- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of Occupational Therapist Competency Indicators for Occupation-Based Intervention: Delphi Study
작업기반 중재를 위한 작업치료사 역량지표 개발: 델파이연구
- Shin, Jae-Yong (Mokdong Hyundai Medical Care Hospital) ;
- Kim, Jung-Ran (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, College of Health Science, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Ji-Sun (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, The Graduate School, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.12.21
- Accepted : 2018.02.12
- Published : 2018.02.28
Objective : The purpose of this study was to develop a competency indicators of occupational therapists for occupation-based intervention by conducting a Delphi survey to occupation-based intervention experts. Methods : After analyzing the data related to occupational therapists indicators in korea, the results of Delphi survey were collected three times from October to December 2016. Based on the results, we developed occupational therapists competency indicators for occupation-based intervention through expert panel's opinions. Results : Based on the eight competency elements, the competency indicators were examined by 133 primary and 133 secondary competency indicators. Finally, 131 competency indicators were developed based on 8 components as occupational therapist competence indicators for occupation-based intervention. The results of the third delphi showed a high level of content validity of .95, stability of .10, convergence of 0, and consensus of 1. Conclusion : The developed occupational therapist competence indicators for occupation-based intervention could be used in various clinical decision making such as occupation-based intervention, education training, education development and evaluation.
- Arnadottir, G. (1990). The brain and behavior: Assessing cortical dysfunction through activities of daily living. St. Louis: The C. V. Mosby Company.
- Berro, M., & Deshaies, L. (2007). Lip service or service: Is your practice really as occupation-based as it can be. In annual meeting of the American Occupational Therapy Association, St. Louis, MO.
- Bissell, J. C., & Mailloux, Z. (1981). The use of crafts in occupational therapy for the physically disabled. American journal of occupational therapy, 35(6), 369-374. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.35.6.369
- Chan, P. S., Krupa, T., Lawson, J. S., & Eastabrook, S. (2005). An outcome in need of clarity: Building a predictive model of subjective quality of life for persons with severe mental illness living in the community. American journal of occupational therapy, 59(2), 181-190. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.59.2.181
- Chang, K. Y., Lee, H. S., Jung, M. Y., Jeon, B. J., Park, S. H., Woo, H. S, & Shim, S. H. (2015). Development of the Korean occupational therapist essential competency. The journal of Korean society of occupational therapy, 23(4), 1-16.
- Che Daud, A. Z., Yau, M. K., & Barnett, F. (2015). A consensus definition of occupation-based intervention from a Malaysian perspective: A Delphi study. British journal of occupational therapy, 78(11), 697-705. https://doi.org/10.1177/0308022615569510
- Chisholm, D., Dolhi, C. D., & Schreiber, J. (2004). Occupational therapy intervention resource manual: A guide for occupation-based practice. Cengage Learning.
- Christiansen, C. H., Backman, C., Little, B. R., & Nguyen, A. (1999). Occupations and well-being: A study of personal projects. American journal of occupational therapy, 53(1), 91-100. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.53.1.91
- Colaianni, D., & Provident, I. (2010). The benefits of and challenges to the use of occupation in hand therapy. Occupational therapy in health care, 24(2), 130-146. https://doi.org/10.3109/07380570903349378
- Daud, A. Z. C., Judd, J., Yau, M., & Barnett, F. (2016). Issue in applying occupation-based intervention in clinical practice: A delphi study. Procedia-social and behavioral sciences, 222, 272-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.05.158
- Earley, D., & Shannon, M. (2006). The use of occupation-based treatment with a person who has shoulder adhesive capsulitis: a case report. American journal of occupational therapy, 60(4), 397-403. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.60.4.397
- Fisher, A. (2009). OTIPM: Occupational Therapy Intervention Process Model.
- Fisher, A. G., & Jones, K. B. (1999). Assessment of motor and process skills (Vol. 375). Fort Collins, CO: Three Star Press.
- Guion, R. M. (1991). Personnel assessment, selection, and placement In MD Dunnette & LM Hough (Eds.), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 2,(pp. 327-398). Palo Alto.
- Guzelkucuk, U., Duman, I., Taskaynatan, M. A., & Dincer, K. (2007). Comparison of therapeutic activities with therapeutic exercises in the rehabilitation of young adult patients with hand injuries. Journal of hand surgery, 32(9), 1429-1435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2007.08.008
- Helfrich, C. A., & Fogg, L. F. (2007). Outcomes of a life skills intervention for homeless adults with mental illness. The journal of primary prevention, 28(3-4), 313-326. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10935-007-0103-y
- Jarus, T., Shavit, S., & Ratzon, N. (2000). From hand twister to mind twister: computer-aided treatment in traumatic wrist fracture. American journal of occupational therapy, 54(2), 176-182. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.54.2.176
- Ji, S. Y., Lee, K. M., & Kim, M. S. (2008). Occupation-based Occupational Therapy for an Youth With Sensory Integrative Dysfunction - A Single Case Study. The journal of Korean academy of sensory integration 6(1). 47-62.
- Khang, Y. H., Yoon, S. J., Kang, G. W., Kim, C. Y., Yoo, K. Y., & Shin, Y. S. (1998). An application of Delphi method to the assessment of current status of cancer research. Korean Journal of Preventive Medicine, 31(4), 844-856.
- Killian, A. (2006). Making occupation-based practice a reality: Part 2. Administration and Management Special Interest Section Quarterly, 22, 1-3.
