- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of School-Based Social Skills Training Program on Peer Relationships: Preliminary Study
- Roh, Hong-Shik (Department of Psychiatry, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Shin, Jung-Uk (Department of Psychiatry, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Lee, Jae-Woo (Department of Psychiatry, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Lee, Yeon-Woo (Department of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Promotion, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Kim, Tae-Won (Department of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Promotion, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Kim, Ji-Young (Department of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Promotion, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Park, Mi-Ri (Department of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Promotion, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Song, Gang-Sik (Department of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Promotion, Bugok National Hospital) ;
- Seo, Sang Soo (Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Bugok National Hospital)
- Received : 2017.06.02
- Accepted : 2017.10.18
- Published : 2018.01.01
Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of a school-based social skills training program on peer relationships in children and adolescents and to assess the plan for effective school-based mental health services. Methods: The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Promotion Team of Bugok National Hospital conducted 7-sessioned school-based social skills training for elementary and middle school students (n=90). Changes in peer relationships were evaluated before and after application of the program using a name generator question. Results: The social skills training program increased peer relations, indicating significant changes in social network indices. Conclusion: The social skills training program positively influenced peer relationships. The school-based social skills training program can be expected to have positive effects on school-based mental health services. Future investigation is needed to validate the long term effects of this program.
- Kim HJ, Roh JU. A study on the change of youth peer network - focusing on the life competency. J Future Oriented Youth Soc 2010;7: 87-109.
- Song YM, Lee HC. The determinants of friendship among adolescent in Korea. J Korean Teach Educ 2011;28:91-112. https://doi.org/10.24211/tjkte.2011.28.1.91
- EGifford-Smitha ME, Brownell CA. Childhood peer relationships: social acceptance, friendships, and peer networks. J Sch Psychol 2003;41:235-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4405(03)00048-7
- Birch SH, Ladd GW. Children's interpersonal behaviors and the teacher-child relationship. Dev Psychol 1998;34:934-946. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16184.108.40.2064
- Rutter M. School effects on pupils progress: research findings and policy implications. Child Dev 1983;54:1-29. https://doi.org/10.2307/1129857
- Hartup WW. Social relationships and their developmental significance. Am Psychol 1989;44:120-126. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.44.2.120
- Hartup WW. The company they keep: friendships and their developmental significance. Child Dev 1996;67:1-13 https://doi.org/10.2307/1131681
- Demaray MK, Malecki CK, Davidson LM, Hodgson KK, Rebus PJ. The relationship between social support and student adjustment: a longitudinal analysis. Psychol Sch 2005;42:691-706. https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.20120
- Kim HJ. Determinants of human relationships: a network analysis. Korean J Commun Stud 2000;8:58-77.
- Bahn GH. A trial application of evidence-based and school-based community program for enhancement of mental health in school children. Seoul: National Center for Mental Health;2010.
- Sim SY, Park SH, Lee MH, Lee MS. A study on application of schoolbased mental health improvement programs: focusing on sociality improvement programs. Ment Health 2015;6:41-47.
- Cho NA. A theoretical review of participation in youth group activities and its potential as social capital. J Future Oriented Youth Soc 2008;5:177-198.
- Bae EK. The changes of Korean public mental health services for children and adolescents - challenges for mental health promotion. Ment Health Soc Work 2015;43:283-312.
- Hendren R, Weisen RB, Orley J. Mental health programmes in schools. Geneva: World Health Organization;1994.
- Lee HM. Effects of the emotion regulation competence enhancement program on elementary school students' aggression and peer relations [dissertation]. Gwangju: Chonnam National Univ.;2013.
- Kim SY. The effect of a emotion regulation program on aggression of elementary school students with aggression problems [dissertation]. Daegu: Kyungpook National Univ.;2008.
- Kang YH. The effect of emotional intelligence strengthening program on emotional ability and peer relationship of primary school students [dissertation]. Seoul: Hongik Univ.;2008.
- Lee DY, Roh EM, Kim IY, Ko GN, Choi JW, Lee YR, et al. Schoolbased short term mental health awareness and school bullying prevention programs: preliminary report. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2014;25:196-202. https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2014.25.4.196
- Kim MS, Shin JU, Lee YR, Lee YW, Jung KA, Jung DN, et al. Effects of School-Based Social Skills Training Program on Alexithymic Tendency: preliminary study. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2016;27:216-225 https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2016.27.3.216
- Kim KM, Lee JA, Yeom YS. Characteristics of social network and suicide impulse by school violence experiences in Korean adolescents. Korean J Sociol 2013;6:707-718.
- Woo DG. Group counseling program manual. Daegu: Daegu Metropolitan Office of Education;2012. p.128-169.
- Kim YH, Kim YJ. Social Network Analysis. Seoul: Pakyoung; 2016.
- Moreno JL. Who shall survive? A new approach to the problem of human interrelations. Washington, DC: Nervous and Mental disease Publishing;1934.
- Korea Data Agency. The guide for advanced data analytics professional. Seoul: Korea Data Agency;2016.
- Kim SK. Social Network Analysis (SNA) and industrial engineering. ie Magazine 2011;18:24-32.
- Winkley L. Emotional problems in children and young people. London: Cassell;1996.
- Song SK. Social network analysis report of middle school students in Seoul. Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education;2016.