- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Adult Attachment, Attribution of Responsibility, and Self-esteem on Psychological Violence from Intimate Partner in Women
성인여성의 성인애착, 책임귀인, 자아존중감이 친밀한 관계의 심리적 폭력에 미치는 영향
- Kwak, Sung-Jung (College of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Woo, Chung-Hee (College of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Kim, Nam-Yi (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of adult attachment, responsibility attribution, and self - esteem of adult women on psychological violence in intimate relationships. For the study, we analyzed the data of 137 women collected using self - report questionnaires. The results of the study showed that the higher the level of Age(over 36 years old), love experience(more than 4 times) and attribution of responsibility, the higher the victim of psychological violence. The higher the age (over 36 years old), the love experience(more than 4 times) and adult attachment, the higher the harms of psychological violence. On the other hand, self-esteem showed no effect. Therefore, efforts should be made to reduce the psychological violence of adult women by developing intervention strategies for secure adult attachment enhancement and hostile attribution reduction.
- Straus, M. A., Hamby, S, L., Boney-McCoy, S., & Sugarman, D. B., "The revised conflict tactics scale(CTS2)" Journal of Family Issues. Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 283-316, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/019251396017003001
- J. Y. Son, "Focused on Husband's conflict tactics and wife abuse behavios; A Study about the property of the revised conflict tacties scales(CTS2)on Korean couples," Journal of family relations, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 51-87, 1997.
- Y. J. Hwang, The relationship between adult attachment and interpersonal competence: The mediating effect of self-compassion, The ewha University of Korea, master's thesis, 2016.
- S. Y. Oh, Y. H. Kim, "The effects of parental violence, dating relationship satisfaction & self-esteem on dating violence among college student victims," Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1-27, 2007.
- White, Jacquelyn W. & Mary P. Koss, "Courtship violence: Incidence in a national sample of higher education students," Violence and victims, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 247, 1991.
- S. Y. Kim, The influence of family violence experience on dating violence of college students, The Honam University of Korea, master;s thesis, 2010.
- Brennan, K. A., Clark C. L., Shaver P. R., Self-report measurement of adult attachment: An integrative overview, Attachment theory and close relationships, New-York: Guilford press. 1998.
- Makepeace, J., "Social factors and victim offender difference in courtship violence," Family Relation, pp. 87-91, 1987.
- K. S. Lee, D. W. Hahn, "Effects of Attributions on Marital Satisfaction and Divorce Intention," The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 41-64, 2001.
- O. B. Je, B. S. Kim, C. H. Choi, "The mediating effects of psychological violence and hope on the relationships between adult attachment and marital satisfaction," Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 453-473, 2016.
- Kasian, M. & Painter, S. L., "Frequency and severity of psychological abuse in a dating population," Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 350-364, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/088626092007003005
- Stets, J. E. "Verbal and physical aggression in marriage". Journal of Marriage and the Family, 501-514, 1990.
- M. S. Kim, (The) relationship between romantic relationship behavior and satisfaction level depending on the combination of adult attachment types. Hongik University, Ph.D. thesis, 2008.
- Mayseless, O., "Adult attachment and courtship violence," Family Relations, pp. 21-28, 1991.
- O. H. Lee, The Effects of Psychological Violence by Husbands on the Depression and Psychological Well-being of Wives : Mediating Effect of Dysfunctional Thoughts. Deagu University, Ph.D. thesis, 2011.
- O. H. Lee & J. G. Park, "The mediating effects of cognitive variables on psychological symptoms due to the experiences of psychological violence," J. of Korea Phychology: women, vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 445-460, 2011. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2011.16.4.002
- Fraley, R. C., Waller, N. G., & Brennan, K. A. "An item response theory analysis of self-report measures of adult attachment," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 350, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- S. H. Kim, Adaptation of the Experiences in close relationships-revised scale into Korean: Confirmatory factor analysis and item response theory approaches, Korea university, master's thesis, 2004.
- Fincham, F. D., & Bradbury, T. N., "Assessing attributions in marriage: The relationship attribution measure," Journal of personality and Social Pshcology. Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 457-468, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- S. J. An. Neuroticism and marital saticfaction: the mediation effect of responsibility attributional style and problem-solving behavior[master's thesis].[Seoul]: The Catholic University of Korea;1997.58p.
- Y. H. Lee, The Relations between attributional style, life events, event attribution, hopelessness and depression, Korea University, master's thesis, 1993.
- Karakurt, G., Keiley, M., and Posada, G., "Intimate relationship aggression in college couplesL Family-oforigin violence, egalitarian attitude, attachment security" Journal of Family Violence, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 561-575, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10896-013-9526-9
- B. I. Seo, The effects of college students' attachment styles, psychological domination, and gender role stereotypes on dating violence, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies of Korea, master's thesis, 2016.
- N. R. Kim, The effect of attachment on conflict management strategy in college students' romantic relationship: mediated by negative mood regulation, The ewha University of Korea, master's thesis, 2002.
- D. Y. Oh, According to adult attachment styles and gender differences in responsibility attributions, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies of Korea, master's thesis, 2011.
- S. B. Woo, M. N. Chong, N. Y. Sung, C. H. Kang, E. J. Yang, "Satisfaction in ronmantic relationships: The mediation effect of responsibility attribution," Korean Journal of Counseling And Psychotherapy, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 879-895, 2009.
- Makin-Byrd, K., & Azar, S. T., "Beliefs and attributions of partner violence perpetrators; The physical and psychological violence of adolescent males," Violence and Victioms, Vol. 26, pp. 177-190, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.26.2.177
- Moore, T. M., Eisler, R. M., & Franchina, J. J., "Causal attributions and affective responses to provocative female partner behavior by abusive and nonabusive males," Journal of Family Violence, Vol. 15, pp. 69-80, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007501520734
- J. H. Lee, Psychological symptoms of date violence. Sungshin Women's University, master's thesis, 2006.
- Rosenberg M., Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- O' Keefe, M., "Factors Mediating the link between withnessing interpersonal violence a dating violence", Journal of Family violence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 39-57, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022860700118
- Warren, J. & Lanning, W., "Sex Role Beliefs, Control, and Social Isolation of Battered Women" J of Family Violence, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013669822232
- Bird, G. W., Stith, S. M., & Schladale, J., "Psychological resources, coping strategies, and negotiation styles as discriminators of violence in dating relationships," Family Relations, pp. 45-50, 1991
- Makepeace, J. M., "Courtship violence among college students," Family relations, pp. 97-102. 1981.
- Christopher, F. S., Madura, M., & Weaver, L., "Premarital sexual aggressors: A multivariate analysis of social, relational, and individual variables," Journal of Marriage and the Family, pp. 56-69, 1998.
- Lloyd, S. A., & Emery, B. C., "Physically aggressive conflict in romantic relationships," Conflict in personal relationships, pp. 27-46, 1994.
- Stets, J. E., & Henderson, D. A., "Contextual factors surrounding conflict resolution while dating: Results from a national study" Family Relations, pp. 29-36, 1991.
- W. Y. Cho, K. H. Kim, "The effects of childhood experience of domestic violence on dating violence moderating effects of adult attachment style," Korean journal of family social work, Vol. 49, pp. 71-96, 2015.