- Kim, J. H. (2011). Application of Occupational Therapy Intervention Process Model: A Case of Child With Sensory Integration Dysfunction. The journal of Korean academy of sensory integration, 9(2), 1-13.
- Ku, I. S., Jung, M. Y., Yoo, E. Y., Park, J. H., Lee, J. S., & Lee, H. S. (2015). Development of competency indicators for Korean occupational therapists(K-CIOT). The journal of Korean society of occupational therapy, 23(1), 137-149. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2015.23.1.11
- Lawshe, C. H. (1975). A quantitative approach to content validity. Personnel psychology, 28(4), 563-575. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1975.tb01393.x
- Lee, E. Y. (2016). The effects of occupation-based training with errorless learning and spaced retrieval on Instrumental Activity of Daily Living(IADL) of people with mild vascular dementia (Master's thesis). Yonsei University, Wonju.
- Lee, H. S., Chang, K. Y., Jung, M. Y., Ku, I. S. & Woo, H. S. (2014). Job analysis of occupational therapists for 2013. The journal of Korean society of occupational therapy, 22(2), 89-112.
- Lee, H. S., Jung, M Y., Chung, B. I., Park, S. Y., Yoo, E. Y., & Kang, D. H. (2010). Survey of job characteristics and practice analysis among Korean occupational therapists. The journal of Korean society of occupational therapy, 18(2), 1-21.
- Lee, H. S., Park, S. H., Kim, Y J., Noh, C. S., Yoon, Y. Y., & Lee, K. M. (2015). Practice analysis among Korean school based occupational therapists. The journal of Korean society of occupational therapy, 23(4), 17-33. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2015.23.4.02
- Lee, S. W., Taylor, R., & Kielhofner, G. (2009). Choice, knowledge, and utilization of a practice theory: A national study of occupational therapists who use the Model of Human Occupation. Occupational therapy in health care, 23(1), 60-71. https://doi.org/10.1080/07380570802455540
- Lee, S. W., Kielhofner, G., Morley, M., Heasman, D., Garnham, M., Willis, S., & Taylor, R. R. (2012). Impact of using the Model of Human Occupation: A survey of occupational therapy mental health practitioners' perceptions. Scandinavian journal of occupational therapy, 19(5), 450-456. https://doi.org/10.3109/11038128.2011.645553
- Legault, E., & Rebeiro, K. L. (2001). Occupation as means to mental health: A single-case study. American journal of occupational therapy, 55(1), 90-96. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.55.1.90
- Legg, L., Drummond, A., & Langhorne, P. (2006). Occupational therapy for patients with problems in activities of daily living after stroke. The Cochrane Library, 4, 1-33.
- Legg, L., Drummond, A., Leonardi-Bee, J., Gladman, J. R. F., Corr, S., Donkervoort, M., ... & Sackley, C. (2007). Occupational therapy for patients with problems in personal activities of daily living after stroke: systematic review of randomised trials. Bmj, 335(7626), 922. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39343.466863.55
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy Inc.(NBCOT). (2008). Executive summary for the practice analysis study: Occupational Therapist Registered, NBCOT 2008 Practice Analysis. Gaithersburg, MD: Author.
- Polatajko, H. J., & Mandich, A. (2004). Enabling occupation in children: The cognitive orientation to daily occupational performance (CO-OP) approach(pp. 190). Ottawa, ON: CAOT Publications ACE.
- Powell, J. M., Rich, T. J., & Wise, E. K. (2016). Effectiveness of occupation-and activity-based interventions to improve everyday activities and social participation for people with traumatic brain injury: A systematic review. American journal of occupational therapy, 70(3), 7003180040p1-7003180040p9. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2016.020909
- Schindler, V. P. (2010). A client-centred, occupationbased occupational therapy programme for adults with psychiatric diagnoses. Occupational therapy international, 17(3), 105-112. https://doi.org/10.1002/oti.291
- Skubik-Peplaski, C., Carrico, C., Nichols, L., Chelette, K., & Sawaki, L. (2012). Behavioral, neurophysiological, and descriptive changes after occupation-based intervention. American journal of occupational therapy, 66(6), e107-e113. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2012.003590
- Tomori, K., Nagayama, H., Ohno, K., Nagatani, R., Saito, Y., Takahashi, K., ... & Higashi, T. (2015). Comparison of occupation-based and impairment-based occupational therapy for subacute stroke: A randomized controlled feasibility study. Clinical rehabilitation, 29(8), 752-762. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215514555876
- Toth-Fejel, G. E., Toth-Fejel, G. F., & Hedricks, C. A. (1998). Occupation-centered practice in hand rehabilitation using the experience sampling method. American journal of occupational therapy, 52(5), 381-385. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.52.5.381
- Wasmuth, S., Pritchard, K., & Kaneshiro, K. (2016). Occupation-Based Intervention for Addictive Disorders: A Systematic Review. Journal of substance abuse treatment, 62, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2015.11.011
- Yong, J. H., Choi, H. S., Jeong, W. M., Lee, J. Y., Park, H. Y., Cho, B. Y.,...& Hong, S. P. (2011). Job analysis of Korean occupational therapists based on the DACUM method. The journal of Korean society of occupational therapy, 19(2), 97-109.
- Zemke R. (2012, 7). The Future of Occupation Science. Japanese occupational science symposium 16th, Sapporo Japan.