- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The roles of growth mindset and grit in relation to hope and self-directed learning
희망과 자기주도학습과의 관계에서 성장 마인드셋과 그릿의 역할
- Lee, Chang Seek (Dept. of Child and Adolescent Welfare, Hanseo University) ;
- Jang, Ha Young (Dept. of Lifelong Education, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
Recently, according to the arrival of the knowledge-based society, the self-directed learning is necessary for the workers. Especially, the person with strong hopes showed strong self-directed learning, and the psychological characteristics and beliefs such as growth mindset and Grit would play a mediating role. The purpose of this study was to investigate the mediating effects of growth mindset and grit in relation to hope and self-directed learning. The subjects of this study were selected from than 32 workplace in cities of Seoul, Daejeon, Chungbuk, Chungnam, and consisted of 368 workers selected by purposive sampling. And data analysis was performed by frequency analysis, correlation analysis, and structural equation modeling. The major results were as follow. First, there were positively significant correlations among hope, growth mindset, grit, self-directed learning. Second, as a result of SEM, hope showed direct impact on self-directed learning. Third, hope had indirect effect through growth mindset and grit. Lastly, the limitations of this study and policy implications to increase self-directed learning of workers through hope, growth mindset and grit.
Self-directed learning;Hope;Growth mindset;Grit;Worker
- J. H. Song, "An Automated Assessment based Programming Education System for Self-Directed Learning," Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Soongsil University, 2011.
- C. H. Min, "A Study on the Relationship Between Teachers' English Learning Motivational Strategies and Learners' English Self-Directed Learning Strategies in Private Institution," Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Korea University, 2016.
- S. E. Kim, "Analysis on the Related Variables of Self-Directed Learning," Journal of Secretarial Studies, Vol. 15, No. 2 pp. 5-29, 2006.
- W. Y. Kim, & B. K. Seo, "Educational Environment and Infrastructure for Self-Motivated Learning," Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, Vol. 31, No. 7, pp. 31-38, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_PD.2015.31.7.31
- Y. H. Kim, "Relationship of Self Efficacy, Self-Directedness and Practice Satisfaction to Clinical Practice Education in Nursing Students," The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 307-315, 2009.
- J. H. Park, E. H. Lee, & S. H. Bae, "Factors Influencing Learning Achievement of Nursing Students in E-learning," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 182-190, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.182
- A. K. Yang, H. J. Cho, "An Analysis on the Influence of Self-Regulated Learning upon Academic Achievement," The Journal of Korean Educational Forum, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 61-82, 2010.
- Y. R. Yoo, M. H. Kang, "A Structural Relationship among Influence of Others, Self-Directed Learning Readiness, Engineering Self-Efficacy and Career Attitude Maturity for Female Engineering Students," Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 225-247, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2014.15.2.009
- Y. H. Song, "Relationships among Self-directed Learning Ability, Collective efficacy, Knowledge Sharing, Satisfaction in a University Study Circle," Journal of Science Education, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 179-209, 2011.
- D. H. Park, A. J. Hong, "The Effects of Feedback on Organizational Effectiveness and the Mediating Effects of New Employees' Self-Directed Learning Ability," Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 99-121, 2015.
- D. H. Ahn, Y. R. Kim, "Influencing effects of collaborative learning and self-directed learning on life satisfaction in university students," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 22, No. 7, pp. 1-30, 2015.
- Y. J. Kim, C. S. Lee, "The Mediating Effect of Hope between Stress and Suicidal Ideation of Adolescents," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 539-547, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.539
- H. I. Cho, "The Effects of Hope and Study Time on Academic Achievement of University Students," Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 349-365, 2007.
- S. Y. Park, "Relationships of depression and positive emotions with hope and the mediating and moderating role of family support for people in low-income," Korean Journal of Family Social Work, Vol. No. 40, pp. 189-214, 2013.
- H. S. Shin, "The Effect of Marital Relationship on Preparedness for the Old Age: Mediating Effects of Hope and Growth Mindset," Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Hanseo University, 2017.
- D. Y. Kim, "Difference between School Adaptation, Hope, and Leaning Motivation Based on Mindset in Adolescent," Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Yeungnam University, 2017.
- J. L. Lee, "An Analysis of Structural Relationship among Locus of Control, Mindset, Grit, and Academic Achievement," Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Andong National University, 2016.
- C. S. Dweck, Self-Theories: their role in motivation, personality, and development, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Routledge Press, 2008.
- J. R. Lee, D. H. Kwon, “An Analysis of Structural Relationship among Locus of Control, Mindset, Grit, and Academic Achievement,” Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 23, No. 11, pp. 245-264, 2016.
- J. S. Hyun, C. J. Park, "Learning Effects of Divide-and-Combine Principles and State Models on Contradiction Problem Solving and Growth Mindset," The Knowledge Management Society of Korea, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 19-46, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2013.14.4.002
- A. L. Duckworth, C. Peterson, M. D. Matthews, & D. R. Kelly, "Grit: Perseverance and passion for long-term goals," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 92, pp. 1087-1101, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687
- H. Y. Kim, "A Study on the Validation of the Korean Grit Scale," Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Gyeongin National University of Education, 2015.
- A. L. Duckworth, T. A. Kirby, & E. Tsukayama, & H. Berstein, & K. A. Ericsson, & "Deliberate Practice Spells Success: Why Grittier Competitors Triumph at the National Spelling Bee," Social Psychological and Personality Science, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 174-181, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1948550610385872
- C. R. Snyder, C. Harris, & J. R. Anderson & S. A. Holleran, & L. M. Irving, & S. T. Sigmon, & L. Yoshinobu, & J. Gibb, & C. Langelle, & P. Harney, "The will and the ways: Development and validation of an individual-differences measure of hope," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 60, pp. 570-585, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- Y. H. Choi, D. G. Lee, & H. K. Lee, "Validation of the Korean Version of Snyder's Dispositional Hope Scale," Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 1-16, 2008.
- C. S. Dweck, Mindset: The new psychology of success, NY: Ballantine Books, 2006.
- Lee, C. S, Park, S. U, & Hwang, Y. K, "The Structural Relationship between Mother's Parenting Stress and Child's Well-being: The Mediating Effects of Mother's Growth Mindset and Hope," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 36, pp., 2016. Indian Society for Education and Environment, 9, No. 36, pp. 1-6, 2016.
- L. M. Guglielmino, "Development of the self-directed learning readiness scake," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Georgia, 1977.
- J. J. Kim, K. S. Kim, "Development of Self-Directed Readiness Measurement Tool for Elementary School Teachers," Journal of Research in Social Education, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 1-23, 1996.
- J. H. Park, "A Study on Self-Leadership of Adult Learners in Business," Unpublished Master's dissertation, Korea University, 1998.
- J. P. Woo, Structural equation model concept and understanding, Seoul: Hannare Press, 2012.