- Volume 13 Issue 1
In this paper, analytical modeling of lift and drag forces in permanent magnet electrodynamic suspension systems (PM EDSs) are presented. After studying the impacts of PM dimensions on the permanent magnetic field and developed lift force, it is indicated that there is an optimum PM length in a specified thickness for a maximum lift force. Therefore, the optimum PM length for achieving maximum lift force is obtained. Afterward, an objective design optimization is proposed to increase the lift force and to decrease the material cost of the system by using Genetic Algorithm. The results confirm that the required values of the lift force can be achieved; while, reducing the system material cost. Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and experimental tests are carried out to evaluate the effectiveness of the PM EDS system model and the proposed optimization method. Finally, a number of design guidelines are extracted.
Permanent magnet;Suspension systems;Genetic algorithm;Finite element
- R. F. Post, and D. D. Ryutov, "The Inductrack: a simpler approach to magnetic levitation," in Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 901-904, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/77.828377
- L. Xianxing, D. Jinyue, D. Yi, S. Kai, and M. Lihong, "Design and Static Performance Analysis of a Novel Axial Hybrid Magnetic Bearing," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 50, pp. 1-4, 2014.
- F. Impinna, J. G. Detoni, N. Amati, and A. Tonoli, "Passive Magnetic Levitation of Rotors on Axial Electrodynamic Bearings," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 49, pp. 599-608, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2209124
- F. Safaei, A. A. Suratgar, A. Afshar, and M. Mirsalim, "Characteristics Optimization of the Maglev Train Hybrid Suspension System Using Genetic Algorithm," Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions on, vol. PP, pp. 1-8, 2015.
- W. Kang, W. Dong, L. Heyun, S. Yang, Z. Xianbiao, and Y. Hui, "Analytical Modeling of Permanent Magnet Biased Axial Magnetic Bearing With Multiple Air Gaps," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 50, pp. 1-4, 2014.
- L. Xu and H. Bangcheng, "The Multiobjective Optimal Design of a Two-Degree-of-Freedom Hybrid Magnetic Bearing," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 50, pp. 1-14, 2014.
- B. Duck Kweon, C. Hungje, and L. Jongmin, "Characteristic Analysis of HTS Levitation Force With Various Conditions of Ground Conductors," Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 18, pp. 803-807, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2008.920684
- L. Jongmin, B. Duck Kweon, K. Hyoungku, A. Min Cheol, L. Young-Shin, and K. Tae-Kuk, "Analysis on Ground Conductor Shape and Size Effect to Levitation Force in Static Type EDS Simulator," Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 20, pp. 896-899, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2041542
- H. Rezaei and S. Vaez-Zadeh, "Modelling and analysis of permanent magnet electrodynamic suspension systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 36, 77-84, 2014. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERM14032407
- R. J. Hill, "Teaching electrodynamic levitation theory," Education, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 33, pp. 346- 354, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/13.61088
- R. F. Post and D. D. Ryutov, "The Inductrack: a simpler approach to magnetic levitation," Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 10, pp. 901-904, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/77.828377
- Business Insider. Markets Now. Available Online: http://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/aluminum-price.
- European Commission. Materials Information System. Available Online: https://setis.ec.europa.eu/mis/material/neodymium.