- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Nonlinear Analytical Model of Unreinforced Masonry Wall using Fiber and Shear Spring Elements
파이버 및 전단 스프링요소를 이용한 비보강 조적벽체의 비선형 해석모델
- Hong, Jeong-Mo (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Shin, Dong-Hyeon (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Hyung-Joon (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2018.07.25
- Accepted : 2018.10.26
- Published : 2018.12.31
This study intends to develop an analytical model of unreinforced masonry(URM) walls for the nonlinear static analysis which has been generally used to evaluate the seismic performance of a building employing URM walls as seismic force-resisting members. The developed model consists of fiber elements used to capture the flexural behavior of an URM wall and a shear spring element implemented to predict its shear response. This paper first explains the configuration of the proposed model and describes how to determine the modeling parameters of fiber and shear spring elements based on the stress-strain curves obtained from existing experimental results of masonry prisms. The proposed model is then verified throughout the comparison of its nonlinear static analysis results with the experimental results of URM walls carried out by other researchers. The proposed model well captures the maximum strength, the initial stiffness, and their resulting load - displacement curves of the URM walls with reasonable resolution. Also, it is demonstrated that the analysis model is capable of predicting the failure modes of the URM walls.
Supported by : 국토교통부
- ASTM E 447-97 (2017) Test Methods for Compressive Strength of Laboratory Constructed Masonry Prisms, American Society for Testing and Materials Pennsylvania, USA.
- Baek, E.L., Kim, J.H., Lee, S.H., Oh, S.H. (2014) Nonlinear Analysis Model Considering Failure Mode of Unreinforced Masonry Wall, J. Korea Inst. Struct. Maint. & Insp., 18(4), pp.33-40. https://doi.org/10.11112/JKSMI.2014.18.4.033
- Belarbi, A., Thomas, T.C. (1994) Constitutive Laws of Concrete in Tension and Reinforcing Bars Stiffened by Concrete, ACI Struct. J., 91(4), pp.465-474.
- Computers and Structures Inc. (CSI) (2006) PERFORM-3D Nonlinear Analysis and Performance Assessment for 3D Structures Users Guide, CSI, Berkeley, CA, p.338.
- FEMA 306 (1998) Evaluation of Earthquake Damaged Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings, ASCE, Washington, D.C. p.270.
- Hendry, A.W., SINHA, B.P., DAVIES, S.R. (2004) Design of Masonry Structures, E&FN SPON, Department of Civil Engineering University of Edingburgh, UK. p.279.
- Heo, J.S., Lee, S.H. (2009) Analytical Study on the Seismic Capacity for Existing Masonry Building in Korea, J. Korea Inst. Struct. Maint. & Insp., 13(6), pp.75-87.
- Hognestad, E. (1951) A Study on Combined Bending And Axial Load in Reinforced Concrete Members, Bulletin Series No.399, University of Illinois, IL. p.134.
- Kim, J.H., Kwon, K.H. (2002) Analysis on In-Plane Behavior of Unreinforced Masonry Walls, J. Earthq. Eng. Soc. Korea, 6(3), pp.1-10. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2002.6.3.001
- Kim, T.W,, Min, C.G., Lee, H.M. (2011) Seismic Performance Evaluation of Unreinforced Masonry Buildings by Using a Three-Step Procedure, J. Earthq. Eng. Soc. Korea, 15(3), pp.55-64. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2011.15.6.055
- Korea Infrastructure Safety & Technology Corporation (2013) Evaluation Method of Seismic Performance on Existing Facilities(Buildings), RD-13-R3-058, Korea Infrastructure Safety & Technology Corporation, Jinju, p.365.
- Kwon, K.H., Kim, M.H., Kim, H.J. (2013) Seismic Performance Assessment of Unreinforced Masonry Wall Buildings Using Incremental Dynamic Analysis, J. Korea Inst. Struct. Maint. & Insp., 17(3), pp.28-39 https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2013.17.3.028
- Kwon, K.H., Yu, H.R. (2009) An Experimental Study on the Physical Property of Lime Mortar in the Building' Masonry, J. Korea Inst. Struct. Maint. & Insp., 13(5), pp.133-141.
- Lee, J.H. (2004) Seismic Capacity and Seismic Retrofitting of low Rise Buildings, Doctoral Thesis, Kwangwoon University, p.339.
- Lee, J.H., Kang, D.E., Yang, W.J., Woo, H.S., Kwan, K.H., Yi, W.H. (2006) Shear Behavior of Unreinforced Masonry Wall with Different Aspect Ratio, Int. J. Concr. Struct. & Mater., 18(1), pp.46-49.
- National Emergency Management Agency (2008) Development of the Seismic Fragility Function for Unreinforced Masonry Buildings, 11-1660000-000199-14, National Emergency Management Agency, Seoul, p.181.
- Oh, S.H., Shin, S.H. (2016) Correlation Analysis of Gyeongju Earthquake Waveform and Structural Damage Scale, J. Archit. Inst. Korea Struct. & Constr., 32(12), pp.33-44. https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_SC.2016.32.12.33
- Rahman, A., ASCE, S.M., Ueda, T. (2014) Experimental Investigation and Numerical Modeling of Peak Shear Stress of Brick Masonry Mortar Joint under Compression, Am. Soc. of Civil Eng., 26(9), pp.1-13.
- Rai, C.D., Goel, S.C. (2007) Seismic Strengthening of Rocking-Critical Masonry Piers, J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 133(10), pp.1445-1452. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:10(1445)
- Shabdin, M., Zargaran, M., Nader, K.A.A. (2018) Experimental Diagonal Tension (shear) Test of Unreinforced Masonry(URM) Walls Strengthened with Textile Reinforced Mortar(TRM), Constr. & Build. Mater., 164, pp.704-715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.12.234
- Yi, W.H., Lee, J.H., Kim, D.E., Yi, W.J. (2004) An Experimental Study of Material Characteristics of Brick Masonry, J. Archi. Inst. Korea Struct. & Constr., 20(12), pp.45-52.
- Yoon, M.H,, Cho, B.H. (2002) A Simple Design Method of Un-reinforced Masonry Wall, J. Korean Archi.-Inter. Digit. Des. Assoc., 2(1), pp.45-51.