- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Job Stress and Ego-Resilience on Nursing Performance New Nurse In Secondary Hospitals
2차 병원 신규간호사의 직무스트레스와 자아탄력성이 간호업무성과에 미치는 영향
- Min, Sun-Young (Dept. of Nursing, Ilsin Christian Hospital) ;
- Park, Jung-Suk (College of Nursing, Kosin University)
- Received : 2017.08.31
- Accepted : 2017.11.20
- Published : 2017.11.28
This is an explanatory study to figure out the relationship job stress, the ego-resilience, and nursing performance of new nurses. The data were collected from 198 new nurses who have been working for 6-12 months in six secondary hospitals in province from February 16 to April 30, 2016. The degree of nursing performance were found to be high and the degree of job stress and ego-resilience were found to be middle. There was negative correlation between job stress and nursing performance. There was positive correlation between ego-resilience and nursing performance. Factors influencing nursing performance were ego-resilience, job stress, Motivation to choose nursing which explained 33.6% of the variance. It is suggested to highlight the importance of the nursing performance and to develop and execute the nursing intervention program for enhancing the ego-resilience of new nurses.
- H. O. Kim, S. C. Shin, "Nurses' work experience in an individual medium sized hospital", Journal of Qualitative Research, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 15-32, 2004.
- Y. H. Jo, I. H. Park, J. E. Go, H. J. Choi, O. H. An, H. G. Kim, S. J. Yang, E. N. Jung, H. J. Choi, M. S. Sim, N. H. Cha, S. J. Jo, "Community health nursing", Seoul: Hyunmoon, 2014.
- N. J. Lee, J. H. Kim, "Perception of patient safety culture and safety care activity among nurses in small-medium sized general hospitals", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 462-473, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.462
- J. O. Kwon, E-Y. Kim, "Impact of unit-level nurse practice environment on nurse turnover intention in the small and medium sized hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 414-423, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.414
- K. N. Kang, "Factors influencing turnover intention of nurses in small-medium sized hospitals", e Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 18, No. 2. pp. 155-165, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.155
- Hospital nurses association, "Hospital nurses association 2015 Annual Report; Hospital nurse staffing Status Survey", Hospital nurses association, 2015.
- M. A. Kim, K. O. Park, S. J. Yu, M. J. Kim, E. S. Kim, "A survey of nursing activities in small and medium-size hospitals: reasons for turnover", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 15, No. pp. 149-165, 2009.
- S. H .Park, "The impact of resilience on nursing outcome of clinical nurses", Master's thesis. Kyung Hee University, 2014.
- N. Northcott, "Reflections on performance" Nursing Times, Vol. 93, No. 26, pp. 49-52, 1996.
- C. S. Yang, Relationship between professional nurse autonomy and nursing performance. Master's thesis. Yonsei University, 2004.
- K. O. Park, J. K. Kim, "A study on experience of transition from new clinical nurse to competent step", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 594-605, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.594
- Y. H. Chung, "Comparative study of professional self-concept and role conflict between new graduated nurse and experienced nurse in ICU", Master's thesis. Hanyang University, 2007.
- C. J. Kim, J. W. Park, "An exploratory study of role adaptation of newly employed nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 50-60, 1990.
- H. K. Shin, "Organizational socialization of new staff nurses and its related factors" Master's thesis. Yonsei University, 2004.
- H. M. Son, M. H. Koh, C. M. Kim, J. H. Moon, "The clinical experiences of adaptation as a new nursing staff", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 988-997, 2001. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.6.988
- S. S. Kim, G. S. Chae, K. N. Kim, K. O Park, S. M. Moon, "Survey on nursing care delivery systems of university affiliated hospitals in Korea", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 167-175, 2010.
- J. H. Park , I. S.Chun, "The lived experience of newly employed nurses: Phenomenological study", Qualitative Research. Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 99-110, 2008.
- E. S. Byun, "A study on the relationship between newly graduated nurses' intention to turnover and job stress/satisfaction", Master's thesis. Yonsei University, 2009. Seoul. (in Korean).
- S. J. Lee, M. K. Kang, S. H. Kwon, K. H. Song, J. H. Lee, J. R. Choi, "A study on job stress between experienced versus new nurse", The chung-Ang Journal of Nursing, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 89-99, 2002.
- S. M. Kim, "The ego-state, job stress and nursing performance in new nurses", Master's thesis. Catholic University, 2013.
- D. H. Lim, "Job stress and nursing performance among Korean emergency nurses", Master's thesis. Ajou University, 2013.
- D. Jackson, A. Firtko, M. Edenborough, "Personal resilience as a strategy for surviving and thriving in the face of workplace adversity: A literature review", Journal of advanced Nursing, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04412.x
- K. M. Connor, "Assessment of resilience in the aftermath of trauma", Journal Clinical Psychiatry, Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 46-49, 2006.
- K. Tusaie, J. Dyer, "Resilience: A historical review of the construct", Holistic Nursing Practice, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 3-10, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004650-200401000-00002
- G. S. Park, "The relationship among job stress, resilience and turnover intention of new nurses", Master's thesis. Sungkyunkwan University, 2012.
- Y. H. Kim, K. H. Suh, "Relationships between job stresses, ego-resilience, stress responses, and quality of service among hospital employees", The Korean journal of health psychology, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 329-345, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2011.16.2.006
- Y. H. Lee, G. A. Seomum, "Effects of MBO and job commitment on nursing performance in operating room nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 309-316, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.309
- Y. M. Cho, M. S. Choi, "Effect of clinical nurses's basic psychological need, self-leadership and job stress on nursing performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 343-353, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.343
- J. H. Park, S. K. Chung, "Influence of emotional labor, communication competence and resilience on nursing performance in university hospital nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 10, pp. 236-244, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.236
- A. R. Han, S. H. Kwon, "Effects of self-leadership and self-efficacy on nursing performance of nurses working in long-term care hospitals", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 12-21, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2016.18.1.12
- A. S. Lee, C. K. Yoon, J. K. Park, "Effects of social support and ego-resilience on nursing performance of hospital nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 283-289, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.283
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner, A. G. Lang, "Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses", Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 1149-1160, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- M. J .Kim, M. O. Gu, "The development of the stresses measurement tool for staff nurses working in the hospital", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 28-37. 1984.
- K. M. Connor, J. R. T. Davidson, "Development of an new resilience scale: The Conner-Davidson resilience scale (CD-RISC)", Depression and Anxiety, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 76-82, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.10113
- H. S. Baek, "Reliability and validity of the Korean version of the Connor-Davidson Resilience Scale (K-CD-RISC)", Master's thesis. Eulji University, 2010.
- S. A .Park, "An exploratory study on the relationship between leadership style and performance in Korena nursing units" The seoul journal of Nursing, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 45-61, 1988.
- Y. J. Ko, "A study of the effect of emotional intelligence and job stress on the job satisfaction for nurses", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 2245-2256, 2016.
- B. K. Cha, J. Choi, "A comparative study on perception of patient safety culture and safety care activities: comparing university hospital nurses and small hospital nurses" The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 405-416, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.4.405
- Y. O. Suh, K. W. Lee, "Lived experiences of new graduate nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 227-238, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.227
- S. Y. Yang, "The study on relationship between empathy, ego resilience, and clinical competence of the nursing students", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 1699-1710, 2015.