- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Linear cutting machine test for assessment of the cutting performance of a pick cutter in sedimentary rocks
퇴적층 암석의 픽 커터 절삭성능 평가를 위한 선형절삭시험
- Jeong, Hoyoung (Dept. of Energy Systems Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Jeon, Seokwon (Dept. of Energy Systems Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.12.07
- Accepted : 2018.01.10
- Published : 2018.01.31
We carried out a series of linear cutting machine tests to assess the cutting performance of a pick cutter in sedimentary rock. The specimens were Linyi sandstone from China and Concrete (rock-like material, conglomerate). Using the small scaled LCM system, we estimated the cutter force and specific energy under different cutting conditions. The cutter forces (cutting and normal) increased with penetration depth and cutter spacing in two rock types, and it was affected by the strength of specimens. On the other hand, the ratio of the peak cutter force to the mean cutter force was influenced by cutting characteristic and composition of rock rather than rock strength. The cutting coefficient was affected by the friction characteristic between rock and pick cutter rather than the cutting conditions. Therefore, the optimal cutting angle can be determined by considering of cutting coefficient and resultant force of pick cutter. The optimum cutting condition was determined from the relationship between the specific energy and cutting condition. For two specimens, the optimum s/p ratio was found to be two to four, and the specific energy decreased with the penetration depth. The result from this study can be used as background database to understand the cutting mechanism of a pick cutter, also it can be used to design for the mechanical excavator.
Supported by : 건설교통과학기술진흥원
- Balci, C., Bilgin, N. (2007), "Correlative study of linear small and full-scale rock cutting tests to select mechanized excavation machines", International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 468-476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2006.09.001
- Bilgin, N., Demircin, M.A., Copur, H., Balci, C., Tuncdemir, H., Akcin, N. (2006), "Dominant rock properties affecting the performance of conical picks and the comparison of some experimental and theoretical results", International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 139-156.
- Bilgin, N., Copur, H., Balci, C. (2013), Mechanical Excavation in Mining and Civil Industries, CRC press, London, pp. 89.
- Chang, S.H., Choi, S.W., Bae, G.J., Jeon, S. (2006), "Performance prediction of TBM disc cutting on granitic rock by the linear cutting test", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2005.12.131
- Chang, S.H., Choi, S.W., Park, Y.T., Lee, G.P., Bae, G.J. (2012), "Characterization of the deformation of a disc cutter in linear rock cutting test", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 197-213. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2012.14.3.197
- Cho, J.W. (2010), Linear cutting test and numerical study on the assessment of rock cuttability of a TBM disc cutter, Ph.D. Thesis, Seoul National University, pp. 69-70.
- Choi, S.W., Chang, S.H., Park, Y.T., Lee, G.P. (2014a), "Performance estimation of conical picks with slim design by the linear cutting test (I): depending on attack angle variation", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 573-584. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2014.16.6.573
- Choi, S.W., Chang, S.H., Lee G.P., Park, Y.T. (2014b), "Performance estimation of conical picks with slim design by the linear cutting test (II): depending on skew angle variation", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 585-597. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2014.16.6.585
- Choi, S.W., Kang, T.H., Chang, S.H., Lee, C.H., Lee, G.P., Kim, C.Y. (2016), "Performance estimation depending on the insert size of conical picks by linear cutting test", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 221-233. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2016.18.2.221
- Choi, S.W., Chang, S.H., Lee, C.H., Lee, G.P., Bae, Y.H., Ha, T.W. (2015), "Performance evaluation of conical picks for roadheader in copper mines", Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 496-504. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2015.25.6.496
- Copur, H., Balci, C., Tumac, D., Bilgin, N. (2011), "Field and laboratory studies on natural stones leading to empirical performance prediction of chain saw machines", International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 269-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2010.11.011
- Evans, I. (1984), "A theory of the cutting force for point attack picks", International Journal of Mining Engineering, Vol. 2, No.1, pp. 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00880858
- Goktan, R.M. (1990), "Effect of cutter pick rake angle on the failure pattern of high strength rocks", Mineral Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 281-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-9031(90)90981-W
- Jeong, H.Y., Lee, S.D., Jeon, S.W. (2014), "Current and future study on assessment of cutting performance of hard rock TBM in Korea", The 14th World Conference of the Associated research Centers for the Urban Underground Space, Seoul.
- Jeong, H.Y., Jeon, S.W. (2016), "Numerical study for estimation of cutting performance of pick cutter", 2016 Korea-Japan Joint Symposium on Rock engineering, Daejeon.
- Jeong, H.Y., Cho, J.W., Jeon, S.W., Rostami, J. (2016), "Performance assessment of hard rock TBM and rock boreability using punch penetration test, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 1517-1532. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-015-0834-7
- Jeong, H.Y., Jeon, S.W. (2017), "Characteristic of size distribution of rock chip produced by rock cutting with a pick cutter", International Conference of Tunnels and Underground Spaces, Ilsan.
- Kang, H., Jang, J.S., Park, J.Y., Cho, J.W., Jung, M.S., Lee., J.W. (2016), "Method for measuring 3-axis cutting force of a pick cutter using the single-axis load cell array", Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 40, No. 9, pp. 749-755. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2016.40.9.749
- Kim, T.H., Jeon, S.W. (2016), "A study on shear characteristics of a rock discontinuity under various thermal, hydraulic and mechanical conditions", Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 68-86. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2016.26.2.068
- Nishimatsu, Y. (1972), "The mechanics of the rock cutting", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 261-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(72)90027-7
- Roxborough, F.F., Liu, Z.C. (1995), "Theoretical considerations on pick shape in rock and coal cutting", Proceeding of the 6th Underground Operator's Conference, Kalgoorlie, WA, Australia, pp. 189-193.
- Tuncdemir, H., Bilgin, N., Copur, H., Balci, C. (2008), "Control of rock cutting efficiency by muck size", International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 278-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2007.04.010
- Yang, S.Q., Jing, H.W. (2011), "Strength failure and crack coalescence behavior of brittle sandstone samples containing a single fissure under uniaxial compression", International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 168, No. 2, pp. 227-250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10704-010-9576-4