- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An experimental study for the effect of soil plug on the basal heave stability for the vertical shaft excavation in clay
점성토 지반 수직구 굴착 중 히빙 안정성 증가에 대한 관내토 효과에 대한 실험적 연구
- Kang, Seok-Jun (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Cho, Gye-Chun (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Kim, Jung-Tae (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Cha, Yohan (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Hong, Eun-Soo (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST)
- 강석준 (KAIST 건설 및 환경공학과) ;
- 조계춘 (KAIST 건설 및 환경공학과) ;
- 김정태 (KAIST 건설 및 환경공학과) ;
- 차요한 (KAIST 건설 및 환경공학과) ;
- 홍은수 (KAIST 건설 및 환경공학과)
- Received : 2017.12.12
- Accepted : 2018.01.03
- Published : 2018.01.31
Recently, the need for research on vertical shaft excavation is increasing with the increase of the demands for the underground and utility tunnels. As a part of the R&D project of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, CUT (center for utility tunnel) has developed "Ring cut method". "Ring cut method" is a method to improve the stability of the ground against the basal heave by excavator wall pre-penetration during vertical shaft excavation. In this study, the basal heave was simulated by centrifugal model test. The basal heave, ground subsidence, and ground deformation of surrounding ground were analyzed by soil plug effect from wall pre-penetration. It was found that the soil plug could control the basal heaving and ground subsidence, and verified that the 'Ring cut method' could be a good countermeasure for the ground stability against the basal heave.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport of the Korea government
- Aksoy, C.O. (2008), "Chemical injection application at tunnel service shaft to prevent ground settlement induced by groundwater drainage: A case study", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 376-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2007.06.005
- ASTM. D. 2850-03a (2007), Standard Test Methods for Unconsolidated-Undrained Triaxial Compression Test on Cohesive Soils, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2003, DOI: 10.1520/D2850-03AR07.
- ASTM. D. 4318-93 (1994), Standard test method for liquid limit, plastic limit and plasticity index of soils. Annual Book of ASTM Standards 4, pp. 551-561.
- ASTM. D. 6913-04 (2009), Standard test methods for particle-size distribution (gradation) of soils using sieve analysis.
- Center for utility tunnel (2015), Development of core technology for urban small-diameter utility tunnel construction.
- Goh, A.T.C. (1994), "Estimating basal-heave stability for braced excavations in soft clay", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 120, No. 8, pp. 1430-1436. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1994)120:8(1430)
- Goh, A.T.C. (2017), "Basal heave stability of supported circular excavations in clay", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 61, pp. 145-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2016.10.005
- Hong, E.S., Cho, G.C., Baak, S.H., Jun, H.W. (2016), "Rapid construction technique development for vertical shafts of utility tunnels", KTA 2016 Annual Spring Conference, Seoul, Korea, pp. 129-130.
- Hsieh, P.G., Ou, C.Y., Liu, H.T. (2008), "Basal heave analysis of excavations with consideration of anisotropic undrained strength of clay", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 788-799. https://doi.org/10.1139/T08-006
- Khatri, V.N., Kumar, J. (2010), "Stability of an unsupported vertical circular excavation in clays under undrained condition", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 419-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2009.11.001
- Kim, D.S., Kim, N.R., Choo, Y.W., Cho, G.C. (2013), "A newly developed state-of-the-art geotechnical centrifuge in Korea", KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, pp. 77-84.
- Kim, K.Y., Lee, D.S., Jeong, S.S. (2012), "Analysis of earth pressure acting on vertical circular shaft considering aching effect (I): a study on centrifuge model tests", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 23-31. https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2012.28.2.23
- Schofield, A.N. (1980), "Cambridge geotechnical centrifuge operations", Geotechnique, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 227-268. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.124
- Shin, Y.W., Park, T.S., Lee, I.K. (2005), "A method of estimating earth pressure on a shaft wall and ground settlement caused by excavation", KSCE Tunnel Committee Special Conference, pp. 151-167.
- Shin, Y.W., Sagong, M. (2007), "A rational estimating method of the earth pressure on a shaft wall considering the shape ratio", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 143-155.
- Taylor, R.N. (1995), "Centrifuges in modelling: principles and scale effects", Geotechnical Centrifuge Technology, pp. 19-33.
- Terzaghi, K., Peck, R.B. (1948), Soil mechanics in engineering practice, John Wile and Sons, New York.
- Thielicke, W., Stamhuis, E.J. (2014), "PIVlab-towards user-friendly, affordable and accurate digital particle image velocimetry in MATLAB", Journal of Open Research Software, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 30.