- Volume 19 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Case-Based SBAR Communication Training Program on Critical Thinking Disposition, Communication Self-Efficacy and Communication Competence of Nursing Students
사례기반 SBAR 의사소통 교육프로그램이 간호대학생의 비판적 사고성향, 의사소통 자기효능감, 의사소통능력에 미치는 효과
- Park, Su-Jin ;
- Choi, Hyo-Sin
- 박수진 ;
- Received : 2018.08.23
- Accepted : 2018.11.02
- Published : 2018.11.30
The purpose of this study was to analyze the effects of case-based SBAR communication training program on critical thinking ability, communication self-efficacy and communication competence of nursing students. 112 sophomore students majoring in nursing were recruited from one university located in D city, and the data collection commenced on 18 December 2017 and was completed on 4 January 2018. The case-based SBAR communication training program consisted of pre-education, a pre-survey, a three-section program, and a post-survey. A one-group pretest-posttest design was used to collect the data, and frequency and paired t-test were analyzed by SPSS 21.0 program. The rate of satisfaction for interpersonal relationship was 75.0% and satisfaction rate for improvement on their major was 54.5%. Compared with before the program, critical thinking ability and communication competence were significantly improved after completion of the case-based SBAR communication training program (t=-4.237, p<.001; t=-2.734, p=.007). Communication self-efficacy was also improved after the case-based SBAR communication training program, but the difference was not significant. In conclusion, the case-based SBAR communication training program improved critical thinking ability and communication competence.
Communication program;Competency;Critical thinking;Nursing student;Self Efficacy Academia-Industrial
- H. Sveinsdottir, P. Biering, and A. Ramel, "Occupational stress, job satisfaction, and working environment among Icelandic nurses: A cross-sectional questionnaire survey," International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 43, No. 7 pp. 875-889, 2006. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.11.002
- H. S. Lee, J. K. Kim, "Relationship among communication competence, communication types, and organizational commitment in hospital nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 4 pp. 488-496, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.488 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.488
- Y. G. Noh, I. S. Lee, "Effect of Stepwise Communication Education Program using SBAR among Nursing Students : Focusing on Scenarios and Nursing Case-based Role Playing", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 24, No. 2 pp. 115-126, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2018.24.2.115 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2018.24.2.115
- S. Marshall, J. Harrison, B. Flanagan, "The teaching of a structured tool improves the clarity and content of interprofessional clinical communication", BMJ Quality & Safety, Vol. 18, No. 2 pp. 137-140, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2007.025247 https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2007.025247
- C. M. Thomas, E. Bertram, D. Johnson, "The SBAR communication technique: teaching nursing students professional communication skills", Nurse educator, Vol. 34, No. 4 pp. 176-180, 2009. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181aaba54 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181aaba54
- M. Leonard, S. Graham, D. Bonacum, "The human factor: the critical importance of effective teamwork and communication in providing safe care", BMJ Quality & Safety, Vol. 13, No. supp1 pp. i85-i90, 2004. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2004.010033 https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2004.010033
- M. S. Jung, H. J. Kwon, "A Structural equation model on core competence of nursing students", Journal of the Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 2 pp. 256-265, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.256 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.256
- P. S. Jeong, K. J Yeon, L. Y. Ock, "A Study on Hospital Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity". Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, Vol. 5 No. 1 pp. 44-55, 2012.
- E. Simpson, M. D. Courtney, "Critical thinking in nursing education: Literature review", International journal of nursing practice, Vol. 8, No. 2 pp. 89-98, 2002. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-172x.2002.00340.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-172x.2002.00340.x
- G. Boschma, R. Einboden, M. Groening, C. Jackson, M. MacPhee, H, Marshall, K. O. Magee, P. Simpson, P. Tognazzini, C. Haney, H. Croxen, E. Roberts, "Strengthening Communication Education in an Undergraduate Nursing Curriculum", International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, Vol. 7, No. 1 pp. 1-14, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.2043
- K. A. Shin, E. S. Lee, "The Effects of a Communication Training Program on Communication and Interpersonal Relationships of Nursing Students", Journal of the Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 2 pp. 149-158, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.149 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.149
- E. Bong, "Effects of International Relationships and Communication curriculum were utilized group activities on Interpersonal Relationships and Communication selfefficacy among Nursing Student", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 10 pp. 394-402, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.10.394 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.10.394
- L. M. Larson, "The Social Cognitive Model of Counselor Training", The Counseling Psychologist, Vol. 26, No. 2 pp. 219-273, 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0011000098262002 https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000098262002
- Y. H. Cho, "Development and effects of Team- Based Learning program on enhance of communication competence for nursing students", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chosun University, Gwangju, 2014.
- P. S. Richards, M. R. Inglehart, "An interdisciplinary approach to case-based teaching: does it create patient-centered and culturally sensitive providers?", Journal of Dental Education, Vol. 70, No. 3 pp. 284-291, 2006.
- K. S. Kesten, "Role-play using SBAR technique to improve observed Communication skills in senior nursing students", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 50, No. 2 pp. 79-87. 2011 DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20101230-02 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20101230-02
- C. Foronda, K. Gattamorta, K. Snowden, E. B. Bauman, "Use of virtual clinical simulation to improve Communication skills of baccalaureate nursing students: A pilot study", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 34, No. 6 pp. e53-7, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.10.007
- W. J. Kim, S. Y. Kim, "A Study on The Effects of The Nursing Management Practice SBAR on Nursing Students' Self-expressiveness, Communication Skills, and Abilities to Think Critically", Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol. 16, No. 9 pp. 457-472, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.22251/jicci2016.16.9.457
- Y. K. Ha, Y. J. Lee, Y. H. Lee, "Simulation training applying SBAR for the improvement of nursing undergraduate students' interdisciplinary communication skills", Journal of the Korean data & information science society, Vol. 28, No. 2 pp. 407-419, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2017.28.2.407 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2017.28.2.407
- C. H. Seong, J. H. Yoon, "The Effect of SBAR Application Simulation Learning for Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean Nursing Research, Vol. 2, No. 2 pp. 11-19, 2018.
- M. S. Hyun, H. J. Cho, M. A. Lee, "Effect of SBAR-Collaborative Communication Program on the Nurses' Communication skills and the Collaboration between Nurses and Doctors", Journal Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 22, No. 5 pp. 518-530, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.518 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.518
- J. Yoon, "Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition: In nursing.", The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, 2004.
- H. W. Ayres, "Factors related to motivation to learn and motivation to transfer learning in a nursing population. Doctoral dissertation, North Carolina State University, U.SA, 2005.
- Y. J. Oh, "The Development and Effectiveness of the Communication Empowerment Program for Nursing students based on the Theory of Transfer of Learning", Unpublished doctoral thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2008.
- Rubin, R, B, Communication competence. In G. M. Phillips & J. T. Wood(Eds.), Speech Communication: Essays to communication the 75th antiversity of the speech Communication Association, Carbondale: Southern Illinois university Press, pp. 94-129, 1990.
- G. H. Hur, "Construction and validation of a global interpersonal communication competence scale", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 47, No. 6 pp. 380-408, 2003.
- E. J. Kim, "The Effect of Simulation-based SBAR Training Program on Nursing Students Communication and Clinical Judgement", Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2018.
- Y. H. Kim, Y. S. Choi, H. Y. Jun, M. J. Kim, "Effects of SBAR Program on Communication Clarity, Clinical Competence and Self-efficacy for Nurses in Cancer Hospitals", Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 1 pp. 20-29, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2016.20 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2016.20