- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influences of Cognitive Distortion and Depression on Gambling Severity in Koreans with Gambling Disorders
도박장애 대상자의 도박인지오류와 우울이 도박문제 심각도에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Kee-Lyong (Department of Nursing, Suwon Science College) ;
- Hong, Jung-Ah (Department of Nursing, Aansan University)
- Received : 2017.06.15
- Accepted : 2017.08.24
- Published : 2017.09.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify levels of cognitive distortion, depression, and gambling severity and to identify the influences of cognitive distortion and depression on gambling severity in Koreans with a gambling disorder. Methods: The participants in this study were 150 Koreans with a gambling disorder. Data were collected using self-report structured questionnaires which included individual characteristics, the Gambling Related Cognitions Scale, the Center for the Epidemiologic Studies Depression, and the Problem Gambling Severity Index. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and multiple regression. Results: Gambling severity had a significant correlation with gambling related cognitions scale-perceived inability to stop gambling (r=.29, p<.001) and depression (r=.34, p<.001). Among predictors, depression (
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing Inc; 2013. 991 p.
- Ciccarelli M, Griffiths MD, Nigro G, Cosenza M. Decision making, cognitive distortions and emotional distress: a comparison between pathological gamblers and healthy controls. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry. 2017;54:204-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2016.08.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2016.08.012
- Barrault S, Varescon I. Cognitive distortions, anxiety, and depression among regular and pathological gambling online porker players. Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking. 2013;16(3):183-188. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2012.0150 https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2012.0150
- Romer Thomsen K, Callesen MB, Linnet J, Kringerlbach ML, Molle A. Severity of gambling is associated with severity of depressive symptoms in pathological gamblers. Behavioral Pharmacology. 2009;20(5-6):527-536. https://doi.org/10.1097/FBP.0B013E3283305E7A https://doi.org/10.1097/FBP.0b013e3283305e7a
- Oei TP, Lin J, Raylu N. The relationship between gambling cognitions psychological states and gambling: a cross-cultural study of Chinese and Caucasians in Australia. Journal of Cross- Cultural Psychology. 2008;39(2):147-161. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022107312587
- Lee HP. The effect of irrational gambling belief to the pathological gambling. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2003;22(2):415-434.
- Yang KH, Chang MS, Kwak HW, Koo BH. The effects of irrational gambling belief and reports of wins on gambling behavior. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2012;17(2):371-384.
- Kallmen H, Anderson P, Andren A. Are irrational beliefs and depressive mood more common among problem gamblers than non-gamblers? a survey study of Swedish problem gamblers and controls. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2008;24:441-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-008-9101-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-008-9101-0
- Quigely L, Yakovenko I, Hodgins DC, Dobson KS, El-Guebaly N, Casey DM, et al. Comorbid problem gambling and major depression in a community sample. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2015;31(4):1135-1152. https://doi.org/10.1007/S10899-014-9488-8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-014-9488-8
- Wood RTA, Griffiths MD. A qualitative investigation of problem gambling as an escape-based coping strategy. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory. 2007:80(1);107-125. https://doi.org/10.1348/147608306X107881 https://doi.org/10.1348/147608306X107881
- Fortune EE, Goodie AS. Cognitive distortions as a component and treatment focus of pathological gambling: a review. Psychology of Addiction Behaviors. 2012;26(2):298-310. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026422 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026422
- Steenbergh TA, Meyers AW, May RK, Whlean JP. Development and validation of the gamblers' beliefs questionnaire. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 2002;16(2):143-149. https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-164X.16.2.143 https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-164X.16.2.143
- Toeneatto T. Cognitive psychopathology of problem gambling. Substance Use and Misuse. 1999:34(11):1593-1604. https://doi.org/10.3109/10826089909039417 https://doi.org/10.3109/10826089909039417
- Raylu N, Oei TP. The gambling related cognitions scale (GRCS): development, confirmatory factor validation and psychometric properties. Addiction. 2004;99(6):757-769. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00753.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00753.x
- Kim KH. The stage of change of problem gamblers for gambling abstinence, motivation for change of gambling abstinence, gambling cognitive errors, and gambling refusal selfefficacy [dissertation]. Daegu: Daegu University; 2013. 120 p.
- Sharp L, Tarrier N. Towards a cognitive-behavioral theory of problem gambling behavior. British Journal of Psychiatry. 1993;162(3):407-412. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.162.3.407 https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.162.3.407
- Kim SW, Grant JE, Eckert ED, Faris PL, Hartman BK. Pathological gambling and mood disorders: clinical associations and treatment implications. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2006;92(1):109-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.12.040 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.12.040
- Lister JJ, Milosevic A, Ledgerwood DM. Psychological characteristics of problem gamblers with and without mood disorder. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2015;60(8):369-376. https://doi.org/10.1177/070674371506000806 https://doi.org/10.1177/070674371506000806
- Han YO, Kim HJ, Lee YS, Kim HW, Kim TW, Lee JG. Psychological characteristics of the gambler visiting gambling treatment center. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2012;17(2):353-369. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.2.005
- The National Gambling Control Commission of Korea. Survey on the gambling industry using state. [internet]. Seoul: The National Gambling Control Commission of Korea. 2010. [cited 2010 Sep 3]. Available from: http://www.ngcc.go.kr/data/pds.do
- Oei TPS, Lin J, Raylu N. Validation of the Chinese version of the Gambling Related Congnitions Scale (GRCS-C). Journal of International Gambling Studies. 2007;7(1):101-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-006-9040-6 https://doi.org/10.1080/14459790601157970
- Chon KK, Choi SC, Yang BC. Integrated adaptation of CES-D in Korea. Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2001;6(1):59-76.
- Jung IK, Kwak DI, Shin DK, Lee MS, Lee HS, Kim JY. A reliabilty and validity study of geriatric depression scale. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. 1997;36(1):103-112.
- Hong JA. Factors influencing recognition of motivation for change in pathological gamblers. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2016;25(3):227-236. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.3.227 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.3.227
- Ferris J, Wynne H. The Canadian Problem Gambling Index. Final Report. Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse; 2001. February.
- Leonard CA, Williams RJ. The relationship between gambling fallacies and problem gambling. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 2016;30(6):694-704. https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000189 https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000189
- Park CY, Kim YY, Yoo YH, Hur TK. Psychological and social factors in problem gambling. Journal of Leisure Studies. 2009;7(2):113-136.
- Lee CM. The relationship between irrational gambling belief, self-esteem and social gambling abstinence period of pathological gambler-with emphasis on participants of gamblers anonymous. Koran Academy of Practical Human Welfare. 2015;14:93-106.
- Petry NM, Ammerman Y, Bohl J, Doersch A, Gay H, Kadden R, et al. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for pathological gamblers. Journal of Consullting and Clinial Psychology. 2006;74(3):555-567. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.74.3.555 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.74.3.555
- Yang S, Hong JA. Factors influencing family-function in families of pathological gamblers. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2015:24(3):196-206. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.3.196 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.3.196