- Volume 22 Issue 3
Purpose: This study was conducted to investigate the disaster response competencies of 119 emergency medical technicians (EMTs). Methods: The subjects of this study were 226 119 EMT's at the fire station located in G province. The questionnaire consisted of 5 sub-factors and 29 items for measuring disaster response competencies and the collected data were analyzed using SPSS program. Results: Disaster response competency comprising immediate response, patient triage, patient treatment, patient transport, and collaboration support were 3.48, 3.64, 3.52, 3.64, and 3.16, respectively. Advanced EMTs scored significantly higher in patient triage (p<.001), treatment (p<.001), and transport (p=.022) competency than basic EMTs. Conclusion: In order to improve disaster response competency, it is necessary not only to enhance individual ability but also to continue disaster management training with related organizations.
Disaster response;Competencies;119 Emergency medical technicians
- Karwan KR Wallace WA. Can We manage Natural Hazards?. Public Administration. Review 1984;45(2):177-81.
- Kim KT. A Study on the Model of Intergrated Control of Disaster. Unpublished doctoral's thesis, Inha University, 2002, Incheon, Korea.
- Lee G, Shin SD, Lee SC, Hong SY, Park CB, Kim SJ et al. The standard protocols for 119 emergency medical services providers. 5th ed. Korea: National fire agency. 2012. 323-4.
- Choi JA. Epidemiologic research of disaster and mass casualty incident in Korea. Korea centers for disease control & prevention. Available at: http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/info/CdcKrInfo0301.jsp?menuIds=HOME006-MNU3003-MNU2950-MNU2951&cid=12594, 2011
- Kim SJ. Establishment of local disaster medical system and disaster preparedness system and appropriate operation of medical institutions. Research institute for healthcare policy. 2015;12(4):32-40.
- Korea ministry of government legislation. Available at: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=196226&efYd=20170726#0000, 2017.
- Cha MI, Kim GW, Kim CH, Choa MH, Choi DH, Kim IB et al. A study on the disaster medical response during the Mauna Ocean Resort gymnasium collapse. Clin Exp Emerg Med 2016;33(3):165-74. https://doi.org/10.15441/ceem.15.106
- Chae HK, Kim GB, Park WN, Park JS, Seo JS, Kim IB et al. Experiences of disaster medical response system in a fire at Goyang bus terminal. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2015;26(2):149-58.
- Woo JH, Lee G, Cho JS, Yang HJ, Lim YS, Kim JJ et al. Disaster medical responses to the disaster scene of long-distance on highway-field triage and disaster communication by social media for 106-vehicle chain collision in Yeongjong Grand Bridge. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2015;26(5):449-57.
- Seoul metropolitan government. emergency response training evaluation table. Available at: https://opengov.seoul.go.kr/sanction/11352353, 2017
- Park YJ, Lee EJ. A study on ego-resilience, disaster-experience and core competencies of emergency room nurses. J of Korean Clinical Nursing Research 2015:21(1):67-79. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2015.21.1.67
- Shim HS, Chung YJ. The effect of working shift method of fire brigade on field responding ability. Proceedings of 2017 Spring Annual Conference. J of Korean Institute of Fire Sci & Eng 2017:2017(11):243-4.
- Ko GB, Lee SY, Chae J. A study on improvement of disaster response system in the firefighting organization: focused on landslide case in Sinbukeup, Chuncheon-city. Fire Sci Eng 2012;26(2):17-31. https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2012.26.2.017 https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2012.26.2.017
- Park HY, Kim JS. Factors influencing disaster nursing core competencies of emergency nurses. Applied Nursing Research 2017;37:1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2017.06.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2017.06.004
- Lee YR, Lee MH. A study on disaster preparedness ability in public health center workers. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2016;22(1):96-109. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.1.96 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.1.96
- Kim JH, Choi ES. Core ability in disaster management of 119 paramedics. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2017;21(21):35-48. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2017.21.3.035
- Yoo HJ, Lee JE, Rho JC, Kim GH. Improving the disaster management service in the demander-centered approach. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association 2008;8(5):224-36. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2008.8.5.224 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2008.8.5.224