- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study on the Structural Relationships among Emotional Labor and Work Performance of Information Security Professionals
정보보안 종사자의 감정노동과 업무성과 간의 구조적 관계에 대한 융합연구
- Lee, Hang (Department of Global Economics, Gachon University) ;
- Kim, Joon-Hwan (Department of Paideia, Sungkyul University)
- Received : 2017.11.13
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
The purpose of this study was to analyze the structural relationship among emotional labor and work performance of information security professionals. To this end, we conducted a questionnaire survey on 176 security workers and analyzed the collected data using structural equation modeling (SEM). It was found that the frequency of emotional display was positively related to deep acting and surface acting. Also, the intensity and variety of emotional display was positively related to deep acting and surface acting. In addition, deep acting had a positive relationship with work performance and surface acting had an significantly positive relationship with work performance. The results of this study are meaningful to understand the influence of the emotional aspect of security workers on work performance. Therefore, the overall findings suggest that the training programs and education for the improvement of emotional labor capacity of deep acting are continuously required.
Emotional Labor;Deep Acting;Surface Acting;Work Performance;Information Security Professionals
- M. N. Shim, "A Study on the Effects of Complication Level of Information Security Professional in the Public Entity on Job Satisfaction and Job Withdrawal Intention," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 387-406, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.9.387
- I. C. Tak, D. H. Kim, J. B. Cha, "A Study of Customer Service Representatives' Emotional Labor on Emotional Dissonance, Job-induced Tension and Turnover Intention," Journal of Korea Service Management Society, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 1-24, 2017.
- J. R. McColl-Kennedy, P. G. Patterson, A. K. Smith, M. K. Brady, "Customer Rage Episodes: Emotions, Expressions and Behaviors," Journal of Retailing, Vol. 85, No. 2, pp. 222-237, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2009.04.002
- J. I. Kim, B. R. Choi, "Convergence Study on Emotional Labor, Stress Response and Turnover Intention of Call-center Worker," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 139-146, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.139
- Fortinet, Threat Landscape Report Q2, 2017.
- M. H. Kang, S. J. Jang, "Convergent relationship between emotional labor, burnout, Job satisfaction and Turnover Intention in the Dental Hygienists," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 8, pp. 95-103, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.8.095
- K. S. Im, H. Y. Kwon, "A Study on Influence of Information Security Stress and Behavioral Intention for Characteristic factors of Information Security Policy Perceived by Employee," The Journal of the Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 243-253, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2016.16.6.243
- B. E. Ashforth, R. H. Humphrey, "Emotional Labor in Service Roles-the Influence of Identity," Academy of Management Review, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 88-115, 1993. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1993.3997508
- A. Rafaeli, R. I. Sutton, "Expression of Emotion as Part of the Work Role," Academy of Management Review, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 23-37, 1987. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1987.4306444
- J. A. Morris, D. C. Feldman, "The Dimensions, Antecedents, and Consequences of Emotional Labor," The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 986-1010, 1996. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1996.9704071861
- J. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, D. W. Shin, J. H. Song, "Effects of Emotional Regulation Processes on Adaptive Selling Behavior and Sales Performance," Asia Marketing Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 71-100, 2014.
- J. H. Kim, H. Lee, "Effects of the Power Distance Orientation of Overseas Salesperson on Emotional Labor and Sales Performance," Journal of International Trade & Commerce, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 605-621, 2017.
- R. H. Gosserand, J. M. Diefendorff, "Emotional Display Rules and Emotional Labor: The Moderating Role of Commitment," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 90, No. 6, 1256-1264, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.6.1256
- A. A. Grandey, "When "the Show Must Go On": Surface Acting and Deep Acting as Determinants of Emotional Exhaustion and Peer-rated Service Delivery," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 86-96, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30040678
- C. M. Brotheridge, A. A. Grandey, "Emotional Labor and Burnout: Comparing Two Perspectives of People Work," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 17-39, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- C. M Brotheridge, R. T. Lee, "Development and validation of the Emotional Labour Scale," Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 76, No. 3, pp. 365-379, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317903769647229
- J. M. Diefendorff, E. M. Richard, "Antecedents and Consequences of Emotional Display Rule Perceptions," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 88, No. 2, pp. 284-294, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.2.284
- A. A. Grandey, "Emotion Regulation in the Workplace: A New way to Conceptualize Emotional Labor," Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 95-110, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8922.214.171.124
- K. Pugliesi, "The Consequences of Emotional Labor: Effects on Work Stress, Job Satisfaction, and Well-being," Motivation and Emotion, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 125-153, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021329112679
- C. M. Brotheridge, R. T. Lee, "Testing a Conservation of Resources Model of the Dynamics of Emotional Labor," Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 57-67, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89126.96.36.199
- P. Totterdell, D. Holman, "Emotion Regulation in Customer Service Roles: Testing a Model of Emotional Labor," Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 1, 55-73, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037//1076-89188.8.131.52
- A. Mehra, M. Kilduff, D. J. Brass, "The Social Network of High and Low Self-monitors: Implications for Workplace Performance," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 121-146, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667127
- J. C. Anderson, D. W. Gerbing, "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-step Approach," Psychological Bulletin. Vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 33-41, 1988.
- J. Nunnally, Psychometric Methods. 3rd Eds. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- J. R. Hair, J. R. Anderson, R. Tatham, W. Black, Multivariate Data Analysis. 6th Ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2006.