- Volume 27 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Environmental Attitude between Interest Groups in Gayasan National Park
가야산 국립공원의 이해집단 간 환경태도 비교
- Han, Jae-Gyeong (Department of Environmental Science and Landscape Architecture, Daegu Catholic University) ;
- Woo, Hyung-Taek (Faculty of Environmental Science, Horticulture and Landscaping, Daegu Catholic University)
- Received : 2018.07.31
- Accepted : 2018.09.17
- Published : 2018.11.30
This study aims to analyze and compare environmental attitudes of interest groups, including visitors, local residents, Buddhist monks, and staff of the Korea National Park Service in Gayasan National Park. To achieve this purpose, five hypotheses were formulated and tested. While three hypotheses were statistically rejected, two were accepted. In every interest group, the environmental attitude level of women was higher than that of men. Local residents particularly showed statistically significant differences in accordance with occupation. The difference in environmental attitude between visitors and local residents was not statistically significant. Finally, the environmental attitude level between interest groups was divided into three groups. The staff of the Korea National Park Service showed the highest level of environmental attitude, followed by Buddhist monks, and a group of visitors and residents recorded the lowest. However, the average level of environmental attitude of every interest group scored above the mid-point of 3. Therefore, it can be concluded that there exists no difference between or conflicts among interest groups related to strengthening conservation and management policies regarding the protection of Gayasan National Park.
- Ahn, C. H., Byun, B. S., 2013, A Study on the characteristics of visitors' ecotourism and environmental, economic and social awareness, J. Environ. Pol. Admin., 21, 97-124.
- Brecker, S. J., 1984, Empirical validation of affect, behavior, and cognition as distinct components of attitude, J. Pers. Soc. Psychol., 47, 1191-1205. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.111
- Cheong C, 2007, The effects of Konwledge, beliefs and attitudes about environmental on issue-based environmental problem solving in middle schools, Kor. J. Environ. Educ, 20, 118-130.
- Dunlap, R. E., Van Liere, K. D., 1978, The "new environmental paradigm": A proposed measuring instrument and preliminary results, J. Environ. Educ., 9, 10-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.1978.10801875
- Dunlap, R. E., Van Liere, K. D., Mertig, A. G., Emmet Jones, R., 2000, Measuring endorsement of the new ecological paradigm: A revised NEP scale, J. Soc. Issues, 56, 425-442. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-4537.00176
- Fishbein, M., Ajen, I., 1975, Belief, attitude, intention and behavior, Addison Wesley Publishing Co., Massachusetts, 1-89.
- Gifford and Sussman, 2012, Environmental attitude, in: Clayton, S. D.(cd.), The Oxford Handbook of Environmental and Conservation Psychology, Oxford University Press, New York, 65-80.
- Han, S. Y., 2000, Measuring the environmental attitudes for National Park visitors: Application of new environmental paradigm, J. Kor. For. Soc., 89, 598-608.
- Jang, W. J., 2001, Designing a likert-type scale to measure nuclear energy attitude, MS Master's Thesis, Catholic university of Daegu, 1-51.
- Jo, Y. A., Kim, K. H., 2003, Environmental consciousness in Korea: Empirical analysis, Environ. Res. Econ. Rev., 12, 177-204.
- Kim, E. Y., Lee, J. A., Kim, H. G., Chon, J. H., 2014, The visitors characteristics of urban ecological park-The cases of Gildong ecological park, Yeouido tributary ecological park, J. Kor. Inst. Landsc. Archit., 42, 64-74.
- Kim, J. E., Woo, H. T., 2004, Characteristics and variables of nuclear energy attitudes of social groups, J. Environ. Sci., 13, 955-963.
- Kim, J. M., 2014, A Study on the differences in environmental perceptions of the interest groups in the protected areas: focused on Seoraksan National Park, Kor. J. Env. Eco. 28, 779-778.
- Kim, K. S., 2017, The effect of university students' environmental attitude/knowledge on environmentally friendly behavior for the establishment of a sustainable campus, J. Environ. Pol. Admin., 25, 95-118.
- Kim, S. H., 2015, An Analysis on the relation between residents' perception of tourism impact, environmental attitude and participation: Focused on Keumkang pine tree forest trail, J. Kor. Geogr. Soc., 50, 339-354.
- Kim, S. O., 2011, Visitors' perceptions and attitudes about establishing a cable car in Mudeungsan provincial park, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 25, 421-431.
- Kum, J. H., Kim, J. M., 2009, The validation of NEP scale for elementary school students in Korea, Kor. J. Environ. Educ., 22, 40-52.
- Korea National Park Research Institute, 2016, http://research.knps.or.kr.
- Korea National Park Service, 2017, http://www.knps.or.kr.
- Ryu, D. G., Park K. S., Kim, T. H., 2016, An Analysis on the differences in national park visitors' pro-Environment behaviroal intention and support for national park managerial policies by personal norm, Int. J. Tour. Hosp. Res., 30, 197-210.
- Shon, C., Samarasinghe, S., 2012, Age and attitude toward climate change in Seoul, Korea, Kor. Spat. Plann. Rev., 74, 221-232. https://doi.org/10.15793/kspr.2012.74..013
- Van Liere, K. D., Dunlap, R. E., 1980, The social bases of environmental concern: A review of hypotheses, explanations and empirical evidence, Public Opin. Q., 44, 181-197. https://doi.org/10.1086/268583
- Woo, H. T., 2003, Development of environmental attitude scale for Korean junior high school students, J. Environ. Sci., 12, 763-774.
- Woo, H. T., Han, J. G., Jeon, E. J., 2017, Comparison of environmental attitude between interest groups in Juwangsan National Park, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 26, 1147-1153. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2017.26.10.1147
- Xiao, C., Dunlap, R. E., Hong, D., 2013, The nature and bases of environmental concern among Chinese citizens, Soc. Sci. Q., 94, 672-690. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6237.2012.00934.x
- Yang, J. I., Ahn, D. S., 2008, An Analysis on the environmental ethics and the environmental consciousness of visitors in Naejangsan National Park, J. Kor. Inst. For. Recreation, 12, 21-29.
- Yoon, S. W., Yang, Y. J., 2015, A Difference analysis among nationality, gender and age regarding environmental conscious behavior, J. Kor. Ac. In. Coop. Soc., 16, 5089-5095.
- Zhang, J., 1994, Environmental hazards in the Chinese public's eyes, Risk Analysis, 14, 163-167. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.1994.tb00041.x