- Volume 13 Issue 1
This paper presents a harmonic analysis of the modular multilevel converter (MMC) using a double Fourier series (DFS) algorithm. First, the application of DFS for harmonic calculation in the MMC is made by considering the effect of arm inductor. The analytical results are then confirmed by comparing with the simulation results of using the fast Fourier transform (FFT) algorithm. Finally, distribution of harmonics and total harmonic distortion (THD) in the MMC will be analyzed in three cases: harmonics versus number of levels of MMC, harmonics versus total switching frequency and harmonics versus modulation index. The simulation results are performed in the PSCAD/EMTDC simulation program in order to verify the analytical results obtained by Matlab programming.
Double Fourier series;Fast Fourier transform;Harmonic analysis;Modular multilevel converter;Total harmonic distortion
- S. Allebrod, R. Hamerski, and R. Marquardt, "New Transformerless, Scalable Modular Multilevel Converters for HVDC-Transmission," IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC 2008, pp. 174-179, 2008.
- S. Rohner, S. Bernet, M. Hiller, and R. Sommer, "Modulation, Losses, and Semiconductor Requirements of Modular Multilevel Converters," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 2633-2642, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031187
- Qingrui Tu, Zheng Xu, and Lie Xu, "Reduced Switching-Frequency Modulation and Circulating Current Suppression for Modular Multilevel Converters," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 2009-2017, July 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2011.2115258
- M. Saeedifard and R. Iravani, "Dynamic Performance of a Modular Multilevel Back-to-Back HVDC System," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 2903-2912, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2050787
- Ngoc-Thinh Quach, Ji-Han Ko, Dong-Wan Kim, and Eel-Hwan Kim, "An Application of Proportional- Resonant Controller in MMC-HVDC System under Unbalanced Voltage Conditions," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1746-1752, Sept. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1746
- G. S. Konstantinou and V. G. Agelidis, "Performance Evaluation of Half-Bridge Cascaded Multilevel Converters Operated with Multicarrier Sinusoidal PWM Techniques, 4th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, 2009. ICIEA 2009, pp. 3399-3404, May 2009.
- G. Carrara, S. Gardella, M. Marchesoni, R. Salutari, and G. Sciutto, "A New Multilevel PWM Method: A Theoretical Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 497-505, Jul. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.145137
- A. K. Gupta and A. M. Khambadkone, "A Space Vector PWM Scheme for Multilevel Inverters Based on Two-Level Space Vector PWM, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1631-1639, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.881989
- M. Guan, Z. Xu, and H. Chen, "Control and Modulation Strategies for Modular Multilevel Converter Based HVDC System, IECON 2011 - 37th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 849-854, Nov. 2011.
- D. Grahame Holmes and Thomas A. Lipo, "Pulse Width Modulation for Power Converters - Principles and Practice" Wiley-IEEE Press, 2003.
- W. R. Bennett, "New Results in the Calculation of Modulation Products," The Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 12, pp. 228-243, April 1933. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1933.tb03224.x
- Milijana Odavic, Mark Sumner, Pericle Zanchetta, and Jon C. Clare, "A Theoretical Analysis of the Harmonic Content of PWM Waveforms for Multiple- Frequency Modulators," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 131-141, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2026751
- Gary. W. Chang, Shin-Kuan Chen, Huai-Jhe Su, and Ping-Kuei Wang, "Accurate Assessment of Harmonic and Interharmonic Currents Generated by VSI-Fed Drives under Unbalanced Supply Voltages," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 1083-1091, April 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2089473
- Zhonghui Bing and Jian Sun, "Frequency-Domain Modeling of Multipulse Converters by Double- Fourier Series Method," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 3804-3809, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2105504
- C. M. Wu, Wing-Hong Lau, and Henry Shu-Hung Chung, "Analytical Technique for Calculating the Output Harmonics of an H-Bridge Inverter with Dead Time," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 617-627, May 1999.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)