- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Adult Attachment, Attribution of Responsibility, and Self-esteem on Psychological Violence from Intimate Partner in Women
성인여성의 성인애착, 책임귀인, 자아존중감이 친밀한 관계의 심리적 폭력에 미치는 영향
- Kwak, Sung-Jung (College of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Woo, Chung-Hee (College of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Kim, Nam-Yi (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of adult attachment, responsibility attribution, and self - esteem of adult women on psychological violence in intimate relationships. For the study, we analyzed the data of 137 women collected using self - report questionnaires. The results of the study showed that the higher the level of Age(over 36 years old), love experience(more than 4 times) and attribution of responsibility, the higher the victim of psychological violence. The higher the age (over 36 years old), the love experience(more than 4 times) and adult attachment, the higher the harms of psychological violence. On the other hand, self-esteem showed no effect. Therefore, efforts should be made to reduce the psychological violence of adult women by developing intervention strategies for secure adult attachment enhancement and hostile attribution reduction.
Convergence;Adult women;Adult Attachment;Responsibility Attribution;Self-esteem;Psychological Intimate violence
- Straus, M. A., Hamby, S, L., Boney-McCoy, S., & Sugarman, D. B., "The revised conflict tactics scale(CTS2)" Journal of Family Issues. Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 283-316, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/019251396017003001
- J. Y. Son, "Focused on Husband's conflict tactics and wife abuse behavios; A Study about the property of the revised conflict tacties scales(CTS2)on Korean couples," Journal of family relations, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 51-87, 1997.
- Y. J. Hwang, The relationship between adult attachment and interpersonal competence: The mediating effect of self-compassion, The ewha University of Korea, master's thesis, 2016.
- S. Y. Oh, Y. H. Kim, "The effects of parental violence, dating relationship satisfaction & self-esteem on dating violence among college student victims," Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1-27, 2007.
- White, Jacquelyn W. & Mary P. Koss, "Courtship violence: Incidence in a national sample of higher education students," Violence and victims, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 247, 1991.
- S. Y. Kim, The influence of family violence experience on dating violence of college students, The Honam University of Korea, master;s thesis, 2010.
- Brennan, K. A., Clark C. L., Shaver P. R., Self-report measurement of adult attachment: An integrative overview, Attachment theory and close relationships, New-York: Guilford press. 1998.
- Makepeace, J., "Social factors and victim offender difference in courtship violence," Family Relation, pp. 87-91, 1987.
- K. S. Lee, D. W. Hahn, "Effects of Attributions on Marital Satisfaction and Divorce Intention," The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 41-64, 2001.
- O. B. Je, B. S. Kim, C. H. Choi, "The mediating effects of psychological violence and hope on the relationships between adult attachment and marital satisfaction," Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 453-473, 2016.
- Kasian, M. & Painter, S. L., "Frequency and severity of psychological abuse in a dating population," Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 350-364, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/088626092007003005
- Stets, J. E. "Verbal and physical aggression in marriage". Journal of Marriage and the Family, 501-514, 1990.
- M. S. Kim, (The) relationship between romantic relationship behavior and satisfaction level depending on the combination of adult attachment types. Hongik University, Ph.D. thesis, 2008.
- Mayseless, O., "Adult attachment and courtship violence," Family Relations, pp. 21-28, 1991.
- O. H. Lee, The Effects of Psychological Violence by Husbands on the Depression and Psychological Well-being of Wives : Mediating Effect of Dysfunctional Thoughts. Deagu University, Ph.D. thesis, 2011.
- O. H. Lee & J. G. Park, "The mediating effects of cognitive variables on psychological symptoms due to the experiences of psychological violence," J. of Korea Phychology: women, vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 445-460, 2011. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2011.16.4.002
- Fraley, R. C., Waller, N. G., & Brennan, K. A. "An item response theory analysis of self-report measures of adult attachment," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 350, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2060
- S. H. Kim, Adaptation of the Experiences in close relationships-revised scale into Korean: Confirmatory factor analysis and item response theory approaches, Korea university, master's thesis, 2004.
- Fincham, F. D., & Bradbury, T. N., "Assessing attributions in marriage: The relationship attribution measure," Journal of personality and Social Pshcology. Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 457-468, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- S. J. An. Neuroticism and marital saticfaction: the mediation effect of responsibility attributional style and problem-solving behavior[master's thesis].[Seoul]: The Catholic University of Korea;1997.58p.
- Y. H. Lee, The Relations between attributional style, life events, event attribution, hopelessness and depression, Korea University, master's thesis, 1993.
- Karakurt, G., Keiley, M., and Posada, G., "Intimate relationship aggression in college couplesL Family-oforigin violence, egalitarian attitude, attachment security" Journal of Family Violence, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 561-575, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10896-013-9526-9
- B. I. Seo, The effects of college students' attachment styles, psychological domination, and gender role stereotypes on dating violence, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies of Korea, master's thesis, 2016.
- N. R. Kim, The effect of attachment on conflict management strategy in college students' romantic relationship: mediated by negative mood regulation, The ewha University of Korea, master's thesis, 2002.
- D. Y. Oh, According to adult attachment styles and gender differences in responsibility attributions, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies of Korea, master's thesis, 2011.
- S. B. Woo, M. N. Chong, N. Y. Sung, C. H. Kang, E. J. Yang, "Satisfaction in ronmantic relationships: The mediation effect of responsibility attribution," Korean Journal of Counseling And Psychotherapy, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 879-895, 2009.
- Makin-Byrd, K., & Azar, S. T., "Beliefs and attributions of partner violence perpetrators; The physical and psychological violence of adolescent males," Violence and Victioms, Vol. 26, pp. 177-190, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.26.2.177
- Moore, T. M., Eisler, R. M., & Franchina, J. J., "Causal attributions and affective responses to provocative female partner behavior by abusive and nonabusive males," Journal of Family Violence, Vol. 15, pp. 69-80, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007501520734
- J. H. Lee, Psychological symptoms of date violence. Sungshin Women's University, master's thesis, 2006.
- Rosenberg M., Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- O' Keefe, M., "Factors Mediating the link between withnessing interpersonal violence a dating violence", Journal of Family violence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 39-57, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022860700118
- Warren, J. & Lanning, W., "Sex Role Beliefs, Control, and Social Isolation of Battered Women" J of Family Violence, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013669822232
- Bird, G. W., Stith, S. M., & Schladale, J., "Psychological resources, coping strategies, and negotiation styles as discriminators of violence in dating relationships," Family Relations, pp. 45-50, 1991
- Makepeace, J. M., "Courtship violence among college students," Family relations, pp. 97-102. 1981.
- Christopher, F. S., Madura, M., & Weaver, L., "Premarital sexual aggressors: A multivariate analysis of social, relational, and individual variables," Journal of Marriage and the Family, pp. 56-69, 1998.
- Lloyd, S. A., & Emery, B. C., "Physically aggressive conflict in romantic relationships," Conflict in personal relationships, pp. 27-46, 1994.
- Stets, J. E., & Henderson, D. A., "Contextual factors surrounding conflict resolution while dating: Results from a national study" Family Relations, pp. 29-36, 1991.
- W. Y. Cho, K. H. Kim, "The effects of childhood experience of domestic violence on dating violence moderating effects of adult attachment style," Korean journal of family social work, Vol. 49, pp. 71-96, 2015.