- Volume 67 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Study on the OCR Setting Using the Voltage Component Considering Application of the SFCL in a Power Distribution System
배전계통에 초전도한류기 적용시 전압요소를 이용한 과전류계전기 정정 연구
- Lim, Seung-Taek ;
- Lim, Sung-Hun
- 임승택 ;
- Received : 2018.07.07
- Accepted : 2018.11.08
- Published : 2018.12.01
In south korea, the government make a plan to generate the 20% of the total electrical power as renewable source like wind generation and solar generation. This plan will accelerate the increase of fault current with power industry's growth. As the increase of fault current, the superconducting fault current limiter (SFCL) has been studied. In case that the SFCL is applied in power system, it can cause the overcurrent relay (OCR)'s trip delay because of the reduced fault current. In this paper, the overcurrent relay with voltage component was suggested to improve the OCR's trip delay caused by the SFCL and compensational constant was introduced to have the trip time similar to the trip time of case without the SFCL. For conforming the effect of the suggested OCR with voltage component, the PSCAD/EMTDC simulation modeling and analysis were conducted. Through the simulation, it was conformed that the trip delay could be improved by using the suggested OCR and compensational constant.
Fault current;Overcurrent relay (OCR);Superconducting fault current limiter (SFCL);Trip delay;Voltage component
- Jun-Hwan Kim, Kang-Wan Lee, "Countermeasure for Increase of Fault Current in Power System", Journal of Electrical World, no. 256, pp. 19-25, Apr. 1998.
- R. C. Dugan, T. E. McDermott, "Distributed generation", IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, vol. 8, Issue: 2, pp. 19-25, Mar/Apr. 2002 https://doi.org/10.1109/2943.985677
- Y. G. Kim, S. E. Noh, J. S. Kim, J. C. Kim, S. H. Lim, and H. R. Kim, "Analysis on Voltage Sag According to Impedance and Application Location of SFCL with Recloser-Recloser Coordination", The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 230-236, 2014 https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.2.230
- H. H. Zeineldin, H. M. Sharaf, D. K. Ibrahim, and E. E. D. A. El-Zahab, "Optimal Protection Coordination for Meshed Distribution Systems With DG Using Dual Setting Directional Over-Current Relays", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 6, no. 2, Jan. 2015
- O. B. Hyun, S. W. Yim, S. D. Yu, S. E. Yang, W. S. Kim, H. R. Kim, G. H. Lee, J. W. Sim, and K. B. Park, "Long-Term Operation and Fault Tests of a 22.9 kV Hybrid SFCL in the KEPCO Test Grid", IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 21, no. 3, Jun. 2011
- S. H. Lim, J. S. Kim, J. F. Moon, J. C. Kim, S. B. Rhee, C. H. Kim, and O. B. Hyun, "Quench and Recovery Characteristics of a SFCL Applied Into Neutral Line of a Three-Phase Power System", IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 19, no. 3, Jun. 2009
- S. Lee, J. Yoon, B. Yang, Y. Moon, B. Lee, "Analysis model development and specification proposal of 154 kV SFCL for the application to a live grid in South Korea", Physica C: Superconductivity and its Applications, vol. 504, pp. 148-152, Sep. 2014,
- J. S. Kim, S. H. Lim, J. C. Kim, "Study on Application Method of Superconducting Fault Current Limiter for Protection Coordination of Protective Devices in a Power Distribution System", IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 22, no. 3, Jun. 2012
- K. A. Saleh, H. H. Zeineldin, A. Al-Hinai, "Optimal Coordination of Directional Overcurrent Relays Using a New Time-Current-Voltage Characteristic", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 30, no. 2, Apr. 2015
- I. K. You, "Study on Application of Superconducting Fault Current Limiter for the Fault Current Reduction and the Protective Coordination in a Loop Power Distribution System", a Master's Thesis, Graduate school of electrical engineering, Soongsil university, 2011.
- K. Y. Shen, J. C. Gu, "Protection coordination analysis of closed-loop distribution system", Proceedings. International Conference on Power System Technology, vol. 2, pp. 702-706, 2002
- IEEE Std C37.230 - IEEE Guide for Protective Relay Applications to Distribution Lines, 2008
- J. S. Kim, "A Study on Components of MI-SFCL considering Transient Characteristics of Circuit Breaker in Power System", a Doctor's Thesis, Graduate school of electrical engineering, Soongsil university, 2013.
Supported by : Korea Electric Power Corporation