- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Report of 39 unrecorded bacterial species in Korea belonging to Gammaproteobacteria
- Kim, Min-Kyeong (Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Jisun (Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yun, Bo-Ram (Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Bae, Jin-Woo (Department of Biology, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Cha, Chang-Jun (Department of Biotechnology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Cho, Jang-Cheon (Department of Biological Sciences, Inha University) ;
- Im, Wan-Taek (Department of Biotechnology, Hankyoung National University) ;
- Jahng, Kwang Yeop (Department of Biological Sciences, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Jeon, Che Ok (Department of Life Science, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Joh, Kiseong (Department of Biotechnology, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Kim, Wonyong (Department of Microbiology, Chung-Ang University College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Soon Dong (Department of Science Education, Jeju National University) ;
- Seong, Chi Nam (Department of Biology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Yi, Hana (School of Biosystem and Biomedical Science, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Seung-Bum (Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2017.09.01
- Accepted : 2017.12.29
- Published : 2018.02.28
During a series of extensive surveys of prokaryotic species diversity in Korea, bacterial strains belonging to Gammaproteobacteria were isolated from various sources of aquatic and terrestrial environments. A total of 39 isolates were obtained, which represented 39 unrecorded species in Korea belonging to 20 genera in 12 families. Enterobacteriaceae was the largest family, as eight species were assigned, which was followed by Moraxellaceae (6 species) and Pseudomonadaceae (5 species). At the genus level, Marinobacter (6 species), and Pseudomonas (5 species) were the main genera, and at least two species were obtained for Acinetobacter (3 species), Psychrobacter (3 species), Shewanella (2 species), Dickeya (2 species), Salinivibrio (2 species), Vibrio (2 species) and Rhodanobacter(2 species). The detailed description of each unrecorded species is provided.
- Brenner, D.J., N.R. Krieg., J.T. Staley and G.M. Garrity. 2005. Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, second edition, vol. 2 (The Proteobacteria), part B (The Gammaprotoebacteria), Springer, New York.
- Choi, A., J.-W. Bae, C.-J. Cha, J. Chun, W.-T. Im, K.Y. Jahng, C.O. Jeon, K. Joh, S.B. Kim, C.N. Seong, J.-H. Yoon and J.-C. Cho. 2015. A report of 39 unrecorded bacterial species in Korea, belonging to the Betaproteobacteria and Gammaproteobacteria. J. Species Res. 4(2):109-126 https://doi.org/10.12651/JSR.2015.4.2.109
- Euzeby, J.P. 2017. List of Prokaryotic Names with Standing in Nomenclature, as of August 2017 (www.bacterio.net).
- Felsenstein, J. 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39:783-791. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1558-5646.1985.tb00420.x
- Jeon, Y.S., K. Lee, S.C. Park, B.S. Kim, Y.J. Cho, S.M. Ha and J. Chun. 2014. EzEditor: a versatile sequence alignment editor for both rRNA- and protein-coding genes. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 64:689-691. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.059360-0
- Jukes, T. and C. Cantor. 1969. Evolution of protein molecules. In 'Mammalian Protein Metabolism' (Munro, H.N. ed.). pp. 21-132. Academic Press: New York.
- Jung, Y.T., J.W. Bae, C.O. Jeon, K. Joh, C.N. Seong, K.Y. Jahng, J.C. Cho, C.J. Cha, W.T. Im, S.B. Kim and J.H. Yoon. 2016. A report of 31 unrecorded bacterial species in South Korea belonging to the class Gammaproteobacteria. J. Species Res. 5(1):188-200. https://doi.org/10.12651/JSR.2016.5.1.188
- Kim, H., J.Y. Kang, J. Choi, J.U. Choe, S. Lee, T.U. Kim, H.N. Yi, K.Y. Jahng, J.C. Cho, H.H. Lee, K. Kim, S.B. Kim, J. Chun and K. Joh. 2011. Novel taxa belonging to the class Alphaproteobacteria, and Gammaproteobacteria, isolated from the Sumunmulbengdui Wetland Area of Jeju Island. Kor. J. Environ. Biol. 29(3):144-153.
- Kim, O.S., Y.J. Cho, K. Lee, S.H. Yoon, M. Kim, H. Na, S.C. Park, Y.S. Jeon, J.H. Lee, H. Yi, S. Won and J. Chun. 2012. Introducing EzTaxon-e: a prokaryotic 16S rRNA gene sequence database with phylotypes that represent uncultured species. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 62(3):716-721. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.038075-0
- Kumar, S., G. Stecher and K. Tamura. 2016. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 7.0 for bigger datasets. Mol. Biol. Evol. 33:1870-1874. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msw054
- Saitou, N. and M. Nei. 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406-425.
- Um, Y., Y. Joung, G.G. Nam, K.Y. Jahng, S.B. Kim, K. Joh, C.J. Cha, C.N. Seong, J.W. Bae, W.T. Im and J.C. Cho. 2016. A report on 33 unrecorded bacterial species of Korea isolated in 2014, belonging to the class Gammaproteobacteria. J. Species Res. 5(2):241-253. https://doi.org/10.12651/JSR.2016.5.2.241