- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Damping Correction Factors for the Korean Standard Design Spectrum
한국 표준설계스펙트럼의 감쇠보정계수에 대한 연구
- Heo, Tae Min (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Jung Han (School of Urban, Architecture and Civil Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Jin Ho (Department of Ocean Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Jae Kwan (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.10.25
- Accepted : 2017.12.08
- Published : 2018.01.01
In this study, we develop and propose damping correction factors for the Korean standard design spectra. The newly proposed Korean standard design spectra has been given only for 5% damping ratio. But in practice, engineers need design spectra for damping values other than 5%. To obtain design spectra for various damping values from the standard spectra, damping correction factors are derived. These factors modify the shape of design spectra in accordance with the damping ratio. Response spectra for various damping values are calculated from the earthquake records that had been used to calculate standard design spectra. They consist of 55 records from 18 earthquakes occurred in overseas intraplate regions and Korea. The regressed spectra for the damping values ranging from 0.5% to 50 % are compared with standard spectra at three regions acceleration, velocity and displacement sensitive regions. The regression analysis of these data rendered formula for damping correction factors. Finally, a single formula for damping correction factors is recommended that is valid for both horizontal and vertical design spectra and that is applicable to the entire range of periods. One thing to note that recommended damping correction factors is valid for the design spectrum of the rock grounds because the design spectra was developed based on the earthquake records of the rock ground.
Grant : 지진가속도 분석 등을 통한 설계지반운동 표시방법 고도화기술 개발
Supported by : 국민안전처
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). Design Response Spectra for Seismic Design of Nuclear Power Plants (Regulatory Guide 1.60). Washington, DC, USA. c2014. p. 5-9.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). Guide Specifications for Seismic Isolation Design. AASHTO. c2000. 28 p.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). NHERP Guidelines for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings (FEMA 273). FEMA. c1997. Chapter 2, p. 22-23.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Improvement of nonlinear static seismic analysis procedures (FEMA 440). FEMA. c2005. Chapter 6, p. 5-6.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). NEHRP Recommended Seismic Provisions for Seismic Regulations for New Buildings and Other Structures (FEMA P-750). FEMA. c2009. p. 221-22.
- Comite EuropEen de Normalisation. Eurocode 8: Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance, Part 1: General Rules Seismic Actions and Rules for Buildings. ComitE EuropEen de Normalisation. c2004. 40 p.
- Japan Road Association. Standard Specification for Highway Bridges of Japan. Japan Road Association. c2002. Chapter 4, 7 p.
- EESK, KICT. The Research of Seismic Design Code(II). Ministry of Construction and Transportation. c1997.
- Korea Road Association. Korean Highway Bridge Design Code(Limit state design) Cable Bridge part. Ministry of Construction and Transportation. c2014. Chapter 9, p. 10.
- Kim JK, Kim JH, Lee JH, Heo TM. Development of Korean standard horizontal design spectrum based on the domestic and overseas intra-plate earthquake records. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2016 Nov;20(6):369-378. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.6.369
- Kim JK, Kim JH, Lee JH, Heo TM. Development of Korean standard vertical design spectrum based on the domestic and overseas intraplate earthquake records. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2016 Nov;20(6):413-424. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.6.413
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security. Available from: http://www.mpss.go.kr/safe/open/0014/0001/;jsessionid=ljNAj7+-0-HkfNzMuMWeZ7q.node41?boardId=bbs_0000000000000041&mode=view&cntId=8636&category=%EC%9E%AC%EB%82%9C%EA%B4%80%EB%A6%AC%EC%8B%A4&pageIdx=&searchCondition=all&searchKeyword=%EB%82%B4%EC%A7%84%EC%84%A4%EA%B3%84%EA%B8%B0%EC%A4%80%20%EA%B3%B5%ED%86%B5%EC%A0%81%EC%9A%A9%EC%82%AC%ED%95%AD
- Architectural Institute of Korea. Korean Building Code And Commentary 2016. Ministry of Construction and Transportation. c2016.
- Applied Technology Council (ATC). Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings. California Seismic Safety Commission. c1996.
- Korea Meteorological Administratuib. Domestic Earthquake List. Available from: http://www.kma.go.kr/weather/earthquake_volcano/domesticlist.jsp
- Kenneth W, Bozorgnia C, Bozorgnia Y. NGA Ground Motion Model for the Geometric Mean Horizontal Component of PGA, PGV, PGD and 5% Damped Linear Elastic Response Spectra for Periods Ranging from 0.01 to 10 s. Earthquake Spectra. 2008 Feb;24(1):139-171. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2857546
- Boore DM, Watson-Lamprey JA, Abrahamson NA. Orientation-Independent Measures of Ground Motion. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2006 Aug;96(4A):1502-1511.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures. ASCE/SEI 7-10; 2010. Chapter 21, Site-specific Ground Motion Porcedures for Seismic Design; p. 207-209.
- Davenport WB Jr. Probability and random processes: an introduction for applied scientists and engineers. New York: McGraw-Hill; c1970. 542 p.
- Amplification Characteristics of Domestic and Overseas Intraplate Earthquake Ground Motions in Korean Soil and Standard Horizontal Design Spectrum for Soil Sites vol.22, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2018.22.7.391