- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Postnatal Care Program on Self-efficacy, Self-management, and Glycemic Control in Women with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
임신성 당뇨병 산모를 위한 산후관리 프로그램이 자기효능감, 자가 관리 및 혈당 조절에 미치는 영향
- Jeon, Yeong Kyung (Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Kim, Hyo Jin (Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Yang, Mi Yeon (Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Jung, Da Yeong (Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Yoon, Kum Young (Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Noh, Gie Ok (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2018.08.28
- Accepted : 2018.11.07
- Published : 2018.12.20
Purpose: To examine effects of a postnatal care program on self-efficacy, self-management, and glycemic control in women with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). Methods: A non-equivalent control group non-synchronized quasi-experimental design was used. Sixty-two women with GDM were enrolled and assigned to either an experimental group (n=30) or a control group (n=32). The experimental group received an intervention which was postnatal care program for women with GDM. The postnatal care program for GDM included an individual education with leaflet and mobile web-based video with three times of telephone counseling. Effects of the intervention were measured with self-efficacy, self-management questionnaire, and a 75 g oral glucose tolerance test (75g OGTT). Statistical significance was examined using independent t-test and
- Hunt KJ, Schuller KL. The increasing prevalence of diabetes in pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2007;34(2):173-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ogc.2007.03.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ogc.2007.03.002
- Jang HC, Cho YM, Park KS, Kim SY, Lee HK, Kim MY, et al. Pregnancy outcome in Korean women with gestational diabetes mellitus diagnosed by the carpenter-coustan criteria. Journal of Korean Diabetes Association. 2004;28(2):122-130.
- Ferrara A. Increasing prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus: A public health perspective. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(2):141-146. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-s206 https://doi.org/10.2337/dc06-1142
- American Diabetes Association. Management of diabetes in pregnancy. Diabetes Care. 2017;40(Supplement 1):S114-S119. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-S016 https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-S016
- Kim C, Newton KM, Knopp RH. Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. Diabetes Care. 2002;25(10):1862-1868. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.10.1862
- Shah BR, Lipscombe LL, Feig DS, Lowe JM. Missed opportunities for type 2 diabetes testing following gestational diabetes: A population-based cohort study. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;118(12):1484-1490. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03083.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03083.x
- Cho GJ, An JJ, Choi SJ, Oh SY, Kwon HS, Hong SC, et al. Postpartum glucose testing rates following gestational diabetes mellitus and factors affecting testing non-compliance from four tertiary centers in Korea. Journal of Korean Medical Science. 2015;30(12):1841-1846. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2015.30.12.1841 https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2015.30.12.1841
- Lee SS, Park JS, Lee SY, Oh MA, Choi HJ, Song MY. The 2015 national survey on fertility and family health and welfare. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2016. p. 201-204.
- Lee SY. Prenatal and postnatal care and its policy implications. Health and Welfare Policy Forum. 2016;236:37-50.
- Rosenstock IM. The health belief model and preventive health behavior. Health Education Monographs. 1974;2(4):354-386. https://doi.org/10.1177/109019817400200405 https://doi.org/10.1177/109019817400200405
- Kim SS, Paek KS. Compliance with sick-role behavior and health beliefs according to the level of knowledge in diabetic patients. The Kyungpook University Medical Journal. 1991;32(4):523-533.
- Kim C, McEwen LN, Piette JD, Goewey J, Ferrara A, Walker EA. Risk perception for diabetes among women with histories of gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(9):2281-2286. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-0618 https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-0618
- Kaiser B, Jeannot E, Razurel C. Determinants of health behaviors after gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study in Geneva. Journal of Midwifery & women's health. 2016;61(5):1484-1490. https://doi.org/10.1111/jmwh.12486
- Kaiser B, Razurel C. Determinants of postpartum physical activity, dietary habits and weight loss after gestational diabetes mellitus. Journal of Nursing Management. 2013;21(1):58-69. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12006 https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12006
- Kaiser B, Razurel C, Jeannot E. Impact of health beliefs, social support and self-efficacy on physical activity and dietary habits during the post-partum period after gestational diabetes mellitus: study protocol. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2013;13:133. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-13-133 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-13-133
- Bandura A, Walters RH. Social learning theory. New York, NY: General Learning Press; 1977. 46 p.
- Paek KS. The development of a self-efficacy tool for diabetes millitus patient [dissertation]. Daegu: Kyungpook National University; 1997. 108 p.
- O'Reilly SL. Prevention of diabetes after gestational diabetes: better translation of nutrition and lifestyle messages needed. Healthcare (Basel). 2014;2(4):468-491. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare2040468 https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare2040468
- Kim YO. A hypothesized model for self-care behavior in diabetic patients: Based on stress-coping model [dissertation]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 1997. 170 p.
- Kim HS. Effects of an integrated self-management program on self-management, glycemic control, and maternal identity in women with gestational diabetes mellitus [dissertation]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2011. 158 p.
- Horsager R, Roberts S, Rogers V, Santiago-Munoz P, Worley K, Hoffman B. Williams obstetrics study giude, 24th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. 448 p.
- Kim YM, Kim MY, Kwon YK, Kim HS, Park SH, Chun MS, et al. Effects of a discharge education program using computerized animation video for post-operative colon cancer patients. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2013;16 (1):37-46. https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2013.37 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2013.37
- Jung MY, Hong IK, Noh HY, Park HS, Son JM, Kim JH, et al. Effects of video-based information provision on anxiety and education satisfaction of thyroid cancer patients undergoing radio-iodine treatment. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2015;21(1):11-20. https://doi.org/10.14371/QIH.2017.23.1.43 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2015.21.1.11
- Fishman DJ. Telemedicine-bringing the specialist to the patient. Nursing management. 1997;28(7):30-32.
- Kim YS, Kim HS, Kim YL. Effects of a web-based self-management program on the behavior and blood glucose levels of women with gestational diabetes mellitus. Telemedicine Journal and e-Health: the Official Journal of the American Telemedicine Association. Forthcoming 2018. https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2017.0332
- Ko JM, Lee JK. Effects of a coaching program on comprehensive lifestyle modification for women with gestational diabetes mellitus. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2014;44(6):672-681. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.672 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.672
- Baek ES, Park HJ. Effects of a case management program on self-efficacy, depression and anxiety in pregnant women with gestational diabetes mellitus. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2013;19(2):88-98. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.2.88 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.2.88
- Fahima K, Lee Tae W, Ela R, Gulshanara B, Pronita R, Kim S. The relationships among postpartum fatigue, depressive mood, self-care agency, and self-care action of first-time mothers in Bangladesh. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2018;24(1):49-57. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2018.24.1.49 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2018.24.1.49
- Ahn S. Postpartum Health: A comparison of mothers with preterm infants and mothers with full-term infants. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2002;8(1):7-19.