995.
- Motmans R, Tomlow S, Vissers D, "Trunk muscle activity in different modes of carrying schoolbags," Ergonomics, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 127-38, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140130500435066
- Whittfield JK, Legg SJ, Hedderley DI, "The weight and use of schoolbags in New Zealand secondary schools," Ergonomics, Vol. 44, No. 9, pp. 819-24, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140130117881
- M. H. Kim, C. H. Yi, O. Y. Kwon, et al., "Changes in neck muscle electromyography and forward head posture of children when carrying school bags," Ergonomics, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 890-901, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140130701852747
- Macias BR, Murthy G, Chambers H, et al., "Asymmetric loads and pain associated with backpack carrying by children," Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 512-7, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/BPO.0b013e31817d8143
- Sahrmann S, Diagnosis and treatment of movement impairment syndromes, St. Louis, Mosby, 2010.
- J. Y. Choi, J. H. Jang, J. S. Oh, "Effects of Passive Scapular Alignment on Electromyographic Activity of Trapezius in People With Shortness of Pectoralis Minor Muscle," Physical Therapy Korea, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 12-9, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2012.19.2.012
- Janda V, Muscles and motor control in cervicogenic disorders: assessment and management. Physical therapy of the cervical and thoracic spine, NewYork, Churchill Livingstone, 1994.
- C. S. Kim, M. G. Kim, "Mechanical properties and physical fitness of trunk muscles using Myoton," Korean journal of physical education, Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 633-42, 2016.
- Pascoe DD, Pascoe DE, Wang YT, et al., "Influence of carrying book bags on gait cycle and posture of youths," Ergonomics, Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 631-41, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/001401397187928
- S. C. Cho, "Effects of Backpack Weight on Elementary School Boy's Walking," Korean Society of Sports Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 303-10, 2001.
- J. H. Shim, S. D. Choung, S. E. Kang, "The Convergence Study on the Effects of Three Pelvic Floor Muscle Excercise on Thickness of Pelvic Floor Muscle and Abdominal Muscles" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 105-111. 2016 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.105
- J. H. Shim, J. H. Kang "Comparison of Trunk Muscles Thickness in Three Different Bridge Exercises by Ultrasound Fusion Imaging" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 123-130. 2016 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.123
- H. S. Yang, S. H. Bae, "Effects of Shortening of Pectoralis Minor Muscle on Muscle Activity of Trapezius and Pectoralis Major Muscles," Journal of Korean Society of Integrative Medicine, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 85-92, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2013.1.4.085
- Cools AM, Declercq GA, Cambier DC et al., "Trapezius activity and intramuscular balance during isokinetic exercise in overhead athletes with impingement symptoms," Scand J Med Sci Sports, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 25-33, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2006.00570.x
- Ettema GJ, Huijing PA, "Effects of distribution of muscle fiber length on active length-force characteristics of rat gastrocnemis medialis," Anat Rec, Vol. 239, No. 4, pp. 414-20, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.1092390408
- Hebert LJ, Moffet H, McFadyen BJ et al., "Scapular behavior in shoulder impingement syndrome," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol. 83, No. 1, pp. 60-9, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2002.27471
- Paula ML, Thomas MC, "Alterations in shoulder kinematics and associated muscle activity in people with symptoms of shoulder impingement," Physical Therapy. Vol. 80, No. 3, pp. 276-91, 2000.