- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Phenomenological Study on Experience of Clinical Supervision by Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners
정신건강간호사가 받은 슈퍼비전 경험
- Lee, Sung-Nam (Seoul Metropolitan Government.Graduate School, Hanyang University) ;
- Yoo, Eun-Kwang (School of Nursing, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2017.03.10
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
Purpose: The main purpose of this study was to identify the essential meaning of clinical supervision for psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners. Methods: Data were collected in 2015 through individual in-depth interviews using open-ended questions from 9 women psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners. Each interview lasted about 90 minutes. Verbatim transcripts were analyzed using the Giorgi's phenomenological analysis method. Results: The results of the analysis showed the following four categories: 'Barren mental health site alone', 'Enduring with reflective supervision', 'Professional competence enhanced by continuous supervision', 'Maintaining a healthy life balance as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner'. Conclusion: The findings in this study provide helpful insights for understanding the need for clinical supervision in the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner course. The results also provide support for the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner course and practice development for psychiatric mental health nurses at the work site.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2011 The epidemiological survey of mental disorders in Korea. Press release [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2012 Feb [cited 2012 Feb 15]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&BOARD_ID=140&BOARD_FLAG=00&CONT_SEQ=266 858&page=1
- Kim KH, Lee SN, Kim JY, Go JA. Clinical supervision for psychiatric mental health practitioner: practical guide. Seoul: Hyumoonsa; 2016. 102 p.
- Yang S, Park IT, Yoon MS, Lee WK, Jung SY, Moon YH, et al. A survey of mental health professional training agencies and quality assurance system development. Seoul: The Catholic University of Korea; Management Center for Health Promotion; 2007. Report No. 06-04.
- Kim JJ, Lee JS, Kim HK, Lee WH, Kim MS, Jang HS. A study on the development of accreditation system and continuing education guideline for mental health professional training. Seoul: Korea Association of Mental Health Professionals and Korea Health Promotion Foundation Management Center for Health Promotion; 2011. Report No. 11-05.
- Chae EH, Lee HY. The present state of training system for mental health professionals. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management. 2014;8(1):175-189. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.1.175
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Mental health professional system operating guide. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2010. [cited 2017 May 31]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb030301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=0320&CONT_SEQ=226454&page=1
- Yoo MS, Choi MS, Chung YK. Qualitative study about supervision experience of experienced play-therapist. Korean Journal of Play Therapy. 2009;12(4):19-42.
- Kwon JY, Moon YJ. Effects of the self-efficacy of mental health social worker trainees and perception of supervisory style on the performance of supervision. Mental Health and Social Work. 2014;42(3):178-207.
- Choi WH. Study on the critical success factors (CSFs) of social work supervision. Journal of Korean Social Welfare Administration. 2010;12(3):75-111.
- Lyth G. Clinical supervision: a concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2000;31(3):722-729. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01329.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01329.x
- Cassedy Paul. First steps in clinical supervision: a guide for healthcare professionals. Berkshire, UK. GBR: McGraw-Hill International Open University Press; 2010. 216 p.
- Bond M, Holland S. Skills of clinical supervision for nurses: a practical guide for supervisees, clinical supervisors and managers. 2nd ed. Berkshire, UK. GBR: McGraw-Hill International Open University Press; 2011. 318 p.
- Giorgi A. Phenomenology and psychological research. Shin KR, Jang YJ, Park IS, Jung SE, translator. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa; 2004. 261 p.
- Sandelowski M. The problem of rigor in qualitative research. Advances in Nursing Science. 1986;8(3):27-37. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198604000-00005
- Kim MH, Kim HN, Shin YM, Oh HM, Lee JS. Violence experiences of community mental health nurse. Journal of the Korea Academia-industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16(12):8626-8636. https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8626 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8626
- Edwards D, Byrard P, Hanningan B, Cooper L, Adams J, Juggerur T, et al. Clinical supervision and burnout: the influence of clinical supervision for community mental health nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2006;15(8):1007-1015. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01370.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01370.x
- Harkas K, Appelqvist-Schmidlechner K, Haataja R. Efficacy of clinical supervision: Influence ence on job satisfaction, burnout and quality of care. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2006;55(4):521-535. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03936.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03936.x
- White E, Winstanley J. A Randomised controlled trial of clinical supervision: selected findings from a novel australian attempt to establish the evidence base for causal relationships ships with quality of care and patient outcomes, as an informed contribution to mental health nursing practice development. Journal of Research in Nursing. 2010;15(2):151-167. https://doi.org/10.1177/1744987109357816 https://doi.org/10.1177/1744987109357816
- Hanyes R, Corney G, Moulton P. Clinical supervision: a practical guide. 1st ed. Kim CD, Yu SK, Kim HS, Choi HN, translator. Seoul: Sigmaplus; 2006. 423 p.
- Yoo YG, Kim KH, Kim MK, Moon YJ, Son EJ, Son JH, et al. Counseling supervision. 13th ed. Seoul: Hakjisa; 2013. 411 p.
- Bang KY. Counseling theory and practice. Yswpub; Seoul. 2011. 284 p.
- Kilminster SM, Jolly BC. Effective supervision in clinical practice setting: a literature review. Medical Education. 2000;34(10):827-840. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2000.00758.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2000.00758.x
- Sloan G. Clinical supervision: beginning the supervisory relationship. British Journal of Nursing. 2005;14(17):918-923. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2005.14.17.19756 https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2005.14.17.19756
- Soh SY, Chang SS. A study on the components of effective supervision perceived by supervisors. Korean Journal of Counselling. 2011;12(3):1051-1067. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.1051
- Benner P. From novice to expert. The American Journal of Nursing. 1982;82(3):402-407
- Choi HN, Kim CD. The demensionality of supervisees' perceptions of a good supervisory relationship. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2008;20(1):1-21.
- Wright J. Clinical supervision: a review of the evidence base. Nursing Standard. 2012;27(3):44-49. https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2012.09.27.3.44.c9298 https://doi.org/10.7748/ns.27.5.44.s53