- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Stable Black-Start Strategy for a Stand-Alone DC Micro-Grid
- Cha, Jae-Hun ;
- Han, Yoon-Tak ;
- Park, Kyung-Won ;
- Oh, Jin-Hong ;
- Choi, Tae-Seong ;
- Ko, Jae-Hun ;
- MAHIRANE, Philemon ;
- An, Jae-Yun ;
- Kim, Jae-Eon
- Received : 2017.05.15
- Accepted : 2017.09.09
- Published : 2018.01.01
Unlike an AC system, a DC system does not cause problems with synchronization, stability, reactive power, system losses, and cost. However, more research is still required for the application of DC Systems. This paper proposes a stable black-start strategy for a stand-alone DC micro-grid, which consists of an energy storage system, photovoltaic generator, wind-turbine generator, diesel generator, and DC loads. The proposed method is very important for avoiding inrush current and transient overvoltage in the power system equipment during restoration after a blackout. PSCAD/EMTDC software was used to simulate, analyze, and verify the method, which was found to be stable and applicable for a stand-alone DC micro-grid.
LVDC;DC Distribution;DC micro-grid;Blackout;Black-start;Restoration;PSCAD/EMTDC
- Chad Abbey, Wei Li and Geza Joos, "An Online Control Algorithm for Application of a Hybrid ESS to a Wind-Diesel System", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 12, Dec. 2010.
- Tapas Kumar Saha and Debaprasad Kastha, "Design Optimization and Dynamic Performance Analysis of a Stand-Alone Hybrid Wind-Diesel Electrical Power Generation System", IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1209-1217, Dec. 2010 https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2055870
- Woo-Kyu Chae, et.al., "Design and Field Tests of an Inverted Based Remote MicroGrid on a Korean Island" Energies, pp. 8193-8210, Aug. 2015.
- Frede Blaabjerg, Fellow, Remus Teodorescu, "Over-view of Control and Grid Synchronization for Distributed Power Generation Systems", IEEE Trans. On Industrial Electronics, vol. 53, no. 5, Oct. 2006.
- Zhe Chen, Josep M. Guerrero, Frede Blaabjerg, "A Review of the State of the Art of Power Electronics for Wind Turbines", IEEE Trans. On Power Electronics, vol. 24, no. 8, Aug. 2009.
- Serim Heo et.al., "Simulation Analysis of a Renewable Energy Based Micro-grid using RTDS", KIEE Trans. vol. 60, no. 12, Dec. 2011.
- Eun-Sik Choi, Heung-Kwan Choi, Jin-Hong Jeon and Jong-Bo Ahn, "A Study on Simulation of Dynamic Characteristic in Prototype Micro-grid", KIEE Trans. vol. 59, no. 12, Dec. 2010.
- D. Salomonsson, L. Sode, A. Sannino, "An Adaptive Control System for a DC Microgrid for Data Centers", IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1910-1917, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.2006398
- P. Biczel, "Power Electronic Converters in DC Micro-grid", IEEE CPE'07 (Compatibility in Power Electronics 2007), Gdynia, Poland, May 29-Jun 01, 2007.
- H. Kakigano, Y. Miura, T. Ise, R. Uchida "DC Microgrid for Super High Quality Distribution System Configuration and Control of Distributed Generation and Energy Sotrage Devices-", IEEE PESC '06, June 18-22, 2006.
- E. Mariani, F. Mastroianni and V. Romano, "Field Experiences In Reenergization of Electrical Networks From Thermal And Hydro Unit," IEEE Trans. On PAS, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 1707-1713, July 1984.
- M. Adibi, P. Clelland, L. Fink, H. Happ, R. Kafka, J. Raing, D. Scheurer and F. Trefny, "Power System Restoration - A Task Force Report," IEEE Trans. On PWRS, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 271-277, May 1987.
- M. M. Adibi et al., "Power System Restoration Issues," IEEE Computer Applications in Power, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 19-24, April 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/67.75871
- B. Kirkby, E. Hirst, "New Blackstart Standards Need for Competitive Markets," IEEE Power Engineering Reveiew, vol. 19, pp. 9-11, 1999.
- M. M. Adibi and R. W. Alexander, "Overvoltage Control during Restoration (Power System Restoration Working Group Report)," IEEE Trans. On PWRS, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1464-1470, Nov. 1992.
- M. M. Adibi et al., "Special Consideration in Power System Restoration the Second Working Group Report," IEEE Trans. On PWRS, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 15- 21, Feb. 1994.
- M. M. Adibi et al., "Reactive Capability Limitation of Synchronous Machines," IEEE Trans. On PWRS, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 29-40, Feb. 1994.
- Kollimalla, S. Kumar, and M. K. Mishra, "A New Control Strategy for Interfacing Battery Supercapacitor Storage Systems for PV Systems," IEEE Students' Conference on Electrical, pp. 1-6, 2014.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)