- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Soil-structure interaction effects on seismic behavior of a hyperbolic cooling tower using three-parameter Vlasov foundation model
- Karakas, Ali I. (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University) ;
- Ozgan, Korhan (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University) ;
- Daloglu, Ayse T. (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University)
- Received : 2016.07.25
- Accepted : 2018.01.31
- Published : 2018.01.25
The paper focuses on the seismic responses of a hyperbolic cooling tower resting on soil foundation represented by the three-parameter Vlasov elastic soil model. The three-parameter soil model eliminates the necessity of field testing to determine soil parameters such as reaction modulus and shear parameter. These parameters are calculated using an iterative procedure depending on the soil surface vertical deformation profile in the model. The soil and tower system are modeled in SAP2000 structural analysis program using a computing tool coded in MATLAB. The tool provides a two-way data transfer between SAP2000 and MATLAB with the help of Open Application Programming Interface (OAPI) feature of SAP2000. The response spectrum analyses of the tower system with circular V-shaped supporting columns and annular raft foundation on elastic soil are conducted thanks to the coded tool. The shell and column forces and displacements are presented for different soil conditions and fixed raft base condition to investigate the effects of soil-structure interaction. Numerical results indicate that the flexibility of soil foundation leads to an increase in displacements but a decrease in shell membrane and column forces. Therefore, it can be stated that the consideration of soil-structure interaction in the seismic response analysis of the cooling tower system provides an economical design process.
Supported by : TUBITAK (Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council)
- Aksu, T. (1996), "A finite element formulation for columnsupported hyperboloid cooling towers", Comput. Struct., 59(5), 965-974. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(95)00323-1
- Christian, L. (2011a), "Earthquake behavior of natural draft cooling towers-Determination of behavior factors with special regard to different types of supporting column systems", Proceedings of the Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, Leuven, Belgium.
- Christian, L. (2011b), "Free vibration and earthquake behavior of solar power plant chimneys", Proceedings of the III ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Corfu, Greece.
- Esmaeil, A., Rajan, A., Mrudula, S.K. and Sahebali, A. (2012), "Finite element analysis for structural response of rcc cooling tower shell considering alternative supporting systems", Int. J. Civil Eng. Technol., 3, 82-98.
- Eurocode 8 (2004), Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance.
- Gould, P.L. and Kratzig, W.B. (2005), Handbook of Structural Engineering, CRC Press, Germany.
- Hammam, A.H. and Eliwa, M. (2013), "Comparison between results of dynamic & static moduli of soil determined by different methods", HBRC J., 9, 144-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hbrcj.2013.05.002
- Jia, X. (2013), "Revisiting the failure mode of a RC hyperbolic cooling tower, considering changes of material and geometric properties", Eng. Struct., 47, 148-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.02.018
- Karisiddappa, Viladkar, M.N., Godbole, P.N. and Krishna, P. (1998), "Finite element analysis of column supported hyperbolic cooling towers using semi-loof shell and beam elements", Eng. Struct., 20(1-2), 75-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00048-5
- Krivoshapko, S.N. (2002), "Static, vibration, and buckling analyses and applications to one-sheet hyperboloidal shells of revolution", Appl. Mech. Rev., 55(3), 241-270. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1470479
- Kulkarni, S. and Kulkarni, A.V. (2014), "Case study of seismic effect on hyperbolic cooling towers", Civil Environ. Res., 6(11), 85-94.
- Kulkarni, S. and Kulkarni, A.V. (2014), "Static and dynamic analysis of hyperbolic cooling tower", J. Civil Eng. Technol. Res., 2, 39-61.
- Lang, C., Meiswinkel, R. and Filippou, F.C. (2002), "Non-linear analysis of shells of revolution with ring elements", Eng. Struct., 24(2), 163-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00090-6
- Murali, G., Vivek Vardhan, C.M. and PKRB, V. (2012), "Response of cooling towers to wind loads", ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 7(1), 114-120.
- Nasir, A.M., Thambiratnam, D.P., Butler, D. and Austin, P. (2002), "Dynamics of axisymmetric hyperbolic shell structures", Thin Wall. Struct., 40(7-8), 665-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(02)00019-8
- Noorzaei, J., Naghshineh, A., Kadir, M.R.A., Thanoon, W.A. and Jaafar, M.S. (2006), "Nonlinear interactive analysis of cooling tower-foundation-soil interaction under unsymmetrical wind load", Thin Wall. Struct., 44(9), 997-1005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.08.019
- Prashanth, N. and Sayeed, S. (2013), "To study the effect of seismic loads and wind load on hyperbolic cooling tower of varying dimensions and RCC shell thickness", Int. J. Emerg. Trend. Eng. Develop., 4, 260-269.
- Sabouri-Ghomi, S., Nik, F.A., Roufegarinejad, A. and Bradford, M.A. (2006), "Numerical study of the nonlinear dynamic behaviour of reinforced concrete cooling towers under earthquake excitation", Adv. Struct. Eng., 9(3), 433-442. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943306777641940
- SAP2000 (2011), Analyses Reference Manual.
- Saygun, A. and Celik, M. (2003), "Analysis of circular plates on two-parameter elastic foundation", Struct. Eng. Mech., 15(2), 249-267. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2003.15.2.249
- Tande, S.N. and Snehal, S.C. (2013), "Linear and nonlinear behavior of rc cooling tower under earthquake loading", Int. J. Lat. Trend. Eng. Technol., 2, 370-379.
- Vallabhan, C.V.G., Straughan, W.T. and Das, Y.C. (1991), "Refined model for analysis of plates on elastic foundations", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 117(12), 2830-2844. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1991)117:12(2830)
- Viladkar, M.N., Bhargava, P. and Godbole, P.N. (2006), "Static soil-structure interaction response of hyperbolic cooling towers to symmetrical wind loads", Eng. Struct., 28(9), 1236-1251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.11.010
- Weng, X.R., Dai, J.W. and Wu, J.X. (2013), "Nonlinear seismic responses analysis for a super cooling tower", Int. Effort. Lifeline Earthq. Eng., 105-112.
- Wolf, J.P. (1986), "Seismic analysis of cooling towers", Eng. Struct., 8(3), 191-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(86)90052-0
- Yang, Z.W. and Lu, W.D. (1992), "Static soil-structure interaction analysis by Fe-Be coupling method", Appl. Math. Model., 16(7), 384-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/0307-904X(92)90072-B
- Yang, Z.W. and Lu, W.D. (1994), "Dynamic soil-structure interaction analysis by a hybrid method", Mech. Struct. Mach., 22(1), 21-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/08905459408905203