- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Optimum Air-Gap Flux Distribution with Third Harmonic Rotor Flux Orientation Adjustment for Five-Phase Induction Motor
- Kang, Min ;
- Yu, Wenjuan ;
- Wang, Zhengyu ;
- Kong, Wubin ;
- Xiao, Ye
- Received : 2017.06.16
- Accepted : 2017.10.20
- Published : 2018.01.01
This paper investigates optimum air-gap flux distribution with third harmonic rotor flux orientation adjustment for five-phase induction motor. The technique of objective is to generate a nearly rectangular air-gap flux, and it improves iron utilization under variation loading conditions. The proportional relations between third harmonic and fundamental plane currents is usually adopted in the conventional method. However, misalignment between fundamental and third harmonic component occurs with variation loading. The iron of stator teeth is saturated due to this misalignment. This problem is solved by third harmonic rotor flux orientation adjustment simultaneously, and direction and amplitude are changed with mechanical load variation. The proposed method ensures that the air-gap flux density is near rectangular for a maximum value from no load to rated load. It is confirmed that the proposed method guarantees complete both planes decoupling with third harmonic flux orientation adjustment. The effectiveness of the proposed technique is validated experimentally.
Air-gap flux;Five-phase induction motor;Third harmonic;Nearly rectangular;Orientation adjustment
- E. Levi, "Multiphase electric machines for variablespeed application," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1893-1909, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918488
- E. Levi, R. Bojoi, F. Profumo, H. A. Toliyat, and S. Williamson, "Multiphase IM drives - A technology status review," IET Elect. Power Appl., vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 489-516, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20060342
- R. Bojoi, F. Profumo, and A. Tenconi, "Dual-three phase IM drives-a technology status review," IET Electr. Power Appl., vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 420-429, 2006.
- H. A. Toliyat, L. Y. Xu, and T. A. Lipo, "A five-phase reluctance motor with high specific torque," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 659-667, May/ Jun. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.137454
- H. A. Toliyat, T. A. Lipo, and J. White, "Analysis of a concentrated winding induction machine for adjustable speed drive applications. II. Motor design and performance," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 684-692, Dec. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.103642
- D. Suman and L. Parse, "Fault-tolerant control of fivephase permanent-magnet motors with trapezoidal back EMF," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 58, no.2, pp. 476-485, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2045322
- A. Mohammadpour, S. Sadeghi, and L. Parsa, "A generalized fault-tolerant control strategy for fivephase PM motor drives considering star, pentagon, pentacle connections of stator windings," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 63-75, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2247011
- H. Guzman, M. J. Duran, F. Barrero, B. Bogado, and S. Toral, "Speed control of five-phase IMs with integrated open-phase fault operation using modelbased predictive current control techniques," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 4474-4484, Aug.2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2289882
- H. Guzman, F. Barrero, and M. J. Duran, "IGBTgating failure effect on a fault-tolerant predictive current-controlled five-phase induction motor drive," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 15-20, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2331019
- A. Mohammadpour and L. Parse, "Global faulttolerant control technique for multiphase permanentmagnet machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 178-186, Jan./ Feb. 2015.
- H. S. Che, E. Levi, M. Jones, W. Hew, and N. Abd. Rahim, "Current control methods for an asymmetrical six-phase IM drive," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 407-417, Jan.2014.
- A. G. Yepes, J. Malvar, A. Vidal, O. Lopez, and J. Doval-Gandoy, "Current harmonics compensation based on multiresonant control in synchronous frames for symmetrical n-phase machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 2708-2720, May. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2365155
- L. Parsa, and H. A. Toliyat, "Five-phase permanentmagnet motor drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 30-37, Jan./Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.841021
- H. Xu, H. A. Toliyat, and L. J. Petersen, "Five-phase IM drives with DSP-based control system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 524-533, Jul. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.800983
- O. Dordevic, M. Jones, and E. Levi "Analytical formulas for phase voltage RMS square and THD in PWM multiphase system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1645-1656, March. 2015.
- N. Bode, M. Jones, and E. Levi, "A space vector PWM with common-mode voltage elimination for open-end winding five-phase drives with a single DC supply," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 2197-2207, May. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2272273
- N. Bodo, E. Levi, and M. Jones, "Investigation of carrier-based PWM techniques for a five-phase openend winding drive topology," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 2054-2065, May. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2196013
- G. Carrasco and C. A. Silva, "Space vector PWM method for five-phase two-level VSI with minimum harmonic injection in the over-modulation region," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 2042- 2205, May. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2201434
- J. Wang, R. Qu, and L. Zhou, "Dual-rotor multiphase permanent magnet machine with harmonic injection to enhance torque density," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 5202204, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2011.2179399
- H. Xu, H. A.Toliyat, and L. J. Petersen, "Rotor field oriented control of five-phase IM with the combined fundamental and third harmonic currents," in Proc. IEEE APEC, Anaheim, CA, 2001, pp. 392-398.
- M. J. Duran, F. Salas, and M. R. Arahal, "Bifurcation analysis of five-phase IM drives with third harmonic injection," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 2006-2014, May. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918470
- C. C. Scharlau, L. F. A. Pereira, L. A. Pereira, and S. Haffner, "Performance of a five-phase induction machine with optimized air gap field under open loop V/f control," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1046-1056, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2008.2001437
- L. A. Pereira, C. C. Scharlau, L. F. Pereira, and J. F. Haffner, "General model of a five-phase induction machine allowing for harmonics in the air gap field," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 891- 899, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.858090
- R. O. C. Lyra, and T. A. Lipo, "Torque density improvement in a six-phase IM with third harmonic current injection," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1351-1360, Sep./ Oct. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.802938
- A. Yong-Le, M. J. Kamper, and A. D. Roux, "Novel direct flux and direct torque control of six-phase induction machine with nearly square air-gap flux density," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1534-1543, Nov./ Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2007.908157
- A. Abdel-Khalik, M. Masoud, and W. Barry, "Elevenphase induction machine: Steady-state analysis and performance evaluation with harmonic injection," IET Elect. Power Appl., vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 670-685, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2009.0204
- A. S. Abdel-Khalik, M. I. Masoud, and B. W. Williams, "Optimum flux distribution with harmonic injection for a multiphase induction machine using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 501-512, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2093139
- A. S. Abdel-Khalik, M. I. Masoud, S. Ahmed, and A. M. Massoud, "Effect of current harmonic injection on constant rotor volume multiphase induction machine stators: A comparative study," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 2002-2013, Nov./Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2226191
- M. Mengoni, L. Zarri, A. Tani, L. Parsa, G. Serra, and D. Casadei, "High-torque-density control of multiphase induction motor drives operating over a wide speed range," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 814-825, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2334662
- L. Zheng, J. E. Fletcher, B. W. Williams, and X. He, "Dual-plane vector control of a five-phase induction machine for an improved flux pattern," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 5, pp.1996-2005, May. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918464
- A. S. Abdel-Khalik, M. I. Masoud, and B. W. Williams, "Improved flux pattern with harmonic injection for multiphase induction machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1563-1578, Mar. 2012.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China