- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reduction of Control Signal Overhead for Electric Vehicle Charging Operation in Smart Grid System
- Kwon, Ojin (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University) ;
- Kim, Pilkee (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University) ;
- Yoon, Yong-Jin (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University)
- Received : 2016.06.28
- Accepted : 2017.01.30
- Published : 2017.04.01
Smart grid systems have been proposed to replace the conventional power distribution system in order to accommodate future market penetration of electric vehicles (EVs). Nevertheless, there are many factors to consider when large numbers of EVs require simultaneous charging in the smart grid. Among various optimization schemes, the most updated schemes proposed charging with coordination to optimize EV charging performance. In this case, huge amount of control signals are involved in the coordinated charging, therefore the charging performance is retarded. In this paper, a new threshold-based charging operation with historical average data of the EV charging system to improve the EV charging performance is proposed by minimizing control signal overhead, instead of maximum power delivery to all EVs. The moving average of historical data for BSOC levels of the EVs can properly approximate the charging profile of the EVs over time thus enabling the development of an optimization algorithm based on the threshold method. Up to 33% of the reduction in the control signal overhead is achieved with slight trade off in the power delivery to the EVs.
Supported by : Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore, A*STAR IME
- Herrmann, C., Schmidt, C., Kurle, D., Blume, S., and Thiede, S., "Sustainability in Manufacturing and Factories of the Future," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf.-Green Tech., Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 283-292, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-014-0034-z
- Chen, Y.-C., Chu, C. N., Sun, H.-M., Chen, R.-S., Chen, L.-C., et al., "Application of Green Collaboration Operation on Network Industry," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf.-Green Tech., Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 73-83, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-015-0010-2
- Kwon, O. and Yoon, Y.-J., "Optimizing Present Power Distribution System and Novel Renewable Energy Sources for Tamil Nadu in India Using Homer," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 1695-1701, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-014-0521-8
- Bhandari, B., Ahn, S.-H., and Ahn, T.-B., "Optimization of Hybrid Renewable Energy Power System for Remote Installations: Case Studies for Mountain and Island," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 815-822, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-016-0100-2
- Choi, H. J., Han, G. D., Min, J. Y., Bae, K., and Shim, J. H., "Economic Feasibility of a PV System for Grid-Connected Semiconductor Facilities in South Korea," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 2033-2041, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-013-0277-6
- Sortomme, E., Hindi, M. M., MacPherson, S. J., and Venkata, S., "Coordinated Charging of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles to Minimize Distribution System Losses," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 198-205, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2010.2090913
- Acha, S., Green, T. C., and Shah, N., "Effects of Optimised Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle Charging Strategies on Electric Distribution Network Losses," Proc. of Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- Sundstrom, O. and Binding, C., "Flexible Charging Optimization for Electric Vehicles Considering Distribution Grid Constraints," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 26-37, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2168431
- Masoum, A. S., Deilami, S., Moses, P., Masoum, M., and Abu-Siada, A., "Smart Load Management of Plug-in Electric Vehicles in Distribution and Residential Networks with Charging Stations for Peak Shaving and Loss Minimisation Considering Voltage Regulation," Proc. of IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 5, No. 8, pp. 877-888, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2010.0574
- Clement-Nyns, K., Haesen, E., and Driesen, J., "The Impact of Charging Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles on a Residential Distribution Grid," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 371-380, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2036481
- Richardson, P., Flynn, D., and Keane, A., "Optimal Charging of Electric Vehicles in Low-Voltage Distribution Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 268-279, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2158247
- Zhang, P., Qian, K., Zhou, C., Stewart, B. G., and Hepburn, D. M., "A Methodology for Optimization of Power Systems Demand due to Electric Vehicle Charging Load," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1628-1636, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2186595
- Gesbert, D. and Alouini, M.-S., "How Much Feedback is Multi-User Diversity Really Worth?" Proc. of 2004 IEEE International Conference on Communications, pp. 234-238, 2004.
- Hayes, J. G. and Davis, K., "Simplified Electric Vehicle Powertrain Model for Range and Energy Consumption Based on EPA Coast-Down Parameters and Test Validation by Argonne National Lab Data on the Nissan Leaf," Proc. of Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo, pp. 1-6, 2014.
- Bellabdaoui, A. and Teghem, J., "A Mixed-Integer Linear Programming Model for the Continuous Casting Planning," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 104, No. 2, pp. 260-270, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2004.10.016
- Tesla Motors, "Model Specifications," http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs (Accessed 13 MAR 2017